Modding Help farmer_base help (WTF ARE THE ARMS DOING??) and other things

Discussion in 'Mods' started by MattyToo, Feb 24, 2017.

1. MattyToo

MattyToo Void-Bound Voyager

Hi yall,

I'm hoping to make some significant changes to the player sprite and need some help with identifying what the arms are doing in the sprite sheet, and how (if) they match up to the body base on the same line.

What I want to achieve: I use a wheelchair outside the house irl aannd I would love if my in game character is also using a wheelchair while going about their daily life. I intend to have them use their arms to push the chair while moving, use all the tools while sitting down, balance items on their head and push with their arms while moving, and close my eyes and ignore it when it comes to ladders, the bathhouse, and other terrain like that. I'm basing the wheelchair sprite off of George's chair, with some small changes.

Problems I need help/advice on:
    - which arm sprites are used when walking, running, and walking+running while holding an item? and also, are there any other sprite movements that would need to be replaced by a wheelchair pushing movement?

- I am aware that the eyes position is hard coded, thus I can't change the height of my character or that'll mess up the blinking animation. Are there any other bits like this I need to be aware of?

- how does the skin recolour and boots recolour work? I've seen the boots png file is a bunch of pixels of different colours, does it basically just say "find [original boots colour] and colour wash with [colour from the boot png]"? or does it work on a "change pixel at [x+y coordinate] to colour found in [boot png]"? Or am I completely off base.

I've read as much of this forum as I can and mucked about a lot, I'd just like some tips. Thank you!

Note: I know it might be "unrealistic" to have the player character do all the stuff they do while in a wheelchair, but! it's a game, and it's already unrealistic, and this would mean a lot to me.

• HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

I really like this idea, and would love to help out. My only wonder is how you're going to do the horse back ridding

• MattyToo

MattyToo Void-Bound Voyager

actually some people who use wheelchairs can also ride horses (myself included) so I figured I'd just have the wheelchair de-materialise and re-materialise when jumping on and off. It's magic! (/sarcasm. It's just too complicated to add the sort of apparatus some chair users need to get onto a horse, and there's no standard way to do it, either. though I would love to). The dream would be to have the horse pull the wheelchair, like a chariot kinda deal haha but that is also too complicated for me.

springacres likes this.
        • springacres

springacres Phantasmal Quasar

I can vouch for this, as I used to take lessons at a therapeutic riding program! I don't use a wheelchair, walker or crutches myself, but some of my fellow students did. I wish you the best of luck with this project, and give you kudos for even trying to animate something like this.

MattyToo likes this.
          • HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

To figure out which sprites go to what, you could color each of the hands or something a different color, then play the game and note what action triggers what color hand.