Modding Discussion A place to discuss map editing and other related stuff

Discussion in 'Mods' started by QuantumConcious, Apr 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aquae

Aquae Big Damn Hero

I don't know if it's an issue with tIDE or my computer, but whenever I edit large maps and replace tiles, it doesn't update the map's canvas. It still processes the command, and I'm sure if I re-packed a map and loaded it in SDV the things I've changed may be there, but it makes it nigh-impossible for me to edit maps over 100x100.

For example:

[​IMG]

I've placed the highlighted tile (Idx 56) at the position 11,13 (directly bottom right diagonal to the Command History box). The tile Idx 56 is a slab-looking concrete path, but the canvas retains the beach sand. The command history tells me that it has indeed been placed, though.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
    • Starbeak87

Starbeak87 Phantasmal Quasar

I don't mean to be rude. But I suspect the problem might actually be with the user.
      From you screenshot, it looks like you might be trying to place a tile on a hidden layer. The solution is to right-click and show layer.

To test things, I opened up the beach, and noticed that the paths layer is hidden by default.
      I was able to place a 2x2 of tile id56 at 11,13 with no trouble. So, without further information, that's all I've got. hope it helps!
      Placing tiles.png

• Starbeak87

TYVM I'll give it a try! I've actually released my first map mod, Greener Pastures.
        I'm really hoping to get some feedback, so I can improve things.

[edit]
        it worked!
        I hope you don't mind, but I linked to EntoaroxFramework on my mod, and included the command you recommended.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2017
        • Aquae

Aquae Big Damn Hero

I understand that I may not be the most experienced on using tIDE, but I am one hundred percent sure I am using it correctly.

Even if I place a tile when a layer is invisible, it will still paint onto the canvas.

For example:
          Let's take the clean barn map. Here's what it looks like default: (Ignore the first command as it was just to raise the command prompt.)
          [​IMG]

And if I make all of the layers invisible and then randomly paint windows onto the 'Paths' layer:
          [​IMG]

When I reveal all the layers again, the tile is painted in the appropriate layer even though the layer is invisible:
          [​IMG]

So I am pretty sure I'm using tIDE's functionality correctly.

Here's what I'm trying to actually do with tIDE:
          I'm using AngryCat's Extended Fishing Farm. Two things I wanted to change are the warp positions of the farm (which I can handle as long as I tweak how they LOOK on the farm) and to fix a set of broken bridges that were impassible in the mod and AngryCat does not have time to fix.

So, I want to add a bridge here:
          [​IMG]

So, what I've been trying to do it use the select option to select a bridge (which is part of the Buildings layer), and lay it over there. However, the canvas never updates.
          This is the same for trying to paint on ANY layer in a large map like this, for example trying to tweak the paths, grassy areas, or the debris. And this doesn't matter whether or not I lay tiles individually or in multiples.

I don't know if there's something wrong with the TileSheets, or if my computer is at hand - tIDE begins to run very slowly working with larger maps, but on my task manager, the program doesn't consume any extra memory, and the functionality about it feels the same.

I'm not really sure of how to go about this. Maybe I could create a sole separate layer and then import it onto this map somehow?

• Starbeak87

I tend to agree. You seem to be doing things correctly. Unfortunately, I've tried best I can to reproduce the problem, with no luck. I thought of all computers, I should be able to reproduce it on my clunker.
            If it's not using any extra resources, yet running badly. I'd probably blaim your instal of tIDE.

• Aquae

Aquae Big Damn Hero

Hmn, I'll try re-installing tIDE or checking my current version. Do you know of any other tile-editors that support SDV-style maps?

Thanks for all your help, though.

• Starbeak87

I'm sure there are other tile-based map editors out there. The problem you're going to run into is the meta-data. For instance, the TouchAction = PoolEntrance tile property. You'd have to find one that supports that type of command.
                I think the question we should be asking is: what did ConcernedApe use in the first place?!

• Starbeak87

Ya'know, if there's one thing I've learned about adding tile sheets, it's this: It almost NEVER works!!!
                  Seriously, even when I attempt to add a vanilla outdoors tile sheet to an outdoor map, it usually just goes into it's little infinite thinking loop and quietly freezes that way...

• Erik Barone

Erik Barone Void-Bound Voyager

do i need to know coding in order to edit farm-map? sorry im a complete newbie

• Starbeak87

Not so far as I know. I mean, it might help when you get into the more technical stuff. But tIDE, XNB-Mod-toolkit, and maybe a fairly good image editor (like GIMP 2). That's all I've got going for me.

Though I will give this warning:
                      ConcernedApe is a great game dev. But his mapping is sloppy. He's left random invisible tiles and snippets of cut/past overlap all over the place! It doesn't really effect the game, which is why he probably didn't worry about it. But when you start doing map mods, it will very likely get on your nerves. At least, it's been on mine all day!!!

• Starbeak87

And now I'm having exactly the same problem, but with the Town map. Is this some sort of memory limitation of tIDE?!

[edit]
                        Don't ask me why, but I am still able to lay blocks of tiles. I just cannot place individual tiles.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
                        • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Is that farm map a modded one? And to the bridges come with the map?

• Ellyssa

Ellyssa Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As far as I can tell, the person who made the map never posted the files publicly. The bridges are tiles from the bridge that goes to the quarry.

• Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm sorry if this has been answered already, I've spent the past few hours searching this thread to see if I could find it, but I could have easily over looked it, so apologies in advance if I did. I know it's possible to change the spawn locations of the ore on the Hilltop farm, because I've seen maps that change it around but I just cannot figure it out. :blank:

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I know these:

- Better Quarry
                                - Mining at the Farm
                                - Farm Resource Generator

Never used any though, so I don't know how to make them work.
                                But they all come with instructions.

• Acerbicon

Acerbicon Pangalactic Porcupine

• sansrivalcake

sansrivalcake Tentacle Wrangler

Hello! I changed my map's dirt tiles into the grass tiles but i unfortunately forgot to make them tillable. Is there an easy shortcut to make all grass tillable or do I have to resort to changing each tile's custom properties?

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

oh god no, that would be awful. If you find the grass tile in the tile picker to the left, you can add the property to every tile of that kind!

• sansrivalcake

sansrivalcake Tentacle Wrangler

@Voltaic123 Thank you! I successfully did it and made the grass tiles tillable but planting trees on the tiles still gives it an invalid position..is there another property i should add?

• Voltaic123

Voltaic123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Hmm... fruit trees or normal trees? I dont know of any property that specifically prohibits trees (although I really dont know that many in general) Id say just make sure the tile is set to buildable, other than that, no clue :(

Thread Status:
                                        Not open for further replies.