Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Axl4325

Axl4325 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

MY DREAMS BECAME TRUE! Im so hyped for this update, this is one of the few things the game needed (and we wanted) and guess what, ITS ON THE WORKS!

Cally94 likes this.
  2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

I wonder if maybe now all the naysayers who bash the game left and right might finally stop complaining and actually give the game a chance, and time to get better.

.........nah, who am I kidding.

These people would complain about winning a million bucks from the lottery because too many taxes were taken out or something.

3. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hokay. And now my ideas.

good. good Idea

Alright. Ship modules/Ship abilities!

you can gauge, add, and remove modules from Penguin Pete. you buy and loot them from ships. you have 2 modules per ship level and can buy more. their effects stack.
    Each module comes in a I, II, III, and IV versions. their effects increase with each level.

Power compensator: increases fire speed by .5 sec per level
    Shield generator: adds 100 HP to shield power per level
    drop bay: stores one mech per level. crew can mount mechs and take them to the surface
    teleporter relay storage: increases crew taken to planet by 1 per level
    boarder pods: adds 2 crew to boarding attempts per level
    charge cell storage: increases weapon damage by 60 per level
    transition relay: adds one ship to your fleet per level
    Let me know if you have any other modules.

ship's weapons are what you expect. railguns, flak cannons, acid blasters, ect.

let me know if you have suggestions to.

Hatsya Souji and DragonsForce like this.
  4. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

Well it is only to be mentioned and be seen in the background of missions where Asra Nox/Cultists show up. For example, on the Hylotl mission, you look to the background to see some large ship sitting on an entire island. Let me get my notebook to see if I wrote more. "The ship/station carries other, smaller ships, cargo, humans, and other random things. "dreadnought-like Kraken space vessel/station also holds her army of purple-hooded human cultists. Mainly since she worships The Ruin after it destroyed Earth, and it just so happens to be an ancient, planet-sized space Kraken. Locked away in another dimension..." I didn't write it down, but I was also thinking about a mission boarding it, destroying it's fuel and exploding the mechanisms holding the arms together. Off topic...

Anyways......how about the return of the U.S.C.M!? Hiding on Mars, and in their space stations! The Robot Factory item can be implemented back in. http://starbounder.org/Robot_Factory
    Why not some space station prisons? Except these aren't abandoned by the U.S.C.M. Unarmed prisoners in their cells and wherever they are allowed to go, while troopers keep an eye out on them.
    Oh, why not procedurally generated robits? Neutral boys who are friendly to troopers. May also be in some derelicts.....

DragonsForce likes this.
  5. MithranArkanere

MithranArkanere Space Kumquat

Nice!

All the navigation interface needs now is being able to zoom in on a planet to see a map of it with a 'fog of war' showing the parts we have explored, and allowing us to click anywhere on the surface or any active teleporter in explored areas to travel there from the ship!

That along a minimap on planets, and I could finally get to play the game!

Right now the only thing keeping me from getting into the game is not having a map and not being able to keep track of what I've explored. So being able to better see systems and the stuff in each of them is great. I just wish I could also see what's in the planets.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2017
    xaliber and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  6. Alex33212

Alex33212 Void-Bound Voyager

I have so many ideas for ship combat based on this... weapons, mechanics of combat, boarding, fighters, planet-to-ship/ship-to-planet combat... aaaaaah!

7. Monario

Monario Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well there's a few different kinds of "naysayers". People who are still hanging around yet complaining, yeah they will keep complaining. The people who left for X or Y reason though, those may come back. And then there's people like me who played the game a little *too* much :p and were waiting for more content, though not because I'm entitled to it, just I knew they were working on more, so I stepped aside for a bit :)

But yeah, loving where this update is going. I'm one of the people who think they may have rushed v1.0 a little bit, but now the game is starting to feel what it should have been on launch.

Edit: Also who am *I* kidding, I'm still playing the game :p building things.

Jareix Cryvix and DragonsForce like this.
  8. SoopaDerpcat

SoopaDerpcat Pangalactic Porcupine

Take all of my yes with extra yestard and yestchup on a yesame seed bun.

ManicRykker, Jareix Cryvix and Lodish like this.
  9. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This guy comes to mind

I watched his videos and at the time he had some legit complaints but oh my god he acts like the Starbound team bullied him and took his lunch money, I dunno how you can get this angry at a game when it was pretty clear that the team was working on making the game better, and still is after almost 3.5 years of EA.

10. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

I actually would you know? i dont know it is where you live, but here is 28% tax for the "good of the state" as they like to dub it (that means politician´s own pockets) and 20% tax for winning (wich means theres around 20-30% chance it wont end up all in theyr pockets

xaliber likes this.
  11. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

That sucks. Where ya at?

12. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Getting a little off-topic, guys.

13. @ndy

@ndy Subatomic Cosmonaut

Indeed,
    sorry about that
    My Fault

But, i guess his update means we can expect space battles within 3-4 Bigger updates?

i expect at least on that will add general content (may or may not be space related),
    one that would add some deeper spaceship costumization?
    and finnely "pew" "pew"?
    well i gues i can only wait and see
    so about 3-6months?

14. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

My guess, based on how quickly the Vault update (with terraforming and all) was released is that we'll see an unstable around the end of the month, and a stable shortly after that.

Lodish, Cally94 and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  15. voiditect

MOAR SUGGESTIONS!
    you can buy vehicle modules to use a special item so you can summon vehicles to help you once per planet visit. They can't be used in missions.
    Dropship: a dropship flies over, deploys covering fire, and then dropping 4 crewmembers.
    gunship: like the dropship above, but all covering fire.
    carrier ship: drops 2 mechs.
    fleet caller: Bombards the area, reducing the area into a lifeless plain.
    hoverbike: a hoverbike zips in,dropping off 2 crew and leaving you a hoverbike.
    portable outpost: Interact with the outpost console on your ship, build the outpost, find a nice planet, and go put it down! required on the outpost: 1 teleporter. Anything can be put on it. you MUST make a new one after using it. you can store them.

you start with room for one extra ship in your fleet when you repair the FTL Drive. +1 ship slot per level of your ship.
    when an NPC joins your crew, there might be a chance they tell you about their ship, taken over by pirates. Stage a boarding attempt and purge the pirates. -1 crew, +1 ship!
    there's a chance that when you destroy a ship, it is salvageable, and you can send a captain. -1 crew, +1 ship!
    you can negotiate a deal for an NPC ship to join you. -0 crew, +1 ship! but they might want you to provide the crew, or pay them a hardy sum.

you can go to other ships at-will and modify them, speak with the captain, or decorate them.

further suggestions?

16. Maethendias

Maethendias Phantasmal Quasar

scared for my worlds

TinoD likes this.
  17. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Make a thread...

18. voiditect

Ooooo-Kay!

I made it.
    I did

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 12, 2017
  19. BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747

BatPetersAKAEnderzilla747 Pangalactic Porcupine

So, will the space stations and space ships sometimes be made out of blocks, sometimes hand crafted unbreakable bootiful textures, or all will be hand made? This update may also bring back the wrecked ship dungeon in the files, just waiting for return…

Hatsya Souji likes this.
  20. Blu Fish

Blu Fish Void-Bound Voyager

If the ships were to be made out of the normal blocks (dirt, wood etc.) then I think that would look very odd. It will probably be pre defined upgrades you can choose from or maybe a new group of blocks just for ship building?