Modding Discussion No inventory size mods yet?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by DraikNova, Jan 3, 2017.

1. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

So, when 1.2 was announced, I was really excited to hear that inventory size was going to be moddable. I expected to finally be rid of the problem of having a full inventory and needing to mark a location on a planet that I hadn't fully explored yet with a flag to work around this. However, despite the fact that 1.2 has been out for a while, I still haven't seen any mods that increase inventory size. Does anyone know the reason there aren't any such mods yet?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Because no one has made any.

From what I can tell, we still can't alter the inventory space.

3. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

From the 1.2 notes about changes to the modding API:

Player inventory can now be configured in player.config, allowing changes to:
    • Number of bags
    • Inventory size of each bag
    • Number of action bars
    • Action bar size
    • NOTE: modifications to player inventory size need to be applied both server side and client side, and will invalidate existing characters unless manually versioned

4. lazarus78

I am aware of what the patch notes said. Doesnt change anything. We still can't alter inventory size, unless there is some config I can't find relating to the inventory menu. I tried adding slots and a new tab, but it didn't work.

5. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Huh. In that case I wonder what they meant with "inventory size of each bag".

6. lazarus78

Te settings are there in the player.config file, but it seems only the ones relating to the hot bar actually do anything. Unless I am mistaken and there is a config I didn't see before.

7. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Is it possible to add new buttons to the sidebar (the one with the matter manipulator upgrades)? If so, I think I have an idea for a good workaround mod.

8. lazarus78

Maybe. They are defined in a config. But I have no desire to test it.

9. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Code:
    "/interface.config"

This config controls the interface including the side buttons. However, the callbacks are handled on the C++ side of the engine, something we cannot modify. So... more buttons? Not likely.

The only way to alter the sidebar menus is through the Manipulator Menu. Because it uses a scripted callback, we can alter that. In this mod's case, the menu is expanded into an API for multiple new menus.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2017
    lazarus78 likes this.
  10. DraikNova

DraikNova Spaceman Spiff

Excellent. Thanks!

11. greenwiz29

greenwiz29 Void-Bound Voyager

I don't know about adding new tabs, but I successfully increased each tab from 40 spaces to 60, with no weird/overlapping graphics.
    I had to expand inventorybody.png and inventoryoverlay.png in \interface\inventory and mess with alpha values.
    In player.config, I had to change Size to 60 for each bag. Finally, in playerinventory.config in \interface\windowconfig, I added 40 to the y-value for most ui elements (except for the ones that are supposed to be at the bottom of the window, 'cuz it measures up from the bottom) so they would display in the proper location.

If I could figure out JSON patching, I would gladly upload it, but as of right now, it's all dirty edits for my own use.

12. lazarus78

THERE it is... I couldn't find that blasted file or any related settings so I could only conclude that inventory modifications were not possible yet.

Super duper simple.

http://chbrown.github.io/rfc6902/

Put the default config in the yellow box. (Strip out comments here) Then put your edited config in the green box. Then, the site will automagically generate the patch in the blue/purple section. Just copy/pasta that into your *.patch file. In your case, it will be playerinventory.config.patch

bk3k likes this.
  13. greenwiz29

greenwiz29 Void-Bound Voyager

Two (very) small problems with that: first, what about the modified images? Is JSON capable of that much, or would they need to be packed in with the patch(es)? Second (just me being lazy), like I said, these are all dirty edits so far, and I neglected to backup the originals. I don't feel like re-installing Starbound just to make a patch...

14. lazarus78

Images need to be included, yes. Just use the vanilla names so thy overweight nicely.