Modding Help Trouble getting my race's characterImage to show

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Hamroids, Feb 2, 2017.

1. Hamroids

Hamroids Orbital Explorer

Basically just as the title says, for some reason I can't figure out my race's custom selection image is not showing up. I've confirmed the path is correct in my racename.species file, and what's even weirder is that the custom female/male symbols that are kept in the same interface folder as the custom race image are loading fine.

Here's a quick picture of my problem:

[​IMG]

As you can see, nothing is showing in the box of the race itself. All other race mods show their custom image for me, and I've tested it with every other mod disabled (except the character extender of course). For reference, here is my racename.species JSON settings:

Any help is super appreciated. I've been puzzling over this for the last couple days with no luck and would be more than happy to find that I've overlooked something dumb.

2. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

does the capitalization match?

3. Hamroids

You mean the file specified in racename.species with the file it references? Just double-checked that and it's all good.

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

You may need to make the icons for that part, a male and female portrait of your custom race and put those in the same place as the gender icons.

5. Hamroids

Yes, I have but that's the problem. Despite having the proper files (simple edit versions of the human ones from Skittles Template Race Mod) and having them named the same thing as is pointed to in my racename.species file, they won't show.

6. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

try changing them to all lowercase

7. Hamroids

So this got me thinking. I tried re-extracting the entire race files with Skittles' mod, and when I named the race in all-lowecase it worked. However, now I have the problem that I can't change the race name in the same menu from being all lowercase 'hamlet' Not as big of a deal, but still really bugging me when every core race's name is all-caps.

8. Chofranc

Chofranc Pangalactic Porcupine

Go to your .species file and find "charGenTextLabels", those labels can be whatever since they are just the text that show in the char creation window, there you will find the name of your race that is showed in the char creation window and set it in caps, that is just text that doesn't affect anything.

IHart likes this.
  9. Hamroids

Perfect, that's just what I needed to know. Thanks a ton, everything is looking great now!