1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Notice CAN'T LAUNCH STARBOUND? Read this!

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Iris Blanche

Iris Blanche Pudding Paradox Forum Moderator

When having a problem with Starbound and the error can't be fixed by the steps provided here you can always create an own support topic with a detailed description about the issues you ran into. Providing the starbound.log file from the storage folder and your pc specs are helpful too. Especially the log is necessary to find out what's going on in the most cases. There are some cases where the log can't provide the needed information when it is caused by a software which hooks in as overlay or sth like plays.tv which seems to cause crashes without any information.

~ Iris ~

nekowolfboy112 likes this.
  2. leroy3021

leroy3021 Void-Bound Voyager

Ive got a problem when i try to go to a planet. i try to teleport to it and it brings me back to my ship and i dont know why it does that

3. Tejros

Tejros Void-Bound Voyager

4. koolkid293

koolkid293 Aquatic Astronaut

I get the OpenGL error yet for my PC my chip is compatible with 2.0 is there any way I can switch from OpenGL to Direct3D9/11?I have a Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family graphics card

Attached Files:

5. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Reinstall your graphics drivers.

6. emdavis197

emdavis197 Space Hobo

Hey all, i've had this issue on two different PCs and I've fixed it on both. This short video explains how. Like or comment if it helps.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Q3PPXEFas0

7. koolkid293

still did not work but
    thank you for your help

8. koolkid293

Please is there anyway I can change the game from opengl to direct3d9

9. lazarus78

No there isn'the. Little reason to anyway.

10. Lezz

Lezz Space Hobo

Hi!, not sure if i have to make a new post, or just post it here, so for now i'm goiung to leave a comment.
    First of, i loved the few hours i could play, great game. sadly, i can't seem to launch the game properly.
    Every time i try to launch it i got the bloody "Acces violation error", now, the 3 or 4 times that i could launch the game, i had to re-install (actually "repair" i do have it installed, even a newer version) the VC_redist in both versions (32 x86 and x64) now, that is not a propper solution; even with that, i can't launch the game with steam's client, i have to go to the game file folders and launch it manually.
    Just to add more to it, i re-install the game 3 times in order to be able to launch it.

now, the things i have done:
    - Launch it with compatibility mode (Win 7) and set it to launch as admin
    - Re-donwload the game (3 times)
    - Repair VC C++ thing (also 3 times)

what i still have to try:
    - Re install my nvidia drivers (i'm using an old june version that i know is stable)
    - Download VC C ++ from microsfot and install it from there (even tough i have a newer version)
    - smashing my head against the table (not sure how will it help)

i will go and try to do those things, but still i will leave a paste of my log (funny thing, i can't get anything after the "Application: main update loop..." line)
    http://pastebin.com/uurnMShu

and my specs:
    Win 10 Pro 64bit
    16Gb ram
    nvidia gtx 970
    I5 4670K @ 3.2 ghz

Sorry the crappy english, not my first language (and i'm in a rush) And many thanks to any response!

11. lazarus78

If the game launches fine from the exercise, then just make a shortcut on your desktop and you are good to go.

12. Lezz

Lezz Space Hobo

yes, it's what i did. Thanks!

just to leave a remark here, if someone else may encounter with the same problem, every time you launch the game from steam, a file named "steam_appid.txt" is created, this file may cause a problem with the game, even if you launch it directly, without steam, if you are having this problem, delete that file, and launch the game directly.

13. Faiz500

Faiz500 Space Spelunker

''IF YOU GUYS CANT LAUNCH STARBOUND JUST FOLLOW ME''
    READ IT CAREFULLY:
    1.Goto Starbound File (Just Right The Icon On Desktop And Open Folder)
    2.You Should See Steam_Api.dll And Steam_Api.dll1
    3.Move The Steam_Api.dll Anywhere (In Safe Place)
    4.Rename The Steam_Api.dll1 To Steam_Api.dll
    5.Test By Playing Starbound.exe (If Doesnt Worked Install Vcredist/2015 * If Worked Enjoy :) ) Have A Nice Day !!!

14. koolkid293

I have the file with a 64 at the end: steam_api64.dll

15. koolkid293

Fixed the opengl error just take out the SW after opengl32 to get opengl32.dll

16. kingheri1

kingheri1 Space Hobo

I can't play since official launching (in alpha, it was smooth), now everytime i launch starbound, it open but only crash back to windows after Chucklefish logo. Until now i can't play it. Even after i upgrade my PC.

My spec:
    - Win 10 Pro 64 bit
    - i3 6100
    - RAM 8 GB
    - Nvidia GTX 1050

I attach my starbound.log, can someone help me? I want to play it again.

Attached Files:

17. lazarus78

Json error. You have a mod with a bad config. Specifically /human/bunkerrobotfactory/bunkerrobotfactory.object

18. Faiz500

Faiz500 Space Spelunker

If You Have Steam_Api64.dll And Steam_Api64.dll1 (Just Like Me LOL) Just Do Like My Instruction
    Move The Steam_Api64.dll To Safe Place
    Rename the Steam_Api64.dll1 To Steam_Api64.dll (It Should Worked Correctly Cuz I Have Tested It )
    PEACE :)

19. kingheri1

kingheri1 Space Hobo

thanks for the answer, but nope, i never use mod since the first early access, so what i have to do?

20. lazarus78

Well you have something with a bad config, and it isn't the vanilla game, so if you say it isn't a mod, then you are SOL on this.

According to your log, you have assets being loaded:
    Code:
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\biomes'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\interface'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\leveling'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\monsters'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\objects'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\projectiles'
    [00:59:16.967] [Info] Root: Detected unnamed asset source at '..\assets\user'

$20 the bad config is in one of those folders. AKA, a mod. You shouldnt have folders like that there anyway, so delete them all.

kingheri1 likes this.