1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is Starbound coming to PS4?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Violated, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Violated

Violated Space Hobo

It feels like i been waiting forever and it still hasn't came out, what's worse, there's not even any news about it on the web anymore.

Can we get a date or hint or even a gleam of hope?

2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Console ports are still very much on the agenda, and the devs will be providing more details about them at a later date.

Sylxeria, Chazprime and Violated like this.
  3. Violated

Violated Space Hobo

Hey thanks alot. I'm really looking forward to it's release.

4. gaymboi91

gaymboi91 Space Hobo

It was announced to be released in early 2015, it's been roughly 3 years and not even a mumble, it seems like chucklefish doesn't want to speak about it, it's out on pc, and (correct me if I'm wrong) Xbox one.

5. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

It's not out on Xbox One yet. Last I heard it's absolutely on the agenda, and I'm pretty sure they're looking to form a dedicated team to handle the port. But as I said, they'll announce something when they're ready.

6. EchoMania

EchoMania Space Hobo

Been hearing this same line for years now.

xepherys likes this.
  7. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

Chucklefish has been burned by a missed release date too many times, that's why the best answer you'll get is "When it's ready".

Sylxeria likes this.
  8. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Also they are tired of having nearly all comments on facebook and twitter asking:
    "When Xbox One and Ps4?"
    "Xbox"
    "PS4"
    Those i see on facebook page under all of their posts

9. EchoMania

EchoMania Space Hobo

Those pesky potential customers, amirite?

xepherys and Pingeh like this.
  10. Sylxeria

Sylxeria Industrial Terraformer

Agreed.
    It's best they stick to one platform at a time before moving on to porting to the next. Far too often developers spread themselves out too much trying to do everything at once and that's when stuff just ends up in a big mess, and nobody wants that.

Patience will pay off in the end here; they could give people these things sooner at the cost of it almost certainly not functioning correctly (or not functioning at all) or people could just be patient and accept the answer "It'll come when it's ready" and get a product that works. These things don't happen over the weekend.

11. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

Cough cough Mighty cough Number AH-HERM cough Nine cough COUGH.

xepherys likes this.
  12. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

upload_2017-2-28_15-18-1.jpeg PHRASE

13. DaintyBiscuit

DaintyBiscuit Intergalactic Tourist

This subject hasn't been touched in a few months and I'm starting to get bored of the console games that I have. I really appreciate all the hard work going into the making of the console versions of Starbound. I can't wait for the release, because I know that they'll be getting a lot of sales and I'll finally get one of my favorite games on PS4. I truly wish the best for Chucklefish, but I would like some kind of update on how far along the tracks you guys have gotten on making the console version thus far.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2017
    xepherys likes this.
  14. Crownregent

Crownregent Master Chief

Second coming ... or there about...

15. xepherys

xepherys Void-Bound Voyager

You're right, but that's not the complete story. See, people like being updated on the progress of things that they want. I own Starbound on Steam. I like it. I've barely played it because I personally don't enjoy playing games on my computer very much these days. I'll buy Starbound Day 1 on PS4 - if it ever comes out. We "know" they're working on the Xbox port, because they've said they are. We haven't heard anything about the PS4 port in a couple of years now.

And, honestly, while porting from PC to console isn't a cakewalk, it also isn't SO incredibly difficult. While it's awesome that they keep working on new content, if they paused that for a few sprints and actually focused on console, they could get it done. Without actual insight into their dev process, it APPEARS that they have one programmer in a dark room somewhere that keeps trying to play catch-up porting code to console while the rest of the team keeps changing the code base for the PC version out from under him. While that's probably not true, that's certainly plausible at this point.

I'd love to buy the game (again) and actually play it a ton. If it's a year from now or three, I'll still buy it. I'd just like to know what the status is. Working myself in software development, I don't expect a release date (that's the ultimate update, but not necessary), but it would be great to hear "We have most of the code ported to Xbox and are trying to cram assets into properly sized packages" or "We're maybe 50% done porting the code to Xbox One, and we've also looked at porting to PS4, but haven't started yet" or something along those lines. Those are actual updates. It's not hard... I have to put out a development update every month. /shrug

Lone(ly)Wolf likes this.
  16. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

They aren't porting it themselves. They have outsourced that job because they are mostly working on Wargroove. Kinda goes back to the "don't do their homework" bit here.

They have been giving updates. Not about PS4, no, the reason for that is still unknown, but they have indeed been giving updates about XBox.

17. meka2611

meka2611 Void-Bound Voyager

Yea no they are not giving updates on the xbox one port and they don't answer any of the numerous forum posts about it. All they said a long time ago is blitworks is working on it and blitworks doesn't say anything about development time. Short answer, proly get the game on xbox in 2019 and ps4 will be in 2020 or 2021 they way they do things.

Pingeh likes this.
  18. lazarus78

They are giving updates, just not the updates you want.

We know the game is still being ported. How? Because of an update sayin so. Was it a descriptive update? No. But it was an update.

19. meka2611

meka2611 Void-Bound Voyager

Yea, no. Last update was almost a year ago. Most developers will update the consumer on progress of a game, that's all we need. Is it 50% done, 75%, or just 2%. Going a year without an update on a port is just bad for your customers that want to give you money. And everyday for that year I have checked the blogs on the site, the forums here, and also blitworks twitter feed. Again nothing since about a year ago.

Boshed likes this.
  20. lazarus78

So you admit there have been updates... I rest my case.

They may not be frequent, but factually there HAVE been updates. Your opinion on what an update should consist of or how often they should be done is moot. I mean, hell, BethesdaGS goes years without any updates about anything.