Winter forage

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by adeadorange, Dec 5, 2016.

1. adeadorange

adeadorange Yeah, You!

Not sure if anyone has done a giant winter forage with wild seeds but if you save them all for the second winter it pays off quite well in experience and money I sat on about 100 seeds the first year and i got a good decent farm for the 2nd year about 500 seeds planted that i used for foraging exp just a tip for new people trying to get the last bit of forage exp needed for level 10

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I generally stock up on winter forage seeds, especially in the later years since its like "well I got all these sprinklers setup that still work even in winter. May as well keep that space being used." so in winter I just go nuts on the foragables.

• adeadorange

adeadorange Yeah, You!

I watched alot of streamers complain about getting the foraging lvl 10 and they dont do anything in the winter season

• bobucles

bobucles Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Winter farming is a bit tough because only 2 out of 4 plants have any value and they're the only ones that can go in the seed maker.
          Crafting by hand means you automatically use 4 out of every 10 seeds you plant.(12 plants with talents)

So the value is there, it's just very difficult to take advantage of.

• Lil' Mini

Lil' Mini Phantasmal Quasar

Geeeezus ever heard of commas and/or full stops...? :rofl:

But the advice is quite handy nontheless, I've never thought about using winter seeds before. :proper:

• Skip Sandwich

Skip Sandwich Void-Bound Voyager

One of my Year 1 goals is always to upgrade my hoe as much as possible before the first winter, as well as unlocking the greenhouse and quarry.

You can actually dig up both snow yams and winter roots by tilling the quarry dirt, there are also two large tillable patches at the front and back of Robin's house. If you till everything you can get about 15-20ish roots per day (an an approximately equal number of yams), more then enough that you can keep a plot going all season using only the seed maker and power level foraging up to level 10. This has the side benefit of greatly increasing your profits as you can sell/jar/keg ALL of your crystal fruits.

You can also dig up winter roots in the mines, so if you come across one of those large rooms with the huge tillable area in the center, it can be worth it to go ahead and dig it up so you can get a head start on your Winter Seed production before the season begins.

• bobucles

Sandwich has some great advise. Most of my pre winter seeds came from digging the mines with the sword and hoe. It's a good way to crank up the seed production for winter.

• Jayfeather980

Jayfeather980 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I miscalculated and attempted a 4th winter crop once. As a result I discovered another interesting effect of winter forage crops. You can sacrifice them at the end of the season to make life easier on the first of spring. Unlike fall crops, any winter crops left in the ground after winter ends with result in dead crops. This acts as protection for your tilled soil and allows for the sprinklers to continue watering the dead crops, leaving your fields intact. All you have to do is cut the dead crops with you scythe and plant the new seeds in the watered soil.

I'm not sure if it is actually worth it once you crunch the numbers, but setting up spring is a pain in the butt and it might be tempting to skip the clearing, tilling and watering need at the start of spring.

• bobucles

Gotta be careful about that. The crop takes 7 days to grow so if you start on the 1st the crop is ready on the 8th, then the 15th, then the 22nd, then the 29th UH OH.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

Not really. The one that you can Seed Maker is the winter root. The Crystal Fruit is your big money maker, especially if you turn it into Wine. In fact, the Winter Root is actually one of the less valuable forages you can get, with only the Crocus being cheaper. The only trick here is that the root is also used for the Roots Platter which is a Loved gift for Penny. Of course, Penny also loves Poppies, which you can grow in bulk in Summer for her.

As far as profitability? Entirely worth your while to run your roots through the seed maker, because that way you don't waste valuable Crystal Fruit in the process.

• Skip Sandwich

Skip Sandwich Void-Bound Voyager

in Shneekey's earlier thread (see http://community.playstarbound.com/threads/winter-seeds-how-profitable-are-they.126614/ )
                        It was determined that Crystal fruit is SO much more profitable then the other possible winter foragables that by selling/kegging/jaring ALL of them and cycling all your winter roots into the seed maker you actually boost your overall profits by roughly +50% vs. crafting seed packets. However the calculations in that thread need to be re-run as they assume 4 harvests per season, when it's now clear you can only obtain 3 with the 7-day time-to-mature on wild seeds.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

What about using Deluxe Speed-Gro? I usually use that on the fourth round to squeeze one more harvest out of my forage crops each season.

• ShneekeyTheLost

ShneekeyTheLost Master Astronaut

I just use regular Speed-Gro personally. You only need to shave a single day off the growth, and I'd rather spend Pine Tar and Clams than Oak Resin which I need for barrels and Coral which is harder to come by.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I tried that once and my stuff didn't pop up in time and I lost the whole crop. Never again.
                              That being said, I just buy fertilizer so I'm not using the materials either way, might as well get the good stuff.