Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Nice ideas, @Blu Fish.

I just hope that we all don't get caught up in fancy feature fantasizing and then get hit once again by the cold hard wang of truth :3

2. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

I mean, these are not new things generated on planets... It looks as if really only the representation on the Navcomputer changes for those, so there should not be any medling with those saves necessary. The ships seem to jump in and out of systems at random, so again, nothing for the savefiles. Only thing new and (probably) permanently generated are the stations (Or whatever those are), and I bet those could be generated into already generated systems, as they are entirely seperate from the planets. Even if they are not, you should get everything BUT the stations in old systems.

3. ladyspritzy

ladyspritzy Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So does this mean the gas giants are actually going to be useful for something now? 'Cause that would be cool.

4. SeaMichelle

SeaMichelle Some Sort of Weird Fish Princess

FISH II: THE RETURN

I love this. So very much. I'm going through Mass Effect 2 right now and this is basically that. So excited to see this in-game.
    On that note, also wondering if ships will always be race-locked? Or if there are plans to change that~?

5. Gunslinger

Gunslinger Existential Complex

Aw yiss, finally!

Thanks devs!

6. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Don't have to be players in my opinion. AI can do that. If you've ever heard of Mount & Blade Warband, that exactly is what the game does: you are but one among many factions in the land of Calradia. The game runs by itself. You can just be idle and sit there while there's so much going on in the world: factions warring to each other, villages being raided, castles being defended, tradings flourished and perished, etc.

The entire political landscape can change even without any single touch from you as the player. Kingdoms can fall without you laying your hands on them. You can just going from one arena to another as a veteran fighter not caring anything about the politics. Imagine Skyrim but with AIs that actually matters. It's a living world even when it's only single player. This game was released back in 2007, revamped in 2010, and was made by a literally unknown company from Turkey.

Not saying it's easy to do, but a vast universe which gives a "living" impression would be nice.

Aaanyway...

While we're speaking of AI, I guess an update involving tenants AI would be nice. Maybe in the next big update after the space one. As it is now they don't go beyond as item-giving machines. Maybe the possibility to assign them to do something, like farming or mining. Or make it so they have simple personalities, maybe like wants and needs; e.g. not having arcades or bathroom in your settlement will upset certain tenant.

There's an old PS2 game called Metropolismania which does this well. We build our town, people come in, each person have wants and needs, and each person have relationship meter with us. The more we talk to them/help them satisfy their wants/needs, the better our relationship with them. This relationship will then unlock some interesting stuff, like quests, more building options, or even more varieties of residents. This resident varieties can then unlock more stuff; e.g. if a doctor settles in your town, a family might eventually have a kid; if a teacher settles, the kid will go to school; if a construction worker settles, you can build parks and the kids can play on the park, etc.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
    DraikNova, Jareix Cryvix and Cally94 like this.
  7. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

All of my FUCKING YESSES!
    ALL OF THEM!
    Like, you can have the god damn federal reserve of yesses if you do this CF. hell, it could very well be the next thing that yanks SB up to everyone's mind as an awesome game.

(Oh, and the tenant thing would be quite cool to implement, if done as he suggested like some sort of resource based strategy game.)

Lodish likes this.
  8. VoidGuy

VoidGuy Subatomic Cosmonaut

._. Is this Starbound?.. Im scared. Evolution always comes to destruction. Even in games... :cry:

BUT STARBOUND WIL NEVER DIE :catdealwithit:

(Penguin Pete Illuminati confirmed?:illuminati:)

Kawa and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  9. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

There are going to be new locations added, though, in the form of space stations and the like. It's unlikely they'll be able to be added to existing star systems, meaning you'll have to travel out far enough that new systems are generated.

EDIT:

This entire post was kinda rubbish, so feel free to ignore it. Was in a hurry and didn't read through the last half of the post I was responding to. >_<

Last edited: Feb 15, 2017
  10. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I would imagine they've got a workaround figured. Like, stations would be added to the "end" of the planet sequence in the files (so a four-planet system would treat a new station as planet 5), and since they're re-doing how planets appear in the navigation window across the board, the actual in-the-code order kinda doesn't matter and they can be placed visually anywhere as desired.

And if X/Y coordinates aren't changing, then those stations can be plunked down even in systems you have visited and have files for. They'll just be tacked on like, well, any new planet you visit.

DragonsForce likes this.
  11. Evithlia

Evithlia Weight of the Sky

Stations, did you say stations?

12. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

In the 'Painted Love' blog post you get a sneak peek into what looks like a space station. Also in this blog post you can see these silver things near the planets that look a lot like space stations. So yeah space stations are probably going to be added :confirm:

I'm pretty sure that all this won't come in the first update, the first update may be the new space system plus some basic ship designs and space stations. But hopefully one day it will match my dreams, I'm pretty much on the hype train xD

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2017
    Lodish likes this.
  13. Albirei

Albirei Phantasmal Quasar

I saw this and immediately loved the very idea. Immersion is what games should always strive for (unless your game is supposed to break the 4th wall), and this would definitely be immersive. I could definitely see myself becoming some kind of raider/pirate who attacks other ships if "neutral" ones exist. Either way, this looks to be a lot more fun than the current flight system.

Is there any kind of ETA?

14. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

I think I'll miss FTL animation, if it's gone. But this looks pretty cool.

15. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

I really, really doubt it's gone. We're only seeing a part of the navigation system, the idea that they'd delete something as useful as auto-piloting to coordinates you plug in (there's no way CF isn't aware of coordinate sharing) or to the bookmarks you set doesn't really seem likely.

And with the sheer vastness of the universe, the idea that they'd make you sit and wait to travel "manually" from one "corner" of the universe to another on the map like you're playing "Desert Bus" or something seems... yyyyeah. The SB navigation lifts from Star Control 2, sure, but it doesn't need to take every aspect (thank Grodd; I love SC2, but man some elements are best left to the ages).

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  16. Constantinople

Constantinople Scruffy Nerf-Herder

A question, why does your ship have to get destroyed at all? Why not do something similar to if you die on a planet? Most pirates are interested in the loot inside the ship anyway, and so will not just blow it up. So if your ship does lose the battle, why not just have the player lose 10% of their pixels and be relocated to the nearest solar system (that they have the tech to survive on). They then would have to pay money to repair your ship at the outpost, but they will have planets to explore in order to get money. Remember that everyone's ship survives the destruction of earth, but needs to be repaired. After all, you re-spawn if you die, not die permanently, unless on hardcore mode (in which case a destroyed ship would end your game just as if you died on a planet). I think this is better than having to work of a debt, as you can keep exploring. I think having to work of a debt would be as fun as having to work of your life debt in purgatory before being reincarnated on your ship.

Additionally, assuming your ship is defeated, it is likely that those who shot you down will want to salvage your cargo. So in this event, perhaps if you do lose in a battle, you lose pixels as if you died on the ground. If its a PvP battle, perhaps the winner gets the 10% of your pixels and some random weapon drops (the level of which would be based upon the level of the ship he/she disabled).

17. DragonsForce

DragonsForce Weight of the Sky

Did you actually read what I wrote? Because half of that post was about the stations...

Grubageddon likes this.
  18. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

There MUST be way to get those mechs now... *enables admin*

19. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

That, and it'd be unrealistic for us to lose, say, the ability to look at the planets in a solar system before traveling to it. Starbound takes place at least 500+ years in the future; we're already capable of figuring out even quite advanced stuff about a planet in about a year. Even if computational and detection technology advancement slows down to x2 speed over 20 years, much slower than it is now, it should still only take 1 second to figure out what sort of planets are in a system. And that's not even taking into account the massive boost all technology would get by virtue of different species with different inventions sharing information.

20. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

I wonder if we could find certain NPCs that teleport away after awhile. On the GIF, I saw a yellow NPC ship orbit a planet. Maybe they're on it?

OH, MAYBE THIS UPDATE CAN BRING AN ULTRA RARE POPTOP HAT...AND DIFFERENT POPTOP COLORS.

5future and Jareix Cryvix like this.