WIP SunDrop Village (A Collaborative Effort)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Androxilogin, Jan 7, 2017.

1. TenkoKuugen

TenkoKuugen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Honestly a flat decrease / increase per stepping on the tile would be preferable
    I have to rest at the look tomorrow because I'm tired out of my mind

• TenkoKuugen

Okay, I am awake now
      I don't fully understand how you will use these new properties in conditionals, or conditionals at all, to be honest. Is it like a standard IF=true conditional check? This would need some more, uh, in-depth documentation.
      ALLFlag is like a bit switch, it's 1 or 0.
      We still need something persistent like Flag for an incremental counter however. Like ALLStoreValue
      ALLCombo is basically a situational conditional to do stuff like ALLCOMBO3 upon activation of a once a day thing in a small room
      ALLFlag MazeFinish true
      Action1 ALLDrop <etc>
      Action2 Message You can return tomorrow
      Action3 Warp 14 14 Farm
      And then have
      If ALLFlag MazeFinish=True
      Tile 67,68 TouchAction Warp 67 0 Maze to disable the entry point to the small room and teleport the player back to the start of the map

Flag by itself can be used to disable entry points (by setting a conditional TouchAction Message Not Again Today TouchAction Warp 14 14 Farm IF Flag = True)

Effect is the most useful here
      Counter has very limited application if it isn't persistent.
      Flag has somewhat limited application if it is a true/false check only
      Combo has great application throughout actually
      Drop has decent application but you need Counter to have a persistent variation for it
      ALLChance would work great if you can pair it with ALLCombo actually. Like making quicksand always drain stamina but only give a chance to be warped back to the beginning.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

I will see if I can make ALLCounter persistent, the real issue with making them persistent is that I have to store their value on the disk, rather then just hold it in memory., so I will need to either create per-save data, or somehow embed it into the savegame...

As to conditions, it is a custom system I made to make it easy for users to define "requirements" behind something, and for mods to then validate those requirements.
        The full documentation for the condition system can be found here: https://github.com/Entoarox/StardewMods/blob/master/Framework/ConditionDocumentation.md (Note, that doc only shows the shared conditions, not mod-specific ones)

Any action I whitelist to be usable with ALLChance would also automatically be whitelisted to be usable with ALLCombo

You would then set the properties like this:
        Code:
        Action: ALLCombo 2
        Action0: ALLEffect StaminaDrain:5
        Action1: ALLChance 50 ALLShift <start-x> <start-y>
        That essentially says "Apply ALLEffect StaminaDrain:5" always, but have a 50% chance for "ALLShift <start-x> <start-y>" to be applied.

• TenkoKuugen

A bunch of mods store mod-savedata in the mod folder on a per-save basis, just make it a text file that holds all the persistent counters and flags with their label (maze, mazefinish, mazegoal, etc to name examples) followed by their value. Of course that can be abused but if you wanna cheat the game has plenty options already.

I see, so ALLCombo can just lead into other ALL specific properties
          I'll check the condition documentation later.

One ALL property we could still use would be something that spawns monsters by ID and interval.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You mean as a generic property of the map? Cause checking for it as a tile property would be... well.... a big pain :p

And as to what properties it can lead into, any I whitelist, but ALL's own are easier to whitelist because I control them directly.

• TenkoKuugen

A tile property would allow for more precise control but if you split it into "tile can spawn enemies" and "map spawns enemies at a random tile that can spawn enemies, so many, of Y1, Y2, Y3, Y4 etc ID and at X interval" that should be doable, even if it is a pain.
              The interval thing is important to me because this would directly allow us to make permanently monster infested areas. Infested areas could serve as a nice way to farm monster materials. Of course, it's risky. Go too deep into these arena style areas and you'll suddenly have too many monsters for you to handle at your hands.

• Androxilogin

Androxilogin Giant Laser Beams

Yes, a typical outside map the size of the current town where users may place their custom buildings. I started one called "Rolling Hills" but I didn't like my style and eventually canned it. What is really needed are (aside from basically everything) asset tilesheets, NPCs and buildings (outside and inside). My initial thought for this project was to lessen the load for modders to focus on specific buildings rather than to rush through things myself. Also some ideas on what to call this new town then we can get a Discord channel in motion and really get things started.

• TenkoKuugen

How exactly are you picturing this "where users may place their custom buildings" part to work? All it takes is for two people to disagree on where they get to place their building and we suddenly have incompatible map versions. If you want to make a new town, you need to basically oversee the whole thing, assign who gets to place their houses where and so forth. Full dictator. With Ento offering up new ALL features, i am going to be using those to make an all-around extension somewhat similar to what tego did, just actually useful instead of aesthetic but mostly useless maps.
                  We hijacked your thread a bit for that, sorry about that. Generally, a wilderness maps cannot serve as a "base" for a place where you want to build a town. You design a town with buildings in mind, otherwise you can just make a giant green square and call it a day since you'll have to kill off trees and whatever anyway.

• Androxilogin

Basically a space where users will "claim" and edit as they please ie: place paths and sidewalks/buildings. The Discord channel will come in handy for others to get the latest updated overworld map and they may upload their changes. The collaborative idea was to release any "dictator" overtones; for users to work on what they want where they want. About hijacking the thread, feel free.

• TenkoKuugen

I just have absolutely zero confidence in such a free collab to work. I worked on many a mod project over the years and there is always drama or people drop out and then the issues start rolling in. Also, I am not sure what exactly you have in mind when you say "user", nor when you say "buildings". Are you implying the average player is supposed to map edit buildings in there? Because that is never going to happen.

Balduranne likes this.
                      • Androxilogin

Such negativity.. An overworld town where other modders can focus on a certain space. There has already been a good bit of interest, to instantly shoot the ideas down is not constructive. I'm not worried about people dropping out nor anything else. It's all possible and wouldn't hurt a thing, it's not like it's a paying job.. Progress will be made regardless. There's no deadline. "Users" as in fellow modders on the project. "Buildings" as in the structure. I don't understand the confusion.

• TenkoKuugen

You think it's negativity, I say it's realism. But that's okay, whatever pulls your sled. Getting a bunch of people together, planning what to do and then everyone does their part without deviation is what I would understand under a collab.
                          Luckily, ALL makes for easy compatibility between projects as long as we don't try to use the same warps and map exits.

• Androxilogin

You've described exactly as the "collaboration" idea was intended. Regarding ALL, I'm almost positive entry points would not be an issue since they would most likely be custom spaces, however, overrides may initially cause compatibility problems.

• TenkoKuugen

You will obviously have to get to the custom space via some kind of vanilla exit point and two ALL mods obviously cannot use the same ones.
                              I do an override for the secret woods, for example, and adjust the forest->woods warp for that. So of course you couldn't use the forest->woods warp to lead somewhere else in the woods without both coordinates clashing.

• Androxilogin

Oh, I'm well aware >> [My mod portfolio] :p. My entry point would not be in an already open space is what I'm saying here. It would be a space blocked by default and altered into a usable path which would require an override of a compatible vanilla map file if using ALL as the weapon of choice.

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

You could do it with a lot of tile-edits rather then replacing the whole map, but support is planned to perform a search in overrides to only replace tiles that are different from the map SDV provides, but only planned atm, as it is quite a big task (Especially if mods go and resize maps, that will really take a lot of work.

Androxilogin likes this.
                                  • Androxilogin

I've decided on a name for this new area.. It will be called SunDrop Village. For anyone interested in working on this project, I've set up an invite-only Discord channel. PM me here with some examples on what you'd like to contribute if you wish to participate in the development. I'm off to a slow start with this so bare with me.

• Farzaxis

Farzaxis Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I wouldn't mind helping out spriting assets if this is going anywhere.
                                      But i am not a big fan of discord.

• Androxilogin

That's fine, I just use Discord because I can load it through the broswer. After that I didn't mind it but the program itself was laggy. Nevertheless, ideas could be posted here or through PMs but attaching files have to be passed through a link somewhere else so that is kind of a hassle. But either way, would work really. lol.

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

This seems like a great - and ambitious - idea!
                                          I would love to participate and help in any way I can, although I have little knowledge with modding. Though I cannot code, I can edit maps and sprites, and I could always learn coding, if need be. Although I am not as free as I would like at the moment, in case you need more people in your team and you think I have something good to offer to the SunDrop Village project, count me in!
                                          Discord is all good for me, but if others have an issue with it maybe we should use Skype, or something else.