Modding Help Police Station

Discussion in 'Mods' started by HopeWasHere, Jan 31, 2017.

1. HopeWasHere

HopeWasHere Existential Complex

Hey, I know I and others have expressed interest in having an NPC who is a police officer and a station for them to reside. (Shout outs to http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/johnny-law.129227/#post-3095511 and http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/help-with-adding-a-new-character.127258/#post-3067213)

I've been working on the station for a while and this is what I've been able to come up with: [​IMG]

The problem is, I can't seem to get the Advanced Location Loader to work with my town map. Anyone willing to help me figure that out? Once I get the ALL to work with it I'll start work on the inside, and then the characters.

I was thinking Shanice Johnson (dateable), a lady cop who is eager to help anyone at a moments notice; Bradley Rogers (dateable), a fireman and part time cop who is bored all the time in this small town; and Chief Darryl Marshall, an older gentleman who watches over the station and his two underlings.

If anyone else has any more ideas, or would like to contribute in some way, feel free to let me know! I'm open to any and all critiques.

Update 2/1/17
    Got a couple of character previews done.

Bradley Rogers and his Dalmatian, Ash
    [​IMG]
    Thanks again to @Chrysanthe for the wonderful hair edit

Shanice Johnson
    [​IMG]

Update 2/2/17
    After some suggestions from the community, I've changed up the look of the police station:

[​IMG]
    (The bell is used with permission from junimods from her lovely seasonal buildings mod)

I've been away from my computer for a bit but I should be able to crack down on the ALL stuff tonight and try to get a map put together. I'm trying to get the inside of the station made, but it's not looking quite right. If anyone has experience with this and would be willing to help, please let me know. Thanks again for all the support!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
      Xiddav, Coolwyngs, Mana-chan and 8 others like this.
    • Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Looking good! I've had a police station in mind for a while now for the collaborative effort, SunDrop Village but haven't gotten around to doing anything with it yet. I'm one data restrictions at home for the moment, but I should be getting some internet (finally) within at least the next two weeks so I can get down to business. (I have two Xfinity accounts but no wifi signal out in the middle of nowhere). If you need any assistance feel free to inbox me on here. I'd be glad to help!

• HopeWasHere

Progress is slow, but here is an update on some of the characters I was thinking about:
        Bradley Rogers and his Dalmatian, Ash
        Bradley Rogers Preview.png

Shanice Johnson
        Shanice Johnson Preview.png

More characters and updates to come. Hopefully ALL will stop kicking my butt here soon

Minakie likes this.
        • Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I was thinking what else could be made to turn it into a fire station hybrid and I realized most fire stations have either a bell or another kind of alarm system to alert the population of eminent danger. Not sure if that could be implemente within the amount of available space, maybe on top of the fire truck garage? And maybe on the roof of the police station you can add an area for helicopters to land. ;)

• HopeWasHere

That's a really good idea :) A bell shouldn't be too hard to make.
            I was thinking about a helicopter, but I thought that would kinda take away from the "cops who have literally nothing to do all day" thing, and helicopters are hard to draw :p

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I was just thinking of an helicopter landing pad, I know tiny helicopters can be tricky, even with the proper reference pictures.

• HopeWasHere

That's a cute helicopter :)
                Yeah, I think you're right. That way it doesn't look like the joja roof that it'll be right next to. Thanks! :)

• Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

I would change Bradley's hair, personally. It's too similar to Kent.

And personally, I'd suggest trying to make him Latino or Asian to help with diversity a bit.

queertactics and Aveloren like this.
                  • Aveloren

Aveloren Subatomic Cosmonaut

I love the idea! It would really give the town a classical community feel.

Perhaps an "emergency service station" replacing the Joja Mart after that quest line is complete? Although it would be highly involved and very ambitious, another quest series to build and fund the emergency station would be amazing for the longevity of the game.

Regardless, once again, excellent idea.

• queertactics

queertactics Subatomic Cosmonaut

okay I seriously love this

• tegobash

tegobash Big Damn Hero

It's amazing! If you have any questions with ALL feel free to ask.

• HopeWasHere

Here's an update: changed up the look of the station to include a firetruck (that might still need editing)
                          [​IMG]

That is a good idea, but I did want to make him a red head since there weren't any males, and he's a firefighter (firey hair, firey job). Though I am working on another mod that adds a hotel to the bus stop area that will have a Latino dateable female and an African-American dateable male. As for the similarities between Bradley and Kent, I think you're right. I'll look to see if there's something that can be done to change that.

I think that's a really cool idea, but what about the people who go the Joja Mart route? If it were to replace the old building, those people would miss out. I would like to add even more areas to the game, maybe a national forest. That would be a great place to have an emergency station, plus Stardew Valley is a pretty quiet town. I would like to add events with fires and burglars or something, but as it is there isn't much of a need for something that big. But I really like the idea!

Thank you, it means a lot to have support in my first mod :)

Wow, it's an honor to hear from both you and Androxilogin. I love your mods and wanted to make this mod specifically to work with the mod you're currently working on and the SunDrop Village mod that Androxilogin is heading up. Currently he is trying to teach me how to use ALL, but I'm a terrible student and am not getting it... If it gets to be too tough I'll definitely see if you can answer my questions. Thanks again!

eemie and Minakie like this.
                          • Fyn

Fyn Pangalactic Porcupine

I like the new station look! as for location, there's room just under the Community Center that would fit it pretty well. You'd just have to add a road to connect it. Or you can put it under the Joja Mart, where one of the statue chests is. (Just move the chest to be next to the fire station)

Just for the record, Red hair isn't actually exclusive to caucasians. It's a genetic thing.

https://howtobearedhead.com/9-natural-redheads-from-different-backgrounds-and-ethnicities/

Red hair people are rare because it's a rather recessive trait, so getting it to line up with both parents genetics tends to be rare.

Minakie likes this.
                            • Androxilogin

For those of whom are considering this replacing Jojamart, yes, this could be done as a map replacement after it is closed down (replace the .xnb after the fact) but the reason I didn't choose to do anything like that is because this will most likely change in an official update not to mention other complications it may cause later, it's best to just go with an empty area.

• queertactics

queertactics Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oooh, a national forest would be a great idea! I agree with a bunch of the above posters, I don't think replacing the JojaMart would be viable -- thing of it is, if you have one save file that still has an operational JojaMart, and you replace it, the game glitches pretty hard and generally crashes in my experience. I'm super stoked someone else mentioned red hair not being an exclusively white thing (Blake Griffin, hot dang :lickitung:<3) but also like, thanks for expanding upon your other plans for diversifying the cast I'm totally looking forward to seeing your other mods, your art style is fantastic and perfectly immersive into the game's style. The bricks on this building are just, dang. A+++++.

EDIT: heh, i have no idea how you'd code it, but it'd be pretty funny if there was a fine for chopping down trees. cause, y'know, destroying stuff in national forests is a federal offence. i'm like 98% joking, but it'd be cool if it was possible

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
                                  Minakie and xangria like this.
                                • eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

The artwork so far is super good.

• eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

We already have Elliott as a male toned down redhead. Not to mention Sebastian is probably red as well since Robin is and there are people who are using a mod to make him ginger.

There are at least 4 gingers in the game. I get why you opted for a redhead cause he's a firefighter, but it would be refreshing to see a different hair colour this time. Plus I really liked your latino firefighter! You could always release both versions, the redheaded firefighter is still good artwork.

Do what you want with my thoughts, you don't have to listen to me at all lol.

• Minakie

Minakie Cosmic Narwhal

I agree, most people in Discord seemed to like the hispanic version better, myself included. :)

• HopeWasHere

I'm waiting for the creator of the hair mod to get back to me for permission to use their hairstyle before I post him, but I will end up using a Latino look. I'm sad that Elliot is considered a red head, his hair is so dark! And the ginger Sebastian mod never looked right to me... My husband is a bright red redhead, and he tells me that all the other reds are inferior :p

Minakie and Androxilogin like this.
                                        • Androxilogin

I agree, the redheaded Sebastian just doesn't look right. The redness in Robin's hair I think looks more dirty blonde/brown haired.

HopeWasHere likes this.