1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

If you had to get rid of once race permanently, which would it be and why?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Sneve, Jan 31, 2017.

1. Sneve

Sneve Void-Bound Voyager

Just want to know what race would the majority of Starbound players would get rid of and why, I'd have to say the Human's as I find the lack of anything out of the ordinary to be boring.

T0ASTY and Sir Wilfrey like this.
  2. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

Humans.

There's only room for one race of psychotic, greedy predators.

Steamwolf and Polecat like this.
  3. TTStooge

TTStooge Big Damn Hero

You didn't specify if you meant player races or all races, so I'm just gonna go with the Froggs. :badpokerface:

krylo, Sylxeria and S.A.A. like this.
  4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Not sure I understand the question.

If that's about "what race you like the least", then likely Hylotl. Never liked elitists and snobs, plus I prefer Chinese culture over Japanese anyway. Albeit if the also include modded ones, then Avali probably recieve even less endorsement from me.

If the question is "what race galaxy would be better without", then I have to suggest whatever race I'm playing now Apex, but only because Miniknog is flanderised into consisting only of crappy Mengele clones and crappy Che Guevara clones that make inhuman-yet-PG13 experiments and wage not-so-secret war with eachother without regards to collateral damage. I mean, dystopian futuristic faction can be made cool (albeit shitty rebels almost never interest me in such kind of stories), but Chucklefish seems to take the most bland route available with their lore.

And about humans, the fact that they're so square is, paradoxally, their main advantage, because you can turn them into anything you like.

krylo, S.A.A., STCW262 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Corleone

Corleone Subatomic Cosmonaut

If its playable races I must say Novakids.
    I find the whole wild west concept rather silly.
    Would be much cooler if they where living in crystal homes for example.

S.A.A. likes this.
  6. Playah

Playah Phantasmal Quasar

If I HAD to? It's hard to say.
    It's a toss-up between Humans and Apex. We can suffice with just one hominidae, I figure.

7. YellowDemonHurlr

YellowDemonHurlr Ketchup Robot

Nah, you have to keep humans. They're the baseline for comparison.

I don't think I'd get rid of any of the races, just retool them. Ditch the "humanoid animal alien with a humanlike culture" aspects and make them actual aliens. Make the apex less like apes and less obviously based on 1984, the avians less avian and less Aztec. Physically I suppose the florans, hylotyl, and novakid could get away with staying as they are, but culturally I think I'd prefer them less like feudal Japan and the Wild West, respectively. You can keep the core aspects of their cultures: a big brother state, a radical religion, brutal tribes, cultured snobs, and wacky reckless geniuses, just give them some original flavor.

Froggs? Too froggy. I like the culture of the agarans, but not the fact that they're talking mushrooms. The llama people could be a little more alien and a whole lot less Scottish Viking. The penguins are just weird, they have all of the downsides of being a reused Earth species and none of the benefits of shared sprites. I suppose you could explain them away as having been uplifted. Fenerox are okay as-is, they don't look or act enough like anything I'm familiar with to be annoying.

*cough, splutter, innocent whistling*

Jerln, S.A.A., OzonSF and 4 others like this.
  8. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Probably because you are human yourself, so they seem generic, but to a potential other race, humans might seem facinating. If they made humans special, then they are no longer "human".

S.A.A. likes this.
  9. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

So, let's take for instance Red Alert series, Soviets, Yuri and Empire of Rising Sun aren't humans because they're different from Allies?
    I mean, every work of ficion that has multiple factions has a "baseline" faction that exists for two purposes: first, to provide us with, well, baseline to compare all other folks to them, second, to have at least one faction we as a spectators/readers/players/whatever can understand and relate to.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Im not saying they literally aren't human, Im saying they aren't from a figurative perspective. The baseline faction seems so generic because it relates most to the average player, and since we are literally around humans our entire lives, humans seem bland and boring, where as other races in such games as this seem more interesting because of the "exotic" appeal. Same concept for why our home towns feel bland compared to others. I mean, myself, I live in a very popular tourist destination, but to me, my city feels like it is nothing special. If they made humans have something special about them, then they are no longer as relatable, so they are no longer "human" in a sense. Look at superheros. Spiderman is human, but is he relatable? Not really, because he has superpowers.

Despite that, however, "human" races in games are typically the most popular one, primarily due to their reliability. 17% of Wow characters are human, only slightly beat out by Blood Elf. 34.5% of Guild Wars 2 is human.

S.A.A. and Never like this.
  11. T0ASTY

T0ASTY Aquatic Astronaut

Probably Apex. Even though their story and armor is cool, I don't like them. And that is only because of their look. Of course, this is just my opinion.

12. CM981

CM981 Void-Bound Voyager

I'd lose the Avians. Mostly an aesthetic thing, because I don't like their armour and their whole Kluex thing isn't interesting enough to play. I would miss the air ships though, considering removing a race would remove that races dungeons. I also don't particularly like the look of the Avian ship, but again, that's an aesthetic issue. This is not to say I actually want them removed. Just more so than the others

13. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

I'd kill all the apes,
    Avali are cool
    Apes... this is just a start of Planet Galaxy of the Apes

14. YellowDemonHurlr

Psst. Humans are apes.

15. ExplorerRowan

ExplorerRowan Aquatic Astronaut

"Get rid of" is a bit strong. I like all the races in the game, even the really silly NPC races like the Frogg and the Alpaca. But I would make the Florans unplayable. I think their story is the hardest to shoehorn into a playable race, as they're still clearly into hunting and eating other people. I think having the Floran villages and whatnot in the game is great, they're just the least likely to ever become Protectors or otherwise join civilized galactic society. Even Glitch seem to understand common decency and being polite to fellow intelligent beings, even if they're a bit backward. I would sooner have playable Frogg or Fenerox and unplayable Floran.

Corleone likes this.
  16. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

I don't care if i would eradicate two i would both
    My list would be like this
    Apes
    Humans
    Cat-Humans
    Any-other-species-mod-than-Avali
    Florans
    Avians
    Novakids
    Avali

17. Mythril-Jelly

Mythril-Jelly Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I find humans could have been a little more interesting if they'd went in a different direction, having Earth so heavily polluted that their lungs and life support augmentation had grown around the toxic environment. While the toxins continued to flood the planet technology remained mostly primitive, leading to rustic steampunk architecture and bulky prosthetics. Humans that decided to leave Earth had to receive special breathing modifications to allow them to survive outside of the toxins they had adapted to. Unstable population increases led to quick colonization of foreign systems which they would carelessly mine for resources, leaving the Toxic biomes we know today.

That aside... Alpacas and their numerous limbs do weird me out a bit. But I wouldn't genocide 'em merely for that.

18. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

That sounds like the typical sci-fi story of "Earth is so FUBAR only leaving is possible" that utterly disregards that scientific advances could easily fix that; and, if anyhting, that situation would lead to technological advancements, so a steampunk aesthetic wouldn't fit.
    If you were to go with that, using some sort of "World War Nth" as the reason would be more fitting, considering that some fronts from WWI such as some zones of Verdun are STILL polluted, and that was before things such as nuclear (Or worse) weapons, depleted uranium weapons, etc...
    If anything, it would be more fitting for that story to be used for a different race.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    krylo and S.A.A. like this.
  19. YellowDemonHurlr

While the ridiculously polluted Earth story is both overused an improbable, the second part about adapting to the pollution is actually kind of interesting... but I concur, I feel like it would be better applied to a different race. Part of the job of playable humans in a setting where aliens are prevalent is to provide an anchor point of familiarity.

krylo, S.A.A., Dipdoo and 1 other person like this.
  20. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Apex. They're basically just hairy humans from a more cynical setting (okay, they were apparently the elves of the setting before VEP, but that's neither here nor there), and they don't really fit that well with the rest of the setting.