1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue (solved) Cant open mail? [minor spoilers]

Discussion in 'Support' started by ittybittykittybones, Dec 31, 2016.

1. ittybittykittybones

ittybittykittybones Aquatic Astronaut

i have a few mods installed on my game but i dont believe any of them could be the cause of my issue but if needed i can provide a list of mods that im using.
    it started on the 16th of fall in my first year. i went into the mines for some ore retrieval and left at about 10ish to go home. when i left the mines a cut-scene was triggered. i believe it was linus' 4 heart event (the one where he shows you how to make wild bait). so in the beginning of the scene you start walking to his tent, but my character stopped and stood there. i could not skip the scene nor progress it. i was just standing and staring at him from a distance. i could not open my inventory so i was unable to even exit the game. after some waiting i realized that time was still passing as the "zzz" appeared above my characters head. i decided to wait it out and pass out if that would fix things. i did faint and in the morning i went to check my mail too see how much money i lost. however, the game froze when i went to check and it would stop responding. it is currently the 18th of winter of year one and i have not been able to check my mail since. i use the stardewModdingAPI since it is necessary for me to use my mods. if anyone had some advice on how to fix this issue i would greatly appreciate it. if anymore info is needed i will gladly provide if possible.

• MysticTempest

MysticTempest Spaceman Spiff

I've seen a couple other people with this issue in a vanilla playthrough. Mostly it's them fainting in the mines, and coming across this bug. They usually just roll the day back with the old save file the game creates.

I haven't been able to recreate the issue on my end. So, I'm not sure if it'd work. But, in your savefile there's a section for the letters in your mailbox.
      It should look a little similar to this:

<mailbox>
      <string>RandomStuffHere</string>
      <string>RandomStuffHere</string>
      <string>passedOut 50</string>
      </mailbox>

The "<string>passedOut 50</string>" is what you can try deleting. Make sure you make a backup before editing it though. Or feel free to upload your save here, and I'll take a closer look. If it gives an error log, that'll help too.

• ittybittykittybones

ittybittykittybones Aquatic Astronaut

thank you so much!! im surprised it was such an easy fix. i appreciate the help so much i hope you have a wonderful 2017!!

• MysticTempest

Ah, no prob; I'm glad I could help! And, thanks; hope you have an amazing 2017 as well!! ^-^

• lewisdebu

lewisdebu Space Hobo

hey which save file did you refer to ?

• MysticTempest

Here's some info on finding your save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves
              When you find your affected saves. The save with the, "Name_123456" format is the one you need to look at.

If you need further help; feel free to zip up the affected save's folder along with a description of your own issue.
              As the OP was using mods that likely overwrote the mail file leaving out some letters; and yours will probably be different.