1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Why was weather removed for 1.2?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by DraikNova, Feb 2, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So...if you go to the wiki, you'll see that many types of weather were removed. I can kind of understand why ash storms were removed; accumulating blocks are annoying enough on regular planets and they're downright deadly on volcanic ones, but why were nice, aesthetic-y things like ground mist and fog removed?

2. oinkgamer

oinkgamer Cosmic Narwhal

Was it really 1.2 when they were removed? I think ive been playing since 1.1 and i have never seen either of those weather patterns occur.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Well, that's what the wiki says, and I've only been playing since 1.1, and I've seen them occur, so...probably?

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Probably because they were performance hogs.

5. xaliber

xaliber Scruffy Nerf-Herder

There's no info about that on Starbound version history? Would be nice if we can know the details of things they have changed...

6. lazarus78

xaliber likes this.
  7. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

Ground mist is probably the visually most beautyfull thing they got rid of.
    I could only assume its because of performance. But why not just add these things as toggle in the graphics options?

8. lazarus78

Probably because of how the whole system is set up, you couldn't simply "toggle" them.

9. Maethendias

Maethendias Phantasmal Quasar

Lazarus the dire hm?

there is a way to "add" fog tho
    i recently found a "smoke machine" on some random volcano planet, so if you really need some fog, there IS an option....

10. lazarus78

Damn Mursaat is why I couldn't get the name for my character in GW2. They must have a list of names you cant take because they are story characters, and I was denied the use of Lazarus way back at game release.

Yup, those things are found on volcanic planets. though that have a more dingy gray look to them.

11. Maethendias

1st, they obviously have a list, imagine hundrets of variations of "logan thackeray" running around tyria :rofl:

2nd, fog is fog, in my opinion its just an addition to the flair, nothing major the devs have to worry about (like the pretty bad optimization)
    sure its unfortunate that its gone, it adds a lot of atmosphere, but there are more important matters than "fog" :rofl:

12. Maethendias

at least we still have sprinkly star "rain" :rofl: