RELEASED Old XNB Mod Updates for 1.11 (Requests Welcome)

Discussion in 'Mods' started by joyous.ariella, Dec 5, 2016.

1. joyous.ariella

joyous.ariella Space Penguin Leader

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    INTRODUCTIONS
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi y'all,

So I have mastered the art of the XNB unpack/repack :3

This thread is for any requests for XNB mod updates, and I will do my best to deliver.

As I complete things, I will edit this original post with links to the downloads. I will also link to the original mods and do my best to give credit to the original authors.

Enjoy!
    -Ariella

COMPLETED MOD UPDATES
    peudepeu's Bird Feeder Scarecrow Replacement
    Updated Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/773/?
    Original Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/484/?

Jinxiewinxie's Kitty Scarecrow Replacement
    Updated Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/764/?
    Original Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/191/?

Lechet's Animal Crossing Digspot Replacement
    Updated Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/765/?
    Original Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/18/?

Drogean's Better Artifact Digspots
    Updated Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/774/?
    Original Version: http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/87/?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PURPOSE OF THE THREAD
    So here's what prompted me to do this:

I know there are a lot of older mods out there that changed the Cursors.xnb file which are no longer working since the release of 1.1. This file contained a lot of sprites that were added in the new update, such as Shane's "passed out" sprite; the "sharper digits" on item stacks; the iridium stars on top-tier items; and certain menu buttons such as the chest color chooser.
    Example: anything that replaces the "worm" artifact digspot.

There are also mods which changed the Craftables.xnb file which are no longer working (due to the addition of chest color choice).
    Example: anything that changes the look of the scarecrows.

I started updating a lot of these mods for my personal enjoyment and figured I would share what I have done.

LIMITATIONS
    I DO NOT know how to code for the game yet, so I won't be able to update any mods that add code to the game. All I can accomplish at the moment are things which replace the standard sprites, not anything that adds additional resources.

You WILL NOT be able to use multiple mods that edit the same XNB files. For now, I will just be releasing each mod individually. In the future I may decide to make custom XNB files (this is what I do for my personal game but it is a lot of work).

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
      markz6197, curi0, Milkheart and 3 others like this.
    • benkc

benkc Space Spelunker

Cool, thanks!

But, using the updated Animal Crossing Digspot is giving me weird purple particles around light sources. Screenshot here: http://imgur.com/a/IgMmC
      I've verified that going back to the vanilla cursors.xnb fixes the purple stuff.

[​IMG]

• joyous.ariella

That's so odd. I must have copied too many pixels lol. Thanks for letting me know, I'll fix it ASAP! :)

I redid it (VERY carefully), repacked it. Still having the same issue. Not sure if it's the way I am saving the PNG in GIMP? Or if it's a problem with XNB Node? I will investigate further.

I figured out it's the way GIMP is exporting the file. I'm not sure how to fix this atm. I am working on a way to resolve it.

No it's not GIMP! It's XNB Node! Hopefully it's just a problem with the extraction and not the packing; if that's the case then I will be able to fix the stray pixels.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
          benkc likes this.
        • eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

Use XNBExtractor! It's better than xnb node because it doesn't mess with the pixels and you only have to click a button to pack and unpack.

curi0, joyous.ariella and benkc like this.
          • joyous.ariella

OMG WHY DID I NOT KNOW ABOUT THIS! I literally just spent an hour fixing the pixels by hand ;_; RIP ME

Anyway folks, I fixed the issue. Updated the file on Nexus (link in the OP).

EDIT: I downloaded XNBExtractor and tested it on the same file (Cursors.xnb), and the same issue happens. I'm pretty sure that XNBExtractor runs XNB Node, it's just more user friendly (no command prompt lol).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
            • foghorn

foghorn Pangalactic Porcupine

• eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

How did you test it out? Because testing it out with a contaminated file wont work. The fixing of the pixels still need to be done by hand, XNBExtractor wont do that for you. XNBExtractor uses xnb node yeah, but that version really won't frick up the pixels if you use a clean cursors.png to pack and unpack.

• joyous.ariella

• joyous.ariella

@eemie I'm positive Cursors.xnb was clean, I made a copy of everything in "Content" from v1.11 before I started messing around with XNB node. It hadn't been touched before I extracted it :/

eemie likes this.
                • Marcelo7

Marcelo7 Big Damn Hero

• joyous.ariella

• Marcelo7

Marcelo7 Big Damn Hero

1. farmhouse extended is a xnb mod
                  2. the MCM/EMCM problem is a conflict with the mod's xnb (because CA added coffee too and created a conflict)

• joyous.ariella

Alrighty then I will see what I can do! :)

EDIT: Looking at what's included in MCM/EMCM, it will take more work than editing the XNB because part of the mod includes SMAPI coding to add the new crops to Pierre's inventory. Since CA added coffee as a crop I am assuming I would have to change the item IDs in the mod, which I am not sure how to do properly. I may try and tackle this update in the future but as of now it is beyond my scope of expertise. I suggest asking Ento to add it to their list of abandoned mods :)

EDIT 2: Similarly, Farmhouse Extended utilizes unique coding and adds assets to the game. This is not something I am familiar with. All I can do is fix XNBs which replace standard sprites.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
                    • Marcelo7

Marcelo7 Big Damn Hero

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

What exactly is wrong with Farmhouse Extended? What I'm getting from the recent posts there is that it should already work with the current version of Stardew Valley and doesn't need an update.
                      Also, as far as I see, Farmhouse Extended does not utilize any unique coding (through .yaml text files or otherwise), but it does add a couple of its own custom tilesheets. If it does need updating, you would need to be familiar with .tbin files and map editing. Though it seems like the op is only looking to update tilesheet/sprite replacements.

• Marcelo7

Marcelo7 Big Damn Hero

really? but i saw some people posting about upgrades making it disappear, look @LadyEllesmere and @Silver_Eye112 for example, they are asking to fix it on the last page (how does your prepositions work? :cry:)

• joyous.ariella

Well there ya go, I don't even know wtf I'm talking about lol. I assumed .tbin was some game asset coding, similar to .yaml. I couldn't even figure out how to open it -___-

• benkc

benkc Space Spelunker

Thanks! Looks great now. :)

• Milkheart

Milkheart Void-Bound Voyager

I get red snowflakes from the updated Digspot! :)
                              That said, I'm thrilled for the update, because this whole time I couldn't see the 1.1 Iridium Stars on the high-end items, and it also made that button you click in a Junimo hut to send out the Junimo, disappear! so it was an invisible button. Didn't know it was the un-updated Cursors that was making my life so difficult! xD So I'll just make the snowfall invisible until the red snow gets fixed. c:

• Marcelo7

Marcelo7 Big Damn Hero

oh, i was talking about the posts saying that the basement and the attic are disappearing when you upgrade the farmhouse or add the cellar (maybe because of code changes or something like that also found 2 people in the last page asking for a fix)

Edit: .tbin is the editable part when you extract a .xnb map file with xnb.node, to edit it it you need tIDE, just click here for a walkthrough.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016