RELEASED Greener Pastures Farm Map MOD

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Starbeak87, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Starbeak87

Starbeak87 Phantasmal Quasar

Is the default farm map too yellow for you? Tired of farming on a dirt desert? Just want a little more greenery in your character's day-to-day life? Don't worry, there are Greener Pastures ahead!
    I've seen several mods that tone down the yellowness of the farm. But I was unsatisfied with them. The texture mods i tried, made the dirt too dark, or replaced it altogether. The couple of map mods I tried altered the original aesthetic too much for my taste. So I created my own map mod!
    • Removed annoying dead spots. Practically all tiles are now tillable.
    • The area around the greenhouse is now fully workable.
    • The outcropping on the western wall has been removed.
    • An area for silos was made behind the house.
    • Added a pet-house,pet-food dish, and small dock.
    • And, of course, the farm is now MUCH greener
    [Please Note]
    If you are installing this mod for a pre-existing save file, It may be necessary to install EntoaroxFramework and run the ef_bushreset console command. It removes all shrubs in the game and respawns them. This allows for the bushes on the farm to be reset, it should not harm any bushes elsewhere.
    Remove Shrubs.png

Picture time! (some pictures may be out of date for current version)
    A side-by-side of the old and new.
    Original Farm overview.jpg Greener Pastures 01 overview.jpg

Dig it all up! Now you can plant and build pretty much anywhere.
    20170207181602_1.jpg 20170207181641_1.jpg

Wait, how many Silos do you need anyway? Depends on how well you like your animals, I guess.
    20170207181738_1.jpg

Small aesthetic additions.
    Greener Pastures 01 pethouse.jpg Greener Pastures 01 dock.jpg

Is... is that a cave? Must be part of a future update...
    Greener Pastures 01 cave.jpg

But wait! There's more!

Now there is a version where the large pond is a Swimming hole. Naturally (due to coding), this allows for regen on your farm. Those who start a new character based on this mod might find the ol swimming hole isn't as easy to get to as you'd think.
    Swimming Hole.jpg Blocking the Dock.jpg

By Special Request...
    It looks like the small pond near the farm house has dried up. Well, that's just fine; more build space!
    Yup, there is now a version with only the large pond. Aptly named "One Pond". This version includes the Swimming hole version, as it is largely intended for end-game play.
    Dry Pond 01.jpg Dry Pond 02.jpg Dry Pond 03.jpg

[2/8/17 Update] 1.0.1
    Some path tiles needed to be NPCBarrier and NoSpawn

[2/13/17 Update] 1.0.1
    Added the Swimming Hole version of 1.0.1

[2/16/17 Update] 1.0.5
    Added the One Pond version (includes Swimming Hole version) of 1.0.5
    Fixed an issue where trees would clip through the pet-house (all versions)
    Fixed a couple other potential clipping issues.
    Added a seasonal pet-food dish.

[2/23/17 Update] 1.1.0
    Major Tile fixes throughout all versions of Greener Pastures.
    Combined all Versions into one mod pack (contains all three versions).
    Added an experimental texture mod that changes some snow into shadowed/frozen dirt. This fixes some texture issues in winter. And creates some new problems... It is not necessarily required for the GP mod.
    Special thanks to nerdinreallife for identifying winter texture issues.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
    • Starbeak87

If anyone has suggestions, questions, or bug reports, please don't hesitate to post them.

• Starbeak87

Should I make it so that the Large pond is a swimming hole? Would be easy enough! Only concern I have is that it would make regen a little too easy.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

Is there any way to make it just swimmable, without the regen option? If not, you could just release the swimmable version as an optional map.

I love the doghouse, it reminds me of Faythe's mod. I tried adding a dog house to my game, but I have no experience with TIDE and I'm not sure if it's possible to implement something like this simply by changing the .png files of the maps.

And what's with that cave tease? :p
          Are you planning to mod the existing cave or add an additional one?

Starbeak87 likes this.
          • Starbeak87

I don't know a way of making it swimmable w/o regen. I think that's just part of the smimming code.

You would definitely need to mod the map to add a doghouse. I just used existing tiles from the old house in the spring_outdoors sheet. I might add a custom one in the future.

What if I told the cave you can see is actually the exit?!
            Yes, it's part of a future planned mod.

• Starbeak87

And So it is done! Hopefully everyone likes it.

Minakie likes this.
              • daniannapants

daniannapants Void-Bound Voyager

DOWNLOADED and so excited.

Edit: the README file mentions a filepath to follow for the location of the farm.xnb file to replace but none is included. I've replaced the one in the Content\Maps folder. Hopefully that does not asplode the game.

• FlowingSong

FlowingSong Void-Bound Voyager

HI!
                  FS really likes this!
                  the farm looks really weird with all that yellow so this is really nice!
                  but uhm can fs make a request?
                  can you make a version without the small pond near the entrance?
                  the pond is ruining fs's image of her end game farm but
                  FS doesn't know how to mod and FS really likes your map but doesn't have any idea on how to remove the pond and use your map...
                  but anyway GOOD JOB !

• Starbeak87

Sorry, that could use some rewording. The file path being the folder path inside the zip. It's pretty standard sdv mod stuff. But I think I made a hash of it with my wording.
                    I'll add that to the list of things that need updated.
                    Hope you enjoy the map.

• Starbeak87

Starbeak isn't used to talking to people that speak in the third person, and in all pink. You wouldn't happen to be Floran, would you?
                      Also, that seems like a fairly common theme with map mods. So I suppose I could toss something together.

FlowingSong and Minakie like this.
                      • Starbeak87

I've added a version with only one pond. Please enjoy.

FlowingSong likes this.
                        • daniannapants

daniannapants Void-Bound Voyager

Yeah, I really dig it so far (yes, I am a time traveler from the 1970's)

I did notice a quirk with the pet house - if you happen to have a tree planted in front of it the top half of the tree will be cut off. I'm posting from my phone right now, I can add a screenshot later when I have my 'pooter

EDIT: here's a picture for the curious. It does not affect my enjoyment of the mod, it's pretty awesome and I hope I can achieve mod skill someday

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
                          • FlowingSong

FlowingSong Void-Bound Voyager

floran?! nai! FS is FlowingSong! Nice to meet you btw Starbreak-sama!

THANNKKKK YOOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU <3 so very much!! FS appreciates it the greenery! specially the doggy house...
                            poor doggy didn't have a house before! but now doggy does! doggy is happy too FS thinks!
                            THANKS AGAIN!

Starbeak87 likes this.
                            • Starbeak87

Florans are a race of carnivorous plant-people from Starbound. My character, Jack Starbeak, is an adventurer who has had a few run-ins with them... They sorta talk like that.
                              No problem. Be sure to grab the updated version when you get a chance.
                              Yeah... That was a rather interesting little problem, wasn't it?! Found a workaround that should have that problem all fixed up. In the doing, I found a few other things that might have broken, given the chance. Seems every time I open the files, I find something that's a little sideways!
                              Doghouse cleanup 01.jpg Doghouse cleanup 02.jpg

Incidentally, the reason the boards on the pet-house don't quite line-up is because I'm just using tiles from the default sheet.
                              I hope to get around to a full retexture in the future. But for now, map edits are a lot faster for me.

Minakie likes this.
                              • nerdinreallife

nerdinreallife Poptop Tamer

I originally downloaded this for the dog house and food bowl (I love mods that add aesthetic richness to the game), and instantly fell in love with the one pond version. Your grass/dirt texture is great, far better than plain old dirt. And I could just hug you to bits for the dedicated silo space. [huuugs] I have seven so ... let's just say it was needed.

I do have one correction and question. I noticed on my farm that my grass/hay goes into the swimming pond area. Nothing a little harvesting doesn't fix, but I thought you'd want to know. {See: attached image] Secondly, now that I've moved all my silos to the back of the house, how do I add hay into them manually? I just received some from Marnie in the mail.

Thank you for this beautiful edition!

Sincerely, Jessie

Update: I believe I've found the culprit. I was able to install the xnb file easy peasy, but I'm been unable to figure out how to install !Entoarox Framework and run the bush_reset command.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
                                  Starbeak87 likes this.
                                • Starbeak87

I'm thinking that's likely from an old map you were running... some errors may occur like that. Harvesting it shuld keep it from happening again.

yeah... That requires SMAPI and the mod-loader launcher. If you're not running any other mods that require it, you might have to check out a few of the help sections on these forums. I'm not the best to explain how to install and run it.
                                  If you are already running SMAPI, then you will have noticed the extra little console window that opens when you run stardew. In which case, you get on your character, stand in your house (or any map other than the farm) and type "ef_bushreset" into that little console window, then hit enter. This should do the trick.
                                  Failing all of that!
                                  Some cleaver Avian may have known some people would have trouble with !Entoarox Framework, and left a secondary way into the fenced area. It's just not totally obvious when the house is rendered in.
                                  little secret.png
                                  Also, the main build area is 12x7, so there is enough space to leave a little path just inside the fence, for ease of access.

nerdinreallife likes this.
                                  • nerdinreallife

I did it! I figured out how to input the command into Console [mac user, here] I didn't realize I had to be playing the game when I used the command. I thought it was something I did before booting the game. It worked like a charm and I was able to find the hidden spot. :)

Thank you :D
                                    Jessie

Last edited: Feb 19, 2017
                                    • nerdinreallife

Another question! Can this map edit be used with the Foraging Farm? My nephew wants to use it on his game and he's not using the Standard Farm.

• Starbeak87

In theory, all one would have to do is rename the included Farm.xnb to Farm_Foraging.xnb before installing the mod.

Here's how:

> open the .zip file
                                        > extract the Farm.xnb to an uncompressed location
                                        > rename it to Farm_Foraging.xnb
                                        >now install the file as instructed in the ReadMe.txt

I don't know if it will entirely work as it should. But in theory...
                                        Anyway, I may be modding the other farm styles in the future. Who knows.

• nerdinreallife

Great! I'll give it a go. Quick issue ... it seems to have locked me outta the Greenhouse? I can walk up to it, but it won't let me enter.

- Jessie

EDIT: Please ignore the above. I was able to fix it by removing the Framework, which was causing the issue. I have noticed some texture alignment issues in the winter season. But I don't wanna burden you with comments. :)

Last edited: Feb 20, 2017