Dev Blog 23rd January - Mobile Suit Fun-Time!

Discussion in 'Dev Blog' started by mollygos, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Hey everyone!

Our first two posts of the year were a bit brief - we were catching up after the holidays, and we had a hotfix to release and patch notes to post! We've comfortably settled back into our routines and projects now, and we've got a brand new Starbound update in the works. Seems like a good time to take a minute to catch up.

2016 was really huge for us! In July, we finally released Starbound 1.0 after five years of development. Over the Christmas break, we hit another milestone - we've sold over 2.5 million copies of Starbound! I'm trying to visualize a crowd of two and a half million people, but I'm struggling. We'll just go with... that's a lot of people? That's a lot of copies! That's a lot of alpaca suits and Matter Manipulators and dead Poptops.

So thank you for sticking with us over the years, for buying and playing our game and recommending it to your friends and having faith in our ability to pull this whole thing off. We couldn't have done it without you. :)

Every patch we see loads of comments from the community about what they love about the game and what they want to see more of. This patch, we're working on fleshing out a part of the game that's exciting to a lot of us in the office, as well as a lot of you out there: space! We've got lots of big plans for this update, but here's a little preview showing some of what we've got in the works.

[​IMG]
    (bigger gif)

2. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

I want it. X3

TheFloranChef and Axe Garian like this.
  3. JawBreaker0

JawBreaker0 Void-Bound Voyager

Very Cool!

Axe Garian likes this.
  4. Beathrus

Beathrus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

L-Lagann?

5. MrVauxs

MrVauxs Giant Laser Beams

Characteristics: Hylotl
    What it seems to have: Airlock, LEGS (instead of f***ing hovers), and maybe jetpack? (it had to get somehow onto that asteroid)
    Equipment: An Blade like arm, probably to cut enemies in short distance, probably armor piercing due to it Rapier like shape.
    An arm with empty hole and installed flashlight, probably modular.

TheFloranChef and Axe Garian like this.
  6. Kawa

Kawa Tiy's Beard

Who the hell do you think they are?

7. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

S-lagann

8. Ceois

Ceois Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Holy macaroni!!!

9. MrVauxs

What are those of three? I mean Lagann and Slagann

Macaroni Monster
    Holy Pasta!

Axe Garian likes this.
  10. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

S Lagann = Starbound Lagann

Iris Blanche and Axe Garian like this.
  11. MrVauxs

Dafaq are those JoJo Bizzare Adventure Ripoffs

xaliber, Godbot and ODST 4900 like this.
  12. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

So what exactly are we looking at.....looks like a non player ship but is it a set piece dungeon in asteroid fields or is there some form interaction with other ships in space? Can we potentially trade our ship for new ones?

Axe Garian likes this.
  13. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Well that is a fine piece of machinery you have there. Scouting ships, or is that wreckage... Regardless looks like another shift in gears emerging for a new year. Definitely awaiting to see what you do with this one. Love seeing the game expand the horizon into... other places. And thank you for a wonderful game. :nuruhappy:

14. Alpha_StevO

Alpha_StevO Phantasmal Quasar

Been lookin' forward to mechs for a LOOOONG time.

Here's hopin' that puny dink isn't the biggest we're gonna get; let's see those randomgen Kaijus mentioned years ago get implemented, and have us fight them in a mech of equivalent sizes! SHOW THOSE MONSTERS WHO'S THE REAL MONSTER!

15. Thom78100

Thom78100 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES I was just thinking we needed mechs! Looks awesome. Maybe they will be customisable?

Axe Garian likes this.
  16. ManicRykker

ManicRykker Phantasmal Quasar

Oooh this looks juicy. It's always sad seeing unused content sitting in the game assets like mechs.. And if you're finally fleshing that out that's awesome!

Looking forward to what ever is in the works here :D

Axe Garian likes this.
  17. GenoMech

GenoMech Cosmic Narwhal

Hmmmm...that mech.......HMMMMMMM

Judging by how its being used.......the limbs....the style of it.....i have come up with some thoughts

The mech seems to have raymanian styled limbs, which would make it easier to move around and program for...but ALSO the possibility of customizable parts of the mech.

Each part of the mech could be treated like our character with individual parts (head, torso, arms, legs, etc) being able to be changed to something else. Basically mix and matching parts like from being all utility to being a full battle mech.

I could see like you can add a drill arm, a flashlight, and jump jets for mining or a laser, rockets, and shield for fighting, or even all around like having hover legs over water and lava.

Now something like the drill arm and rocket launcher are specifically for the arms, but the shield and jump jets would be upgrades and/or techs you add over time. Upgrades like increasing the armor or speed, or in terms of tech, getting a ground stomp or a minerals scanner.

I could see it as a near endgame tool, especially if we'll be exploring large ships, who knows what we'd run into with doors that big.

To balance something like this out, maybe instead of it being in orb you carry around, you have to build it from scratch, and once its destroyed, you'd to be rebuild it costing maybe 10000 pxl, or if you get to a location you can traverse through like small doors, you can recall it back to like a mech bay. At this mech bay is were u'd upgrade it with new parts, tech, even switching to different paint schemes. Also, just for as a quality of life upgrade, you could get a device that could teleport it to your location, provided the space and requirements are met

Its great to back ^ ^

18. MarshCreature

MarshCreature Void-Bound Voyager

i wonder will the mech be a new vehicle like the boat and the bike or will it be part of a new mission ? it looks really cool i'm hoping in the future we see a barber shop or a way to change appearances.

Axe Garian likes this.
  19. DarthTrethon

DarthTrethon Spaceman Spiff

Hopefully the mechs can come in many variations and at least the combat ones will be more sturdy than a wet paper napkin......hopefully they'll be good. And it's unclear what the NPC ship actually is.....could be a set piece dungeon for asteroid fields or something more meaningful.....maybe even a way for us to change our ship. Again, hopefully it will be good. I'd also like to see vehicles that don't smash into everything and last more than five minutes.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2017
    Axe Garian likes this.
  20. muxaun

muxaun Subatomic Cosmonaut

Do you plan to add some sounds for monsters?
    The "beep" sound every monster is making is so boring.