1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Stardew Valley Xbox One + PS4: Known Issues & Fixes (Patch 1)

Discussion in 'Support' started by Katzeus, Dec 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shb9579

shb9579 Space Hobo

If they are anything like me I'm going to bet, even if they weren't sitting in front of a screen, they were thinking about it.

I remember as a student, working in Tesco, and i had a print out of a piece of code that didn't work. Whenever it was quiet, out came the code and pencil. Ah those where the days ;)

McPoo likes this.
    • WLtheKid

WLtheKid Poptop Tamer

I didn't bother to read through the 42 pages of posts, so I'm not sure if this has already been mentioned. Have the developers tried using the fishing game at the Stardew Valley Fair to replicate the "return to title after loading save file" bug?

Like the PC version, the XBox One version of the fishing game also seems to be very bugged. This is where I was unable to save properly yesterday and now have this bug preventing me from loading my save file. Just saying, might be a fairly easy way to replicate the bug if they still have been unable to do so.

Typhoon likes this.
      • Ibarker3

Ibarker3 Seal Broken

Can you please elaborate on this fishing bug? I've never ran into a problem with the fishing game.

• tccoxon

tccoxon Procedurally Generated Programmer

Thanks for the emails everyone! The first save files arrived on Friday. After investigating over the weekend, we finally understand why these saves are failing to load.

The XB1 load failure bug was introduced in some threading-related code we had to add for the console release. Each time the game saves, there's a slim chance that a small portion of data will be written incorrectly to storage. This doesn't affect the in-memory copy of the game, only the on-disk storage of the save file, so you won't notice it until you reload.

We're fixing it in the next patch, and once the patch is installed, no further save files will become corrupted. As for files that are already corrupted, we're writing some code to repair them. We don't yet have all the save files for all the gamertags that have been sent to us, but we're going to make sure the ones we have do load up. We haven't yet seen any save files that couldn't in theory be repaired.

We think that this bug is also responsible for:
          • Crashes when speaking to Gunther
          • Glitched objects, invisible objects
          • Crashes when harvesting certain crops
          • Crashes when visiting specific areas of the farm
          • ... and probably several other weird, XB1-specific bugs
          The repair code will solve some of these issues, but it's not guaranteed in all cases. New files created after you've installed the patch (and files that never had any of these issues) will not be affected by any of these issues.

We're working on the fix and the repair code right now. Testing and submission can take a bit of time too... So hold tight for now, and we'll give you more info on the timeline in a couple of days.

PS4 and Windows / Mac / Linux users are unaffected. This bug only affects XB1 users.

PS4 Pro users reporting issues with rest, shutdown and running other apps - we're still testing a few ideas to reproduce the issue on our devkit. In the meantime, Stardew Valley is not going to brick your console unless it was already broken.

• shb9579

shb9579 Space Hobo

• Ibarker3

Ibarker3 Seal Broken

Good news everyone!

• Elite49

Elite49 Subatomic Cosmonaut

• Typhoon

Typhoon Spaceman Spiff

@tccoxon - thanks for the update and the detail that you provided. The Xbox issue resolution sounds most promising.

WeatherKain and Albynoman like this.
              • Calinks

Calinks Poptop Tamer

Awesome news. I also appreciate an explanation as I was really curious about what the heck could be causing this issue and it would have bothered me to not know what it was. I am really happy that sending in our saves helped to find this issue, also explains why it was so hard to reproduce.

xPhasezoid and Albynoman like this.
                • Faux Pirate

Faux Pirate Space Hobo

Awesome! Thanks for the update! I really hope this also fixes the Mine rewards carryover issue as well. It would make sense that it would since if the save is writing some to storage then our other save files may be transitioning some of our unlocks over because of the latent storage.

• sniperkiki

sniperkiki Poptop Tamer

Walking over specific area causes crash
                    Console: XB1
                    Time of crash: 1-16-17 at 11:09AM (and many times over the last three days)
                    Issue: walking to my greenhouse seems to freeze and crash the game. I tried going around and up my barn to the greenhouse and it also froze. If I leave my barn and go one square left it freezes, too. Seems to be a whole section affected.
                    * I took a video of it since I can replicate it every time:
                    Attempted fixes: restart XB1 and I have deleted and reinstalled this morning to try to fix but no resolve. It started crashing on Fall 12 3rd Year - which was Thursday 1-12 or Friday for me.

• BIG SH0RTY

BIG SH0RTY Poptop Tamer

Thank you very much for the update! This sounds promising "As for files that are already corrupted, we're writing some code to repair them. We don't yet have all the save files for all the gamertags that have been sent to us, but we're going to make sure the ones we have do load up. We haven't yet seen any save files that couldn't in theory be repaired."

• Saturnalian

Saturnalian Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Yay! So happy to hear. Just to be clear - this patch will for sure repair both the looping that occurs when a player tries to load a specific save as well as the crash that occurs when a player tries to load all saves? I have the latter glitch which seems to be the less common one, so I just want to make sure.

Also, is there any way we can find out if our save has been accessed/used? Perhaps an email back to the person who sent it in just to confirm? It would be calming to know that your save is one on the list that is definitely going to be made sure to load before the patch comes out. ;) Might also help in the future if someone knew that their save was successfully loaded for you guys, but still doesn't work after patch. Or something. :p

Good job, Chucklefish!!

Enansal and Typhoon like this.
                        • WLtheKid

WLtheKid Poptop Tamer

I would but it would be much easier if you just google'd it :p

Also, save file issue seems to be fixed with the upcoming patch that tccoxon mentioned, so *fingers crossed* this will no longer be a game breaking bug! I would much rather restart a day than restart a game lol.

• WLtheKid

WLtheKid Poptop Tamer

When you say you haven't seen any files that couldn't in theory be repaired, you mean by the repair code in the next patch right? Or do you mean by way of sending in our gamertag info? I hope you mean the former. :confused:

• Ganluan

Ganluan Hey, You!

They can't directly change saves and then replace them in the cloud, so he must mean it would be repaired by the game itself when it tries to load it.

WLtheKid likes this.
                              • Trev9316

Trev9316 Tentacle Wrangler

I try everyday to play hoping it will work.

• Bousf

Bousf Aquatic Astronaut

Happy for Xbox One owners! Also happy because now you can properly focus on dealing with the issues on PS4 Pro, by far the WORST issue present at the moment. I have done some basic research on my own, you can find it all in the thread I started on the matter. Also, if anyone wants to further test what I have been monitoring to add up to its solidity you're more than welcome!

Keep up the hard work, Chucklefish!

Katzeus, Starcade03 and tccoxon like this.
                                  • UndyingXian

UndyingXian Seal Broken

Thank you for the update!!

• kylecis

kylecis Void-Bound Voyager

So, I guess my question to Chuckle fish is, should I stop playing the game on Xbox until this patch comes out? If my save gets botched, I don't want to hold out hope that it will be fixed "in theory." Just wondering if I should take a break for a while.

Thread Status:
                                      Not open for further replies.