Game titles from Hell

Discussion in 'Games' started by I_am_the_Storm, Jan 21, 2017.

1. I_am_the_Storm

I_am_the_Storm Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yeah, all gamers know that.

Sometimes you encounter game, which looks fairly good at a first sight, but once you played it for a while... well, let's just say you'd quit it very fast a never came back, due the game mechanism, graphics, sounds, or bugs and glitches, or for whatever reason. (But only in your opinion! Reviews and rankings from all around the web aside!)

My game title from Hell was RoBoRumble. It's a strategy game from Metropolis, where you build robots and send them on enemy from top-down perception, with zooming and custom units. I love robot-mech-themed games, but this one creeps me out to the presence, due horrible graphics (even in that year of release), not working game mechanics, bugs, and bad sound.

So I'm asking you:
    • Are you played a game, which turns you angry, sad, mad, or crazy?
    • For what reason you don't play it?

Remember... NO flaming, No insults or hate.

MilkCalf likes this.
  2. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

CoD Black Ops, just not my thing; Assassin's Creed 3, let's make a parkour based game in a place where none of the action happens in cities, also with guns, and enemies that you can't fight but drop like a sack of potatoes if you jump on them from a box or a barrel or something; Thief, the game was just too boring to justify dealing with those things near the end of the game; Battlefield 3, retarded storyline and boring chaotic multiplayer. I pretty much gave up on mainstream AAA stuff after this.
    Also, Rust, Space Engineers, The Forest and some others probably, the only good one of this genre that i played was subnautica.

MilkCalf and I_am_the_Storm like this.
  3. I_am_the_Storm

Truth, modern mainstream AAA games isn't what is was before... say, before 2009? Games in these days bets on graphic, movie-like atmosphere and narration, epicness, and multiplayer. Not all, of course. Yes, they can be good, if properly made, but they are often filled with bugs, weird game mechanism, and similiar things that made them boring, for one reason or another. Or it's just me, I don't know... :)
    I didn't played these games, to be honest... except first Thief, so I can't say my opinion on them.

STCW262 likes this.
  4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

I read the title differently...

For me there is only 1 game that I have played that I can think of and its incredibly crap...

Destiny.

I have never repeated myself so much ever. I bought it the weekend the game was available. Sent it back by the end of the same weekend. Nopenope.

HueHuey likes this.
  5. I_am_the_Storm

My fault. Is there a way to change the title? I know I sound like a total 'knows-nothing' but I don't want to press something bad. Don't beat me for that... ;-)

And about that Destiny game... Is repeating the only issue in this game, that's made it an 'incredibly crap'-y?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  6. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Assassin's Creed (the first one) probably counts for me. I'd heard everyone sing praises about the series when I saw it re-released for $20, so I thought I'd give it a go. To say it was disappointing was an understatement.

Once I'd spent a couple of hours stumbling around town, scouring the map for flags and accidentally stabbing people due to the wonky controls, I came to an enemy camp. With most of my stealth experience coming from Thief and Deus Ex, I assumed I could lure them out and kill them one-by-one. I got maybe halfway through the enemy garrison before quitting. Upon reloading, all the enemies had respawned, rendering the half hour or so I'd spent killing them pointless. I was pretty unimpressed by that point, but kept on going.

Getting to the first city and doing a couple of assassination missions was OK, but when the next set of districts unlocked I really started losing engagement. The gameplay was pretty repetitive, I was still struggling to get my head around some of the mechanics, and the story wasn't terribly memorable. I played went back to playing something else not long after that, and haven't felt the urge to return since.

It's a shame, because I've later learned that the later games are much better than the first. I recently played the first Watch Dogs, and managed to get some enjoyment out of that. I also gave genuine consideration to getting Assassin's Creed Syndicate, and if I do ever have another attempt at the series, that's where I'll likely be going. But Assassin's Creed really stood out to me as a game I failed to get into, and I doubt it's one I'll be re-attempting any time soon.

MilkCalf likes this.
  7. I_am_the_Storm

Yes, I agree. Killing same enemies on the same spot, over and over, is frustrating. It reminds me old good Diablo 2; grinding and farming was cool, but after while it became a little frustrating and after you obtain some very powerful unique or set equipment and/or reach 100 level, it became even pointless.
    Although, it's worth to come back to it, install some mods, and play it again, but it's just my opinion.

8. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Its not your fault. The title is fine. I read it as "titles from Hel lol.

I was like whaaa I'm not designer

9. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

For me, up on the list is probably Assassin's Creed 3
    In contrary to Jonesy, I really enjoyed Assassin's Creed 1 (albeit it the first release on the PS3) and probably played it trice. I wasn't allowed to get AC2 at the time that was around, but when AC3 came out I thought "I liked AC1, surely I'll like AC3!"

Boy was I wrong. Whereas AC1 still had a bit of difficulty to it (although spamming "Counter" won you every battle), AC3 was just hilarious. By the time I got the first pistol it just became "oh enemy" *BLAM*
    Most weapons were absolutely useless to me. I bought one sword near the start and never saw the need to change it, because if you weren't winning everything with your pistol then you're doing something wrong.
    The first PS3 release of AC3 was also riddled with bugs they never patched. Certain parts in the world caused an instant crash. I got stuck in places I shouldn't be because the death trigger boxes were wrong. The underground was always a certain crash at least somewhere along the line and one of them, I believe the Boston one, would glitch out visuals so hard it gives even normal people a seizure. Multiple places you were supposed to be able to get to, indicated by collectables, were unreachable. Last mission was a trainwreck to get through because of how Dipwad-- I mean Edward would jump. Not to mention I liked the Templars in it more than the assassins.

The only redeeming thing in my eyes were the (repetitive) ship sections. I never had to upgrade it much.

All in all, €60 euros I wasted hard.
    Luckily I also bought LittleBigPlanet Karting - which was as much a disappointment and nothing like the LBP games I love - for €60 too, so I'm just blaming it on a bad day instead of bad judgement.

10. I_am_the_Storm

LOL!
    I'd didn't realize that similiarity, until I'd looked on your name!

Well... that's a lot of money, friend. Worst thing is, we never know, if this or other game is good or not, until we play it. We may watch gameplay or Let's Play videos, see trailers and pictures, read the features and/or review for that game, but it doesn't tell us nothing particular. We MUST play it, because that's the only way to find out, if that game is good or bad for us.

11. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Skyrim. Immortal NPCs, buggy combat system and it doesn't have the features that previous TES titles had. I had to download and manually install over 250 mods to make it enjoyable. You'll take damage before weapon touches you, arrows and melee blows can magically go through your enemies as if they were ghosts. Heartfire DLC lets you get married to your soulless robot-like wife or husband that has absolutely no emotions or personality.

There's a Dawnguard DLC with Dawnguard patrols equipped with crossbows, but you are unable to use them unless you will start the Dawnguard questline. Yeah, crossbows are so complicated that you need a special training in order to use them. You can't just pick up a crossbow and use it, it's some next level rocket science shit. I could write a book about Skyrim's flaws.

I uninstalled Skyrim few months ago, and now I don't have the time and patience to install hundreds of mods. So I will never play it again, and that is good for my mental health. F this game.

Arnust and I_am_the_Storm like this.
  12. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

I don't remember this bit...wtf?
    But yeah i agree, i enjoyed Skyrim the first time around, but i don't think i could play it again.

13. Surenu

Surenu The End of Time

Sim City 5. I have stopped preordering games entirely..

14. I_am_the_Storm

Yes, player cannot play as a evil character entirely because immortal NPCs, and fight was boring after while. Sometimes I even get hit by arrow which stuck above my character's head. Mods makes it a lot better, unnofficial patch fix many bugs and make it more stable, sure, but I personally think it's not enough. After hundreds of replay, after hundreds of installed mods and nearly thousand crashes due memory, old graphic card, conflicting mods or just because I totally messed it up, I probably don't return to it too. But it's a shame, I liked it very much...

STCW262 likes this.
  15. Katkill

Katkill Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You need mods and ini tweaks just to make it more stable, but even then it will randomly crash. It will crash even if you have NASA PC. Combat system is broken beyond repair, I just gave up with waving sharpened sticks and punched everyone to death.
    Difficulty levels are complete bullshit. On easy difficulties you're a level 1 god of war, on legendary you just click the left mouse button until your hand falls off and drink an ocean of healing potions. Everyone also gets magic ninja dodge ability, so rats and crabs can dodge your arrows even if they don't see them coming.

College of Winterhold was amazing. Cast a shitty spell 2 or 3 times through the entire questline, then punch everyone to death and BOOM - you're an archmage. Beating people is magical.
    I really wanted this game to be good.

16. I_am_the_Storm

I don't know, why Bethesda didn't fixed these critical issues. A great percentage of players haved and have problems related to broken stabilty, either on vanilla or modified game. There's a guides around the internet, but they don't fix it, just makes it playable about 30-40 minutes longer, maybe less. I've got crash or freeze almost every 30 minutes. Skyrim isn't the only game with similiar problems, by the way, but surely is one of these games, that is and will be the most crashing game from all. I don't even speak about unrealistic behavior and odd overall mechanics, as you'd say...

17. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

Fallout 4. I summarized some of my thoughts in the Fallout thread and in NMA, but this is the worst game I've played and it belongs to my top 5 franchises. If Skyrim was bad, this is so much worse. Becouse of Bethesda, modding is even shittier and is even less memorable than Fo3, which was Oblivion with guns and a Fallout skin but at least it allowed NV to exist.

Others are ACIII, it crashed at the second cutscene, Bioshock after Infinite, that IMO is a completely overrated series, Terraria i can never be asked to "finish" it as normally I came back to Dtarbound for then.

ICO/Shadow of The Colossus is the most recent. It's just the goddamn camera. Is the game so mind blowing that makes you forget about that? Genuinely curious.

Also guys, if you liked Skyrim in vague concept but not the actual thick of it, try out Enderal. While the hard hard coded stuff like combat is still there, it overhauls everything to the point of being a completely new mod, it's own world, lore, etc. a great mod

I_am_the_Storm likes this.
  18. I_am_the_Storm

Yes. The mod is out for some time. Enderal looks promising, the kind of tropical areas can be a good change, but I'm afraid the old bugs from base game (even after patching with unnofficial patch) will still be there.
    Just in my opinion, of course...

19. Arnust

Arnust Big Damn Hero

The real issues I got were easily remedied by a bit of "mod resilience".

In the overworld, the NPCs (no technically companions, you accompany certain NPC for quests) don't follow you Wherever and normally stay in the main road. Navmeshing such a big map is p'hard yknow.
    There is some issue with player housing, but tbh the HQ vendors and crafting areas plus your EnderChest (lol) are enough.
    Due to the quests being script-heavy, sometimes stuff just doesn't trigger. Not very dramatic, just save early, save often; and don't make the game suffer by doing overly weird stuff when not needed.
    T'was it really. It also is packing a bunch of other mods so vanilla bugs dhouldn't be much of an issue, plus vanilla is not there beyond the engine.

It's also worth accounting that the game is pretty polished by now. Before the English location, it spent like two years after its launch with updates and patches at the original German version.
    More over, a "DLC" is coming that will mostly restore cut content, add some build variety and a new ending. Have I talked about the story? MMMMM

20. Redacted Revenant

Redacted Revenant Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I only need to mention its accursed name for everyone to understand...
    Sonic '06

I_am_the_Storm likes this.