1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Bug/Issue Computer power failed. Character corrupt and unrecognizable by game. Any chance of recovery? :(

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by ErkGloom, Dec 22, 2016.

1. ErkGloom

ErkGloom Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I just had a power failure this morning because my stupid hydro company can't control how the power is rerouted efficiently. I hate winter. I just wasted like 3-4 hours of work because I tried to start a new character. Im just lucky I guess because I could've lost my old survival-difficulty character...

does anyone know how to convert a survival character into a casual one so that I dont have to worry about creating a new character again?

2. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Lucky for you there is a recovery:

Follow this path on your computer:

E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Starbound\storage\player (Or C if that is your drive)

You will see some files. .PLAYER and .BAK1 and maybe a .BAK2. This is super easy with 1 character. If you have multiple, this could be tricky finding the right one.

If you have one, delete the .PLAYER file, and rename the .BAK1 but ONLY REMOVE THE .BAK1 part at the end of the name. That will turn that into a .PLAYER file.

All progress you did before your last save is erased, but this should make your character work again.

A visual aid here to show you which part to remove.

[​IMG]

Charlatan likes this.
  3. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

There were tools like StarReader and Starcheat, which could do what you ask for, but AFAIK none of them are updated for 1.0+ yet.

While Hel already provided all the info.... I wonder why you lost your character....?
    In terms of difficulty, Survival or Casual, that makes no difference at all. I assume you meant Hardcore?

In that case you should use a "cheating" tool to change it, indeed. Playing hardcore, in every game, can just too easily get your character deleted when you made no mistake at all.
    Compared to Hardcore, It's better to play the normal mode, and manually delete the savegame if you *really* make a mistake and die.

4. Hel

Hel ✨ Johto's Finest ✨ Forum Moderator

Power failure.

This can sometimes corrupt player files sadly. Commonly cutting out while the Autosave is kicked in. Sometimes it just happens, and its good CF make localised backups incase of such event

5. Charlatan

Charlatan Parsec Taste Tester

Huh, Now I see.... My bad, I forgot, because It simply never happened for me, as I actually keep multiple backups of the entire Starbound folder, just to be sure.