Dev Blog 10th February - Space/Off

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

When be done.

2. MrCasual112

MrCasual112 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

If we get ship combat, with that new UI I'm half expecting asteroids style combat :D

I hope along with all the other content in this patch, that we can upgrade our ships even further. Turn our ships into something Enterprise looking or at least a battleship. I'd also love to be able to board enemy ships and take their ships as my own, and build a fleet :)

Sirius_Morningstar likes this.
  3. Krabbe

Krabbe Pangalactic Porcupine

Do like me, make a fuel generator on a ocean planet . Or you could also do like me and hire a mechanic who loves his job too much and eventually makes a ship which needs no fuel (and still try to make it use less. i tell him to stop and that it is a waste of time in his life, but he on’t stop:nurusad:).

4. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Imo, i think this update, crew members will have significant change. Especially if there's ship combat.
    Mechanics should be able to repair things, engineers can be hired for multiple sorts of upgrades assuming they have the resources, Soldiers can use weapons more effectively, nurses can heal those on the ship (because death should now have a functional respawn timer for NPCs as well, and can only spawn one at a time because your ship should only have one respawn bay by default, though there are aforementioned upgrades I would think) and penguins are great at boarding.

Someone should make a thread for new ship related ideas...

I might do that if it's not already done...

5. Krabbe

Comparison of how the Starbound and a tiny part of the Minecraft community reacts when new stuff is added
    Tiny part of Minecraft community: “I hate th
    And the Starbound community:
    (The quote just fits too good)

6. crystalfeather3

crystalfeather3 Starship Captain

Thank you for all the efforts made on this game. I'm 100 plus hours in and just love this game. You should be proud of your accomplishment in releasing such an incredible product that is still growing and developing. I can only thank you again (and gift this addictive game to friends!)

FloranFighter and Jareix Cryvix like this.
  7. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Minecraft updates have only focused in PvP, llamas and ppolar bears, stuff like that. While it desperately more biomes, dungeons and and more stuff to build with. They made made me not care anymore abot MC to be honest

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  8. MrVyngaard

MrVyngaard Void-Bound Voyager

Looking forward to seeing what comes of these changes. Starbound has become my favorite of the various building games over Minecraft and Terraria due to the emphasis on SF themes, despite the cutesy art style.

9. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Things that we know are coming with this update:
    • Mechs
    • Vehicle customization system
    • Expanded travel mechanics
    • Space stations
    And, last, but probably most, corner blocks. Man, those are going to be amazing for building.

Also, am I the only one who thinks the style of the travel screen doesn't fit well with Starbound's visual style (where everything is at an angle of approximately 30 degrees)?

10. Sharp(JQ)

Sharp(JQ) Ketchup Robot

Waterfalls? )

11. Krabbe

i donj’t judge people for stop playing the game, it is their choice, but it is a tiny bit sad since IMO it is an amazing game (my favourite game because of the possibilities with redstone). What i wanted to say is that I’ve been playing since 1.0 and there have been added more things than lamas, new pvp mechanics and polar bears. in the 1.2 updates ocelots, jungles and redstone lamps were added, think jungle and dessert temples ere added in 1.3 (or 1.4) together ith placable stings and tripwires. in 1.5 they added comparators, hoppers, droppers, blocking repeaters and i think quasi connectivity was added then too. in 1.6 horses and more biomes was added (think the wither was added then too. horses might have been added in 1.7 actually). in 1.8 slimeblocks and banners were added. in 1.9 new combat mechanics were added, end was overhauled, new potions. in 1.10 polar bears and igloos were added. and in 1.11 lamas, observers, nitwits could be found naturally, illagers, woodland mansion and shulker boxes were added. Some of the things might be at wrong update and i have missed some stuff, but this is what i remember

Arnust and DragonsForce like this.
  12. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

But this is starbound. Not minecraft. And from what I tell, while technically "1.0" it's definitely got potential to grow. There's so many things to fix and add on, 1.0's just the foundation of the house set up with the bare essentials. This new update might be the first set of appealing furniture we'll get before this house is truly done.
    Later down the line they'll add on with a better kitchen. Oh! And a nicer living room, with a new tv. Perhaps cleaning up the basement would be nice. Add a better heater and power system. Solar's always a good investment in more southernly areas. Could also perhaps turn the attic into a studio while they're at it.

I'm getting little carried away with the housing metaphors...

Animeboy918 and Lodish like this.
  13. Mat-ato

Mat-ato Aquatic Astronaut

The idea of merchant ships and space stations and this whole interface even is pretty epic!!! can't wait until this update. 'nough said.

14. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Oh I white knight it a lot against the "LOL MINECRAFT SUCKS" people. And updates were very welcomed up to Microsoft buying Mojang. And it's not really Mo deciding, it's Microsoft seeing what is more trendy in YT. Minecraft needs more a reskin of Glowstone than better combat. It's a building game, not a survival. Hard to get that in people's heads, even the devs.

I spent esily 200++ hours in a great community server, with a bunch of plugins thgat still made the game feel natural, just amazing. Also it's great when the Residence plugin is updated, the looting of abandoned tows begins!

Jareix Cryvix and Krabbe like this.
  15. Leak

Leak Subatomic Cosmonaut

Never played Spore, but played Star Control 2 when it first came out over 20 years ago... so I guess it's got the older bragging rights to that kind of system navigation.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  16. Megumin

Megumin Guest

galaxy on fire 3D then

17. AuggieC

AuggieC Space Hobo

THIS IS AWESOME the olny thing I would change it the way the space ships look but that's not a problem

18. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Have I got news for you!

Changing the way the spaceships look is so incredibly easy!

19. 5future

5future Scruffy Nerf-Herder

first mechs, now this... holy "molly"... the game is getting even more intersting!! keep that good work devs!!
    :hylotl::headbanging:

Lodish likes this.
  20. Lord Humungus

Lord Humungus Big Damn Hero

Very nice. I was hoping for this in 1.0 and we'll be getting it soon? Nice.

Hopefully some bright modder once all is said or done adds star control+star control 2 npcs into this. They don't have to be playable or anything but new factions we can run into will be great.