Overpowered Player Assets

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Jul 2, 2016.

1. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

While I'm playing Bio Shock 2, I quickly discovered that the Hack Dart Tool can be a very overpowered item, since you can hit just about every camera and turret with it at long range with out stunning them first plus there is always something to duck behind when the hack meter comes up (I have even reset cameras and turrets in rooms that had splicers in them with out them knowing).

And speaking of the Bio Shock games, the plasmids Electrobolt and Incinerate give the player a huge advantage, electrobolt can stun almost anything that is hostile or instantly kill splicers standing in water, and you can conserve a lot of ammo with incinerate since you set things on fire and most splicers will frantically try to put them self out allowing clear shots with any weapon (Not to mention that a flaming splicer may run into more causing the fire to spread).

2. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Can't speak of Bioshock 1, but in Bioshock 2 I pretty much stopped using plasmids after a while.
    And agreed on the Hack Dart Tool. I do happen to know that in Bioshock 1 you had to walk up to the machine in question and let loose your plumbing skill (because fixing your water pipe = hacking amirite) and hope you don't get brained by the locals while doing so.
    In Bioshock 2 it became a pretty easy QTE, really, and you were basically able to hack whatever was on the other side of Rapture if there was a clear LOF
    My loadout in B2 was basically Drill + Hack tool and you were good to go. Had the machinegun and rivet gun for big daddies/sisters.

3. TheSkeletor27

TheSkeletor27 Seal Broken

If you play Neverwinter Nights here is one.

Devastating critical - roll to save, if fail, you die

yep, instant death to your foe

4. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

The Spray n' Pray from Fallout 4. Under the new legendary weapon system, you can occasionally find weapons with some sort of bonus effect. One example is the 'explosive' effect for guns, which causes projectiles to explode on impact to deal AoE damage. The explosions are even affected by the player's perks, potentially increasing their damage and effect radius. The Spray n' Pray is a unique submachine gun with this effect, and can be purchased from one of the wandering caravans for a sizeable but far from unaffordable fee. The end result is a well-upgraded weapon with a high rate of fire, that can cause constant explosions in a target area. Any targets in the area will find their limbs and other body parts crippled very quickly, which can backfire if you or your allies happen to be too close to the target.

By extension, you can probably list the entire 'explosive' legendary effect as overpowered. If you get it on a weapon with a high rate of fire (e.g. a minigun), plentiful ammo (e.g. a pipe gun) and / or multiple projectiles (e.g. a shotgun), you can absolutely annihilate most targets.

5. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Funny story with that one... used to play on an RP server. I had a Bard/Red Dragon Disciple/Fighter (most of the levels were on Fighter) that was just... ridiculously OP melee.

There was this story battle where a DM made himself "invincible", some kind of big demon thing and we were supposed to fight him and then a hero was supposed to show up or something.

Well... 5 seconds into the fight... "DEVASTATING CRITICAL!" and ... the "Invincible" DM-d character dies. instantly. I rolled a 20. He rolled a 1 on his Fort save. We were all OOCly laughing our butts off.

Jonesy likes this.
  6. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

Blaster Master Zero EVERY weapon feels ridiculously broken.
    Homing missile that ignores terrain and can be rapid fired,
    Laser wall mine thing that will zorch anything that steps in it.
    Explosive shot that will one shot everything worth killing.
    Acceleration beam for killing things that aren't worth killing,
    (someone please make a gif of that)

out of Sophia your other weapons are also crazy powerful, striker can clear rooms with ease, the max rank gun stuns and damages everything and pierces walls. 'Turret' grenade causes enemies to target it instead of you making it trivial to avoid some of the more dangerous ones. flash bang stuns everything in the room.
    and Sophia support is just lulzy broken. Sure you only get one shot. but any normal weapon pickup will replenish that shot and you can gain that powerup from the room of enemies you just nuked. Also works on bosses.

Xylia likes this.
  7. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Skyrim has some very broken items
    THE LOCKPICKS

HUHUHUHUHU

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yeah I played that game and I was like "... oi..." when I saw some of the crazy weapons.

Though I blew myself up once with the heavy cannon. Fun times.

9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I made a wooden sword with an enchantment once.
    200 damage base + 11 fire damage for like, 100 charges.

To add an original one: Spectre assault rifle (forgot the name) in Mass Effect 1, and the Mattock Heavy Rifle in Mass Effect 2.
    Fun times.
    For me, at least.
    Average enemy could take two rounds justabouts.

Also Stormtroopers with Meltas, Merrick with an autocannon, and Bernn with the right abilities in Dawn of War 2 - Retribution. Holy diggity damnation. The destruction of the enemies of the Imperium was swift, remorseless, and cheesy beyond belief. Kyras lasted about 25 seconds. If only the Lord General were as good in the Last Stand as they are in the campaign. Might make him fun to play. :p

10. LOL BALL

LOL BALL Existential Complex

Pretty much every run in the game Dungeon Souls after a few hours of playing.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

@Firestorm258 :

Mattock Heavy Rifle? What about that red machine gun, what was that called? Vindicator or something like that? That thing was freaking ridiculous. They heavily nerfed it in ME3. Though I suppose it DID require being a soldier and picking it up in the collector ship, but still. That thing would just destroy entire enemy squads, esp. if you used Warp Ammo.

12. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

The Vindicator is a grayish blue 3-burst fire assault rifle. Quite strong but not OP in my opinion.

Did you perhaps mean the gatling goodness sprayer's heaven M-76 Revenant not-as-much-an-assault-rifle-as-a-LMG?
    I'm just going to not even talk about that. You're entirely right. It basically mowed down EVERYTHING.

13. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Yes, Revenant. I couldn't remember what it was called. I just know that it is Red, it's a Bullet Hose, and it's got a ginormous clip size.

Parrotte likes this.
  14. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

And now after coming home from work... I remembered something else about the Revenant that made it overpowered as all crap:

The game's ammo system revolved around disposable heatsinks, and the guns generated lots of heat which required the heatsinks to deal with.

You can find heatsinks laying on the ground that are dropped by enemies that you kill, and each heatsink gives you a % of the gun's maximum ammo capacity. Being that the Revenant has THE biggest clip size and maximum ammo capacity in the game (625 IIRC? vs the 2nd best of like 400ish?), each heatsink you pick up gives you far more bullets with the Revenant than any other gun, which allows you to continue hosing enemies with bullets.

Seriously, I NEVER ran out of "ammo" with this thing, like, ever. I could do entire missions with just that one gun.

The game also allowed add-on mods to your weapons... and for some reason, despite the Revenant being basically an LMG.... sticking a recoil suppression mod on the gun... gave it almost zero kick. So... you got an LMG that almost never runs out of ammo AND can be used like a sniper rifle. Yay.

15. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

And there you have the reason why the thing was overpowered.
    From the moment I got it I ran out of ammo once. And only because I was hip firing the thing wildly without being concerned about my ammo.
    And even then, I "unfortunately" had to switch to the slightly less OP but still massacring Geth Plasma Shotgun.

Want to cakewalk ME2? Go Soldier, go assault rifle, put 3 points into Disruptor ammo, sink everything in your class skills, go stormtrooper. Everything I couldn't peacefully talk my way out of died in a fire (because of Zaeed's inferno grenades) and a hailstorm of bullets.

I died or reloaded more because of the game glitching out on the PC, than I did to actually dying to anything.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Meh, I went with Warp Ammo ASAP, because Disruptor Ammo is good, but that's only good against Shields IIRC. Warp Ammo is good against EVERYTHING. I forget what else I put points into, but yeah, Soldier and that gun was crazy OP, especially if you liked to spam bullet time, haha.

Squadmates? Heh I could probably do the whole thing myself. I suppose a couple people can tag along so someone can watch me stomp everything myself.

Parrotte likes this.
  17. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I only got Warp Ammo late in the game, and I actively used Zaeed's Inferno Grenade as the loyalty ability you could copy (I was the "Paragon of Liberal Application of Fire-based Weaponry") so I never really tried it. Seriously though, you didn't need Warp Ammo for that thing. Once you broke through the shield or psyonic barrier everything just disintegrated in front of you.

As for squadmates, I did take Garrus with me all the time if I could, 'cuz I like him. He's cool. A bit broken, mentally, but cool.
    Besides that I took Mordin throughout the game until I got Reaper. Cuz I like robots. I really do.
    Never used their skills much because, to be honest, I couldn't be bothered to open the menu to click their skills.

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

There's no kill like OVERKILL. lol.

It was always Grunt and Tali for me. Grunt because, well, Grunt. He would like almost never get KO'd.

And Tali, well... I love Tali. Favorite squadmate, hands-down. That, and the Minsc&Boo shoutout was awesome.

Parrotte likes this.
  19. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I loved saving up my ammo and then unleashing Cain upon an unsuspecting boss.
    The one where you rescue grunt in particular.
    The boss had her monologue and promptly disappeared in a flash along with the YMIR behind her, while the Krogan stepping out of his tank broke through time and space and glitched.

Wrex was cool enough. Grunt didn't really have the same charm in my opinion.

I didn't take Tali around much except for her mission, and either missed the shoutout because I didn't have her tag along, or because I'm not ancient enough.

20. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The shoutout is to Baldur's Gate, which is a rather old game.

In it, there was this berserker that said some of the most weird stuff, but he had this pet hamster named Boo. And whenever you told him to attack something, he'd yell "Go for the eyes, Boo, go for the eyes.... RAAAAAAGH!"

Probably the coolest character in the Baldur's Gate series or very close to it.

Parrotte likes this.