For Honor

Discussion in 'Games' started by MilkCalf, Feb 14, 2017.

?

Who do you pledge your allagiance to? What faction you (plan to) most play as? Stance on honor?

1. Question 1: For the Knights!

23.8%
  2. For the Vikings!

23.8%
  3. For the Samurai!

42.9%
  4. Question 2: As a knight

38.1%
  5. As a viking

14.3%
  6. As a samurai

33.3%
  7. Question 3: For honor!

81.0%
  8. No honor, only victory!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Welcome warriors, warriors-to-be or just visiting travelers!

"The world of For Honor is harsh, yet filled with beautiful wildlands, grandiose landmarks, and majestic ruins. Its hardy inhabitants eke a living as they can in spite of living in a state of near perpetual war. A cataclysm struck a millenium ago, nearly destroying all civilizations. Homelands were sundered, empires burned, and whole nations exiled themselves. From the ashes of this catastrophe, the Knights, Vikings, and Samurai rose again. They struggled to rebuild their nations, trying to recapture the glory of their ancestors.

Carve a path of destruction through vivid, larger-than-life battlefields in For Honor, a ground-breaking action game developed by Ubisoft Montreal in collaboration with other Ubisoft studios."

I myself would describe it as Dark Souls meets War of Roses but with many of the aesthetics of Chivalry. But Ubisoft has a great depiction of their own (if in a bit over advertised way):
    "Pierce the fog of war and join bold Knights, brutal Vikings, and deadly Samurais as they battle across lush, challenging battle maps. Master medieval weaponry and participate in brutal, fast-paced melee combat in an engaging story campaign and novel multiplayer modes.

The Art of Battle, For Honor’s innovative control system, puts you in total control of your Heroes. Each has distinct skills and uses unique melee weapons. Combat is designed to deliver the feeling of true dueling without sacrificing accessibility and simplicity. It has been created through motion capture by real martial artists and professional stuntmen to bring the action to life like never before."

In this place you can have friendly banter, create rivalries and alliances, challenge people to a duel and discuss different strategies.
    The poll has two purposes; To see whats popular and to see who is in what faction and what their preferences are. Yes that's right, you will be able to tell who voted for what.

We've only got three rules:
    1. Normal forum rules aply. Pretty self explanitory.
    2. Please only use one vote per question. Answering all questions is not necessary but recommended.
    3. No shaming of other peoples factions. For Honor is a game about crushing your enemy faction and their soldiers so it's not surprising if you want to best your foes with words too, but lets keep it in the realm of jokes and not get too serious.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    Dipdoo likes this.
  2. BloodyFingers

BloodyFingers The End of Time

FOR HONOOOOOOOOOOOOOR!!!! :viking:

I'll just be playing the story mode for now. ;P

-edit-
    Say, @MilkCalf, did your da sort that NAT issue out?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    MilkCalf likes this.
  3. Dipdoo

Dipdoo Existential Complex

I was up until 2:00 A.M. playing and have no regrets. I must axe, but bringing the law is ok too.
    The next step is figuring out how to record with a respectable frame rate so I may both teach, and show off a little.

MilkCalf likes this.
  4. BloodyFingers

I woke up 5:30am so I could play it a little before going to work.

I am raring to go home X3 :viking:
    can't believe I'm saying this about a Multiplayer-focused game...

MilkCalf likes this.
  5. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Yup. The old router wasn't up to the task so we got me a new one. I haven't gotten to play yet but there should be no more issues with it.

6. BloodyFingers

noice. My NAT is moderate, and if Destiny taught me anything, is that moderate NAT is no good for online interactions.

In the meantime, what is your strategy when facing a 2x1 duel, with you being the 1? So far I haven't battled many players, but against bots I usually block until I build enough energy to activate Revenge. Then it's fight or flight depending on how well I managed to defend myself.

I defeated both bots on two occasions, and in others they fled before I could finish them off. Either that or they killed me before I could do anything [emoji14]

MilkCalf likes this.
  7. Dipdoo

I like finding a choke point so you can face one at a time, but blocking two at once isn't too hard as long as one of them isn't spamming guard breaks.
    I love me some horizontals and heavies. Also, level 3 bots are absolutely terrifying.

MilkCalf likes this.
  8. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I usually try to kill them as fast as I can before getting overhelmed. Me playing with orochi and Nobushi play a factor in that I guess.
    That is very effective with conqueror.

They have levels?

9. Dipdoo

Yes. Level 1 is easily handled, if a bit aggressive. Level 2 isn't too far off from the average player, but it's surprisingly aggressive. And level 3 is death incarnate, they party often, counter almost all of your guard breaks, know some nice switch-ups, and even feint. It's terrifying.

MilkCalf likes this.
  10. BloodyFingers

ok, how the hell do you counter the Warlord shield dash? Some f**ker stood on a bridge during domination knocking everyone down.

If it is a guard break move it should be nullified by striking back. But either he timed his charge very well, or this move powers through enemy attacks too.

the bridge was narrow so there wasn't any room to dodge sideways. It pains me to admit but he chose his battling grounds and class very well.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
    MilkCalf likes this.
  11. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I'm not well versed in Warlords or Vikings in general, but moves like that usually either have short range or propel the user forward. If former, try to use attacks with longer range. I admit this is difficult if your team doesn t have the right classes.(Nobushi, Valkyrie, Kensei and Lawbringer come to mind.) Usinc a fast class to carefully chip away at their health might also work.
    If latter, try to move them off of the bridge.

12. BloodyFingers

the map has one zone which is accessed through two bridges and a passage around a cliff. The enemy was waiting on one end of the bridge and I had to cross it in order to reach it. We were losing so they had o reason to come and hunt us.

MilkCalf likes this.
  13. Dipdoo

The shield charge is easy to interrupt with a retreating attack or dodge with a side-dash, but since he's in a tight space the side-dash doesn't help.
    Most characters have a retreating attack, stepping back and swinging, that should interrupt the warlord's charge if timed right, unless he has the white glow of hyper-armor and I think the charge does not.. It's the head butt spam that really makes things hard.

MilkCalf likes this.
  14. BloodyFingers

the warlord has this annoying thing where most of his attacks can't be interrupted.
    I know for a fact that his strong attacks will follow through even if you hit him first. Your only chance is to block, dodge or kill him before he strikes.

MilkCalf likes this.
  15. Dipdoo

The wind-up frames of his heavies can be interrupted still, the closing frames where he's striking are when he'll go through, thankfully those closing frames are heavily telegraphed, so parrying his heavies are surprisingly easy when compared to his lights. Also, the start of his light attacks block incoming attacks, so if he times a light well he can block your swing and get a tap in.

MilkCalf likes this.
  16. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oi! I want to play this game but I am told there have been some rather troublesome issues with peer-to-peer connectivity and the like, any word from you on that one? have you had any issues playing?

Also Ill probably go Vikings, or Knights... or Samurai

17. Dipdoo

Connection issues happen in little spurts, it's not too bad most of the time. the campaign is solid if you're interested in it, no connection issues there.

18. BloodyFingers

ugh, I went to sleep at 2am playing this thing.

It is 23:21 and I want to play it. But if I get started I'll probably sleep late again...
    argh...
    But then I remember my last game session had a bunch of tossers who were all about bot killing. Screw objectives in Domination, screw whoever is in the way dueling said bots already. I got killed more times from team interference than actual lack of skill against the enemy...

And the kill steals. UGH THE KILL STEALS. LOOK I AM ALMOST DEAD AND NEED TO EXECUTE THIS BOT SO I CAN REGAIN A LITTLE LIFE CAN YOU PLEASE STOP GETTING THE LAST HIT AND EXECUTING THEM WHILE YOU HAVE FULL LIFEBAR?!!?!?!?

Seriously, there was like two other guys piling on this single bot that I was about to kill. Actually I WOULD'vE killed it had people not interfered and hit me while I tried to get a last heavy hit in... ugh...

19. Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Oh I am specially curious about this; since it is a coop-multiplayer game, how do kill steals affect you?

20. BloodyFingers

Depends. If you are playing Domination, and your team at least try to surround the enemy, then at worst you don't get as many prestige points, which means you won't level up as quickly. That means you might not get access to all your feats in that match. But when you are playing with asshats, they will usually hit you instead of the enemy. While you don't suffer damage from team attacks, you do get staggered which leaves you open for enemy counterattacks.

And as I mentioned before, executing an enemy grants you a small amount of health back. But you can only do that if you kill a player or bot with a heavy attack. If you desperately need health and are far away from a dominated zone, that can spell your doom.

Corraidhín likes this.