1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Optional Story [SB 1.3] Update 1.3b

Optional Story Mode Skipper for SB 1.3

1. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

The | Suit submitted a new mod:

Optional Story - Optional Story Mode Skipper for SB 1.2

Read more about this mod...

2. Darkspinesupersonic8

Darkspinesupersonic8 Pangalactic Porcupine

This.. is an amazing mod! Finally, story mode is optional.

Just um.. if I may ask, how easy would it be to alter the mod when downloaded so that you can skip the outpost as well? For me the outpost still 'ties in' to the storyline in the way of esther talking to you, and generally I'd rather just fuel my ship and go high tail across the galaxy as I please.

Or.. is that already possible?

3. The | Suit

You don't need to go to the outpost at all if you don't want to.
    But to get the first 3 techs ( or to change techs in general ) - also the Ancient Vaults - you need to eventually visit the outpost.

Essentially outpost is only optional - but it has things there that make life easier such as teleporter shop.

Darkspinesupersonic8 likes this.
  4. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

is it possible to add the outpost as a destination to your ship teleporter as a part of this?

5. The | Suit

You mean from the beginning it self?
    You still gain the outpost marker the same way - through the ancient gate in the starting world.

I didn't change it - since you need to mine materials anyway to begin the game. So might as well keep that part of the mechanic.

IHart likes this.
  6. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Ah, one more question. WIll we have access to the scan function for the manipulator from the start now, or still need to do that quest?

Edit: and how does it affect the ability to upgrade one's ship? Normally leashed by story progression or crew size.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2017
  7. The | Suit

That is a good question, I will need to check that.

In theory upgrading ship should be the same - but if you have any issue feel free to report a bug.
    You don't need to progress through the story - just visit the penguin or get crew members.

8. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Alright, got a chance to play... It seems starting a new game results in the ship never leaving hyperspace. You have access to the fuel hatch and captains chair, but the star map never generates. The deceleration sound still plays after a while, but it never actually slows. Things seemed to work fine on a character that had already been made and was at a world. Deleting the universe folder contents, and thus making a new universe, makes all characters regardless of progression stuck in hyperdrive.

Edit: Removing the mod then letting the planet load and ship go into orbit works. Re-adding the mod seems to be fine then. THough the MM scanner doesn't appear to be unlocked at the start.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. The | Suit

This mod doesn't edit any of those features - it only edits the pre requisite settings settings of 2 quests and the reward for another. So none of those issues are related.

Which means some other mod is causing the conflict - quite possibly by a person who did not use patch files.

10. IHart

IHart Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i experience this semi-frequently when making new characters rapidly so i have always assumed it was a result of ram overtaxing or just a random parsing error.

11. The | Suit

The | Suit updated Optional Story with a new update entry:

Bug Fix 1.1

Read the rest of this update entry...

12. The | Suit

13. ShinyPants

ShinyPants Void-Bound Voyager

Do you have to start a new character in order for this mod to work? Either way, I'm very thankful that this mod exists!

14. The | Suit

Technically yes - but you don't need to play the new character.
    What the mod does is - when you make a new character and activate the ship - it globally changes the universe for all characters to an endgame state.

After that you can delete the new character if you wish.

ShinyPants likes this.
  15. The | Suit