1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Game performance (Lags)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Cat_Fuzz, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Slavyanin

Slavyanin Orbital Explorer

Same question

2. Khandor

Khandor Void-Bound Voyager

I ran starbound directly from the file and the game runs just fine. Otherwise when running through steam the menu's and character creation are fine, but as soon as the game actually becomes playable everything goes into slow motion.

3. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

There is no longer a 1.2.1 RC2, it's now on stable as 1.2.1.

4. bluesaka111

bluesaka111 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Starbound does have performance issues with Steam, and the game performance drop like a rock if you have a lot of mods installed.
    Also, the game dont have any mechanism in place to prevent crashes when mods conflict happen.
    And the log file, although it does provide which mods conflicting or causing problem but it only provide that mods number ID (if you install that mod using steam workshop) which is hard to help players easily eliminate those conflicting mods.

So if you want a smooth experience, remove any mods you have, turn off multiplayer with steam and play it with steam offline mode.

5. Healthire

Healthire Can't Most Program the Least

Having steam multiplayer enabled should no longer cause performance issues as of 1.2.1.

6. djnacca

djnacca Space Hobo

I love this game, and basically I've played up to starting to get the second orb(played last week), but the framerate pausing issue is killing me/dumbing down the game. It doesn't seem to matter how many things are actually on the screen for me.

My specs are Core i7 930 (OC'd to 3.1ghz) Radeon 5970(I know it's old, support ended last year on it) Win 7 x64.

I can play many other games (that I meet the reqs for) and even Stardew Valley(lol, another one I love, but cmon its not that graphically advanced, no offense) with no hitch in the FPS.

I just started a brand new character on unstable vers and the first thing that stutters me is breaking open a pod. This same issue has paused monster movements making the game freeze for 2 seconds at a time holding their movements and allowing me to dumb kill them, meanwhile the game seems to catch up and sometimes I get hurt, but they also die at the same time. Odd..

Plz help, love ya'll.

7. bluesaka111

bluesaka111 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

so you did not experience the fps hitch when you pick up items and pixels from monster loots yet (stable version and it isn't rare at all).

Please do not play the unstable version. Go back to the stable one.

8. djnacca

djnacca Space Hobo

I received the fps hitch in both stable and unstable, I was just merely prodivind a symptom.

I have a base on the first world chooock full of stuff and I thought maybe that was part of it, but it doesn't seem to discriminate on # of items or characters or animals etc.

It happens in both regardless of what seems to be on screen, sorry if I mislead you.

9. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Stable and Unstable are exactly the same right now.

That is kinda an issue. Your system is old. Your CPU is on par with a low end i3 from 2 years ago.

Moot point. It has no relation here. How well other games perform doesn't mean much. Different games, different engines, different requirements.

All signs of a bottlenecked CPU. Starbound is CPU heavy, and your CPU is old.

10. Pheex

Pheex Void-Bound Voyager

mate, the official minimum sys requirements say it needs a core 2 duo to play and for the recommended specs (aka stable fps experience) an i3.

an i3

this game should run on a potato but I have a 4.2 ghz cpu 8 gigs of ram and a $400 gaming gpu and its <10 fps permanently on a fresh vanilla install and none of the supposed fixes do anything.

Not only do I get consistent terrible fps no matter how empty the planet, the game also lags in single player. as in, mobs rubberband, freeze, character freezes mid jump etc.

The game is unplayable for me and a lot of other people atm. (just look at the steam forums) and to just say they need a 5ghz modern cpu to fix it is just an ignorant insult.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2017
  11. lazarus78

Yeah... 4.2GHz from a 7 year old CPU... A modern i3 WALKS circles around your CPU.

All your issues are textbook CPU bottlenecking. Having played on a Core 2, I can safely say that yes, it plays... but that is where the good news ends.

12. Pheex

Pheex Void-Bound Voyager

Not really 7 year old no. Starbound uses 30% cpu performance of a single core tops even during the worst framerate's. Just because it plays fine for you doesn't mean it universally plays fine. Stop defending atrocious optimization. Just because the game is good doesn't mean we shouldn't point out legitimate issues we have with it.

Gotcha! and onel13hl like this.
  13. lazarus78

The i7 930 was released Q1 2010. It is now Q1 2017. So with some basic elementry school math, we can see it is indeed 7 years old.

Clearly you don't know much about computers. Just because it isn't using much of the CPU doesn't mean it isn't bottlenecking. There is a metric known as "efficiency" that you are failing to take into consideration.

- You have a 7 year old CPU. It is comparable to a low end, 4th generation i3. It is not very efficient, it is not very good by modern standards. Making the claim that it is 4.2GHz like that should mean something just further proves that you don't know much. Clock speeds are not comparable across CPU architectures. That comparable 4th gen i3 is an i3 4160 @3.6GHz. Lower clock speed, with comparable performance. Or you can go with the newer i3 6300T @3.3GHz.
    - You have a $400 videocard... from 2012... What you paid for it back then doesn't mean anything. I have a $200 card from 2 years ago that outpaces yours by more than 2-fold.
    - The only thing you have going for you is you have 8GB of RAM. Their clock speeds don't make a whole lot of a difference in this case.

Don't mistake facts for blind defense. I mean I could say the same for you and others like you, blaming lag on poor optimization all the time. And yeah, my experience is anecdotal, I have the benefit of 15 years of experience working with computers as well as actually working in IT where it is my job to know how well computers can perform. On top of that, I've played the game on at least 7 different system configurations over the past 2 years, so I have seen the game perform under different systems across different versions, so I am more than qualified to say that your system is bottlenecking.

The game is not perfect, and yeah, there can still be optimizations made, every program can be more optimized, but the cause of your lag is not a lack of optimization. Your symptoms are textbook CPU bottlenecking. Your CPU is not keeping up with the game , thus you get rubber banding and the other issues.

14. djnacca

djnacca Space Hobo

So does my computer fall UNDER the min reqs mr qualified?

Ps you sound hostile.

onel13hl likes this.
  15. lazarus78

Minimum requirements just mean the game will work, and for you, the game workstarts. It says nothing about how well it will perform.

And yes, I am being hostile, because you started off hostile just because you didn't like that I told you your computer sucks.

16. djnacca

djnacca Space Hobo

I think you are confusing me with someone else, nowhere in any of my comments left any vibe of hosility.

Excuse me, I have rational things to do.

Also, you have insulted my computer however the minimum reqs are well below what I have, so it still doesn't make sense even if my computer "sucks"(I disagree with this position, and if you actually used my computer you'd probably agree and just because it's old doesn't mean it's necessarily bad, mr hostile assumer) and is old.

17. djnacca

djnacca Space Hobo

So is there any way to turn down the settings so I can play lag free?

I'm assuming there is and they haven't been enabled. I turned down the res all the way and it made no difference, and I play at max zoom.

18. lazarus78

As somone who works with computers ranging from 20 year old systems to modern systems, Yeah, Im sure your computer runs like a dream.

Doesnt change the FACT that your issues are textbook CPU bottlenecking.

No, there isn't. There isn't really anything to "turn down". Try using minimum zoom instead of max. (4x)

19. Pheex

Pheex Void-Bound Voyager

Nice wall of text but I think you are mistaking me for someone else. I don't run a 930 and a 2010 gpu. Try a 7700K.

sure m8.

I've played this game since it's very first alpha release YEARS ago and it has been running flawless on every system setup I've had over time -including my current build- until a few weeks ago when it just stopped performing as it should within a few updates.

You assume and you jump to conclusions. Bad habits. Climb down from your throne of all knowingness, because you don't know anything about my pc setup, experience with the game or my experience with hard and software in general.

Lastly, if the game requires say, an i3 according to the system reqs, but only performs well with part of the i3 family -the most recent i3 with specific cpu architecture- and unspecified doesn't work as it should on other i3's in the same broad i3 family then that is literally the definition of not being optimized for common system setups.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2017
    onel13hl and LemonLeman like this.
  20. lazarus78

Sorry, I did mistake you for the other guy. My bad there.

I've played the game for years too, across several systems. The game was bear bones back then, the game is far more demanding now than it was way back then. So comparing past performance to current is moot. That said, outside of universal problems with the game, it still plays flawlessly for me.

Yeah I know some people are not so lucky and have actual performance issues on good systems, but that is not the case for that other guy.

Pheex likes this.