1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

How do you like ancient vaults?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by LilyV3, Jan 10, 2017.

1. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I must say they feel boring and unrewarding.
    This is caused by the fact that they simply don't scale. And this makes them boring at the later stages where you just rocketlaunch everythign to death.
    The bossfights, well it's in no way any challange and basically just the same thing over and over. It makes the entire ancient vaults a boring grind of repetitiveness.
    Lets not forget, these vaults require the story to be done to enter them, and at this point they are unbelievable easy with the equip you own until then.

The vaults need various difficulty stages we can choose form, where harder ones drop more stuff.
    They need more bosses with more randomised actions not following a boring patten that requires you just a set of like 4 jumps per sequence to avoid what they do.

Now thining about those subbiome terraformers, wow, getting the one you need will mean running through endless amounts of these vaults and pray to RNGSUS, which will end in repeating the same boring vault over and over again. Wouldnt make me wonder if most people jus spawn them via chatcommands, because that task is nothing exciting, it's going to be tideous.

Also, it was always said we can get all stuff ingame without having to do the story. Terraforming now is going to break that concept, as it does requires the story to be completed.

I have a few ideas coming up, need to make a thread about those in suggestions.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  2. Momopovich

Momopovich Pangalactic Porcupine

Well they are a better combat and platformer experience than anything else in the game so i enjoyed them more than i expected. I fully terraformed 4 planets before obtaining one that i really liked so i completed a bunch of vaults for the essence, and yes they tend to be repetitive and boring pretty fast (still a decent no brain activity with some good music when you are extremely tired). They could use more level variety, some new techs with new interactions would be great. Having to do the story is not really a problem when you already have end game stuff on multiple characters, you can go through the missions in minutes. Since those vaults are related to the cultivator story lore thing it makes sense.

3. neoranga311

neoranga311 Void-Bound Voyager

vaults are actualy a tier higher than volcano planets.

4. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes but they aren't filled more with mobs than the Ruin is, and their mobs are less dangerious than the hordes on the Ruin. And none of the mobs I met there so far are any threa,d mostly because their majority can't to anythin than some melee.
    Maybe CF alters the vaults and adds some unique mobs to them fitting the ancient theme better and posing somewhat more of a challange.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Actually, vaults are Tier 8, two full tiers higher than volcanic planets.