REQUEST Owl-bear horse replacement?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by LittleCaiCai, Feb 17, 2017.

1. LittleCaiCai

LittleCaiCai Void-Bound Voyager

Hi there, everyone!

First thing's first, I'm still pretty new here and while I've read the rules, I'm sure I've missed some! If I'm posting in the wrong place or anything like that, please just let me know how to fix it! <3

So I've seen a ton of strange horse mods popping up here-and there, and I have a very strong request for an owl-bear horse replacement. I've finally gotten into D&D after just watching for a while, and the dice were kind to me in my campaign, so I now have an owl-bear mount. Stardew Valley has taken over my life again and it would be great to have mr.hootie on my farm! I know the pixel art would be a little difficult given that a bear wouldn't conform as easily to the horse's layout. If there are any D&D nerds that would like to help me out (or even just provide me with links to do it myself) I'd be super grateful! I'm just looking for a cutesy thing here, nothing hugely detailed! (Heck, even using the HM cows as a base for the design would work for me~)

In addition: This is still /art/ so if you can be commissioned for mods, please link me to your info! <3

Owl bear image for reference:
    [​IMG]

Update: Thanks to the incredibly helpful Minakie, I'm going to actually be making this dude and sharing with the community! I haven't really had any experience yet, so please be kind ^^

[​IMG]

2/24/2017:
    I scrapped the first owl bear to try using the thicker bear sprite. Hootie's almost done, but I'm having some issues! The biggest problem I'm having is that the face-overlay doesn't include the "ears" and doesn't seem to be wide enough. I assume it's something to do with how the yaml file uses the png? I have no idea what I'm doing, please send help! :p

Update pics:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2017
      Koschfer, Acerbicon and eemie like this.
    • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I'm currently at work, so I'm afraid I might not be very helpful at the moment until I'm actually home and can access the game files. However...

I know there is already a bear in the game, so maybe those sprites can be used as a base for the owl-bear mount (assuming the bear sprites have the right size to be used to replace the horse sprites). Of course more sprites would have to be added in order to have the same number of poses/frames as the horse to make the running animation.

I also know the game has the shadow of an owl somewhere. Not sure if there is an actual sprite of the owl somewhere in the game files but, if there is, the head could be used for this as well.

Edit: Actually, someone already made a rideable bear using the sprites from the game.

[​IMG]

LittleCaiCai likes this.
      • LittleCaiCai

Thank you so much for the information! I think I've seen the owl at some point, but I've never come across the bear. I'm alright at editing pixel art (to a degree) but I've never actually modded anything for in-game use. Anything you can link me to (when you're off work, of course) would be awesome!

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

The horse file can be found on Stardew Valley > Content > Animals
          The bear file can be found on Stardew Valley > Content > Characters
          The owl file can be found on Stardew Valley > Content > TileSheets > Critters (thanks @DEMIACLE for the info)

I use the XNB Kit to extract the .xnb's (I have here instructions on how to use it).
          Pretty much you extract the file, edit the .png and compress it back into an .xnb file again.

LittleCaiCai likes this.
          • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Also, forgot to say. I usually just pack/unpack files for people. The reason I'm just giving you the information is:

- you said you're comfortable with pixel art
            - I'd rather teach people to fish (editing my own .png files was the best thing ever)
            - we can never have enough new modders in the community

I hope you publish that owl-bear mount once it's done.

• LittleCaiCai

I appreciate it! I've been wanting to learn how to do this for a while, but I'm super easily confused and, well, pretty lazy if I'm being honest! It's starting to come together! The bear's pixel art was too big to fit the horse properly without tons of tweaking that I'm not super comfortable doing-- but the owl's face worked out great! There's no profile for the owl though, so I'm slowly building one up! Still, progress!

Thank you so much for your advice, I tried reading a guide and just got super confused, but your summary was extremely clear-cut. I'm not much of a pixel artist, but I'd love to practice with it~ Hootie is a bit derpy thanks to my inexperience, but he's still turning out pretty cute! I ran into extra issues testing everything because the game updated right after I transferred the files!

Here's a progress shot if you'd like to see!

[​IMG]

Also, I JUST NOW saw the ride-able bear edit! That would've been great! Though they don't give permission to share edits of their mod-- none the less, if I get the head all figured out I'll ask if they'd mind me editing and sharing an owl-bear version of their mod <3

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
                Coolwyngs and Minakie like this.
              • LittleCaiCai

Ended up scrapping the first sprite sheet and am trying to work with the bear one~ I've redrawn *most* of the horse's poses (with quite a few errors unfortunately) but the head/face overlay of the owl seems to cut off at the edges of the face and ears. Here's the updated WIP sprite sheet if anyone can give me some pointers! :D

[​IMG]

eemie and JustCaffeine like this.
                • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I use Aseprite to change my .png's so it's easy to know where things are supposed to go because the transparency has a squared background and I use the squares lines as a ruler.
                  If the cursor head is being cut off, it's probably because it is a few pixels out of place. Just try moving it a couple pixels to the side.

Really like how it's looking btw.

• nubuku

nubuku Void-Bound Voyager

omg, I love it, will you put the download link? btw I really like the pixel art and the original idea <3

• captain kaltz+

captain kaltz+ Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i'm a necromancer, i know.. sorry
                      but any updates? i really like this idea D:
                      because if this mod is completely dead and never were finished, i might be crazy enough to do something with those sprites for myself ahahah

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019