Modding Help Beginner's Guide to XNB Node and Graphics Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. Swiftpaw22

Swiftpaw22 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Thanks scrptrx, it looks like those script files are extremely simple and just streamline some variables, but it's still executing:

XNB-Nodes unpack/pack <from folder> <to folder>

...and that's what is failing. The error may be due to LZX compression as stated here: http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/solved-linux-beta-xnb-extracting.120317/#post-3029050

It seems the file format simply isn't standardized and stable enough so that stable tools can be created to read/write to that format, especially without the .NETFrameworkWindowsMicrosoft software stack. I know Mono exists as an attempt to implement .NET on Linux, and I think Microsoft even officially supports it now, but even if that were enough to make it work, you'd still need the Linux version of XNB-Nodes in order to utilize it. Given how popular Microsoft software is on Linux, I'm not too surprised there isn't something in place yet. Although now with Visual Studio, Moonlight, Mono, etc, being on Linux, you'd think there would be something somewhere, but I guess it's still all too new.

Oh well, I'll leave Stardew modding to other modders for now then. :p

• Queenwolfiex3

Queenwolfiex3 Void-Bound Voyager

help me please.
      upload_2016-11-2_20-4-3.png

• LightG98

LightG98 Space Hobo

upload_2016-12-23_22-27-26.png
        unfortunately there is no png files that come up, only tbin and yamls. i can not edit either of these and do not know what to do from here. please help!

• oldfarmer93

oldfarmer93 Void-Bound Voyager

Tbin files are map files. Those type of files can be edited with tIDE. But since they got dependencies on specific tilesheets, you will have to extract the tile related xnb files also to edit de maps.

Also, the yaml files can be edited with notepad++.

Here is a thread for map editing related stuff:
          http://community.playstarbound.com/...s-map-editing-and-other-related-stuff.112279/

• Cranber

Cranber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Okay I'm trying to open this for the first time but it just wont let me? it just pops up and then closes itself immediately before I can do anything

• FoxxRiddle

FoxxRiddle Void-Bound Voyager

Alright, Sooo.. I've been trying to figure this out for the better part of a couple hours, everytime I tried to do it without the alternate method, I'd do everything exactly as you did, and it literally would not work. (Got the same result as QueenWolfiex3)

• oldfarmer93

oldfarmer93 Void-Bound Voyager

If you guys have problems with editing the map files, the thread I linked you to is very helpful. If you want to edit maps without reading too much about now to do it, and you are familiar with xnb extracting, than I will try to be concise.

1. If you got both tIDE and notepad++ find and unpack the xnb of the map you want to edit.
                2. Open the yaml file associated with the tbin map, resulted from the xnb extracting.
                3. You should look for a "tilesheets:" section that specifies the .png dependencies.
                4. Once you find that out, look for those files in xnb format and unpack them.
                5. Make sure you got the tbin and the png files in the safe folder.
                6. Open the tbin file and edit the map. The maps are structured in several layers, listed on the left.

THERE IS ONE MAJOR THING TO TAKE ACCOUNT OF: Editing of the paths layer is save dependent, so you have to start a new game to get those changes working , because the paths layer acts like a blueprint, things already build by a certain blueprint won't change if you modify the blueprint afterwards. The changes on the other layers are not save dependent so you can go bonkers.

• FoxxRiddle

FoxxRiddle Void-Bound Voyager

I figured it out. I was being a derp. x,D
                  Thanks for the help!

• Cejmr5

Cejmr5 Void-Bound Voyager

Hi! I'm having a reeeeealllllyyyyyy annoying problem. After I type the location(C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stardew Valley), press enter, and type "xnb_node extract Content ContentUnpacked", it says "The system cannot find the path specified." Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong??? (I've also tried putting the xnb_node as xnb_node.cmx, which isn't working either. I have node.exe in the stardew valley folder, and as for Program Files (x86), I'm certain I have a x64 bit cpu.)

EDIT: YAY! I fixed it!!!! To anyone who gets this problem, copy your content folder into the XNBnode folder you get when you unzip the file. Then do everything normally, and hopefully it'll work! :')

Last edited: Jan 14, 2017
                    • Rammii

Rammii Guest

When i Tried Step 3 it Told Me "the system cannot find the path specified" So... What To Do?:confused:

• BabyPunter3000

BabyPunter3000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I'm having a problem where I can't repack a .yaml file when I put it into the Unpacked Files folder and click the "packfiles.bat" button. Can anyone help me? It worked before when I was editing and repackaging PNG and yaml files into one xnb file. I have a screenshot of the error message, but I don't understand what it's telling me to do or what I did wrong.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
                        • MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

That looks like you have a typo/formatting issue somewhere in the file that's causing it to error out. Like maybe an extra "#!String" at the end of a line, or some other oddity.
                          If you want to upload the .yaml file causing you issues; I can help take a look.

BabyPunter3000 likes this.
                          • BabyPunter3000

BabyPunter3000 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Thank you for explaining that to me! I managed to fix the coding that was troubling it (I forgot to put a space in between the " and #!String) and it finally repacked! Thank you so much!

MysticTempest likes this.
                            • yoyokama

yoyokama Space Hobo

Hi everybody.

I'm new here, I'm gonna try to explain what I want to do (sorry for my english).

I need some charac files because I want to "repaint" them, in order to use it in a sort of art project. I try your ways but I use Mac so XNBNode don't work.

I don't need technical compability to the game, only the .png or .jpg files just to change it.

So, maybe you can help me : teach me a way to extract the .xnb on OSX OR simply send me some of the charac files (I admit, the simplier it goes, the better, 'cause I'll spend more time on drawing the charac)

Thanks a lot, have a sunny and warm day.

• Maelily78

Maelily78 Void-Bound Voyager

Will also post this in the thread I have running for this: Iv edited the png and the yaml files for weapons and am now trying to compact them to test them in game but the XNB Modkit I used to unpack the file cant seem to pack it again and Iv tried using a different program (for packing and unpack the files) but still no XNB file and this all started with the command promp thing not working for me so Im really lost on what to do ;-;

All I wanted was to give my character a battle scythe, why is that so HARD!

• pscx1

pscx1 Intergalactic Tourist

After editing Farm and Greenhouse xnb files, my game resetting when trying to load game, can anyone help me? I wanna to save this changes.

• Charastiel

Charastiel Void-Bound Voyager

it won't unpack or pack specific folders for me. if i want to edit one file e.g. farmer hairstyles, i have to unpack the whole content folder edit the one file then repack the whole content folder.

• Nanogamer7

Nanogamer7 Void-Bound Voyager

Can someone help me with this error pls:

Code:
                                      Benedikts-MacBook-Pro:~ Benedikt$ cd /Users/Benedikt/Documents/XNBExtract0.2.2
                                      Benedikts-MacBook-Pro:XNBExtract0.2.2 Benedikt$ bash UnPackFiles.sh
                                      fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv4 not supported in this platform
                                      fixme:winsock:WS_EnterSingleProtocolW unknown Protocol <0x00000000>
                                      fixme:winsock:set_dont_fragment IP_DONTFRAGMENT for IPv6 not supported in this platform
                                      fixme:winsock:WS_EnterSingleProtocolW unknown Protocol <0x00000000>
                                      fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x119f638 0x0): stub
                                      fixme:toolhelp:CreateToolhelp32Snapshot Unimplemented: heap list snapshot
                                      fixme:toolhelp:Heap32ListFirst : stub
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({77754e9b-264b-4d8d-b981-e4135c1ecb0c}, 0x48dea0, 0x0, 0xf1ef68) stub.
                                      fixme:ntdll:NtQueryVolumeInformationFile 0x90: volume info not supported
                                      fixme:module:load_library unsupported flag(s) used (flags: 0x00000800)
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0x10001123, 0x10021018, 0x10021030) stub.
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x1001ea78, 43) stub
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0x3d1123, 0x3f2010, 0x3f2028) stub.
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x3ef3b8, 43) stub
                                      Packed\Haley.xnb
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventRegister ({5eec90ab-c022-44b2-a5dd-fd716a222a15}, 0x351123, 0x379018, 0x379030) stub.
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventSetInformation (deadbeef, 2, 0x376b88, 43) stub
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (deadbeef) stub.
                                      fixme:ntdll:EtwEventUnregister (0) stub.
                                      fixme:msvcrt:__clean_type_info_names_internal (0x349348) stub

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

If you're going to launch it from the terminal. You don't type bash. Type the following.
                                        Code:
                                        ./UnPackFiles.sh

or
                                        Code:
                                        ./PackFiles.sh

The "./" will execute the script from the terminal for you.

• Keychain

Keychain Pangalactic Porcupine

I'm trying to open the command prompt for extracting/packaging xnb files like usual, but I guess a Windows update added this "Windows Powershell" crap that replaces the option to open command prompt? It's basically its own command prompt, but I tried to use it, it doesn't recognize the xnb_node as a command, so I can't pack or extract anything.

[​IMG]