OOC It Sucks To Be Earth(Not open)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Rgbunpro, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

One thing I'd like to bring up is the way weapons are handled in the mod Thaumcraft (for Minecraft). I'm just saying this because the overall tone and backstory of the lore seems pretty similar. The main "weapons" were staves, wands, and scepters, with the former two having the ability to attach focusing orbs which would be used to cast spells, and the latter two acting as batteries for crafting and enchanting. (Not sure if this is at all helpful)
    *Is suddenly reminded of Vis from Thaumcraft*
    Why is this bringing Thaumcraft to mind so much?

Higuera and The Alonne like this.
  2. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Okay, I have some WIP art for my Mage. And yes, that's a dual-element staff.
    [​IMG]

3. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Update~! With tips from @Crossfang and several others, I have completed my art!
    [​IMG]

4. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

This sounds overly complicated and messy, especially when this whole change is coming because I didn't like the numbers system in the first place.

Actually, I quite like the idea of a quest to push someone beyond their normal limits. I think I'll implement that. This is why I like discussing changes with people.

I know absolutely nothing of thaumcraft, never messed with it as I've always been more fond of science over magic. In fact I find it a little sad that there isn't a science mod that's as in depth as everyone says thaumcraft is.

Okay so overall the impressions seem to be that I should keep the average low and do some special questy stuff to give folks that final push in their training. The better question is, should I only allow them to be able to max one stat or would 2-3 be better?

5. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

The ability to train and max SOME stats would be good, like Physicals, like crafting could be easier to train/max than luck or resistance, possibly a few skills locked behind others like Crafting requiring say 50/55 knowledge

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  6. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

I think that's a question you should answer yourself, rather than ask us. How powerful do you want your players to be? Seeing as maxing a stat means that character is better than anyone else at that one thing, maxing several of them would make that character a powerhouse. And yet, I can't remember and instance yet of a character increasing any of their stats. I'm sure that's either something none of us have encountered yet, or you're still working on. But the point of the matter is how much you wish to allow the characters develop stat-wise, and what several maxed stated characters could mean for the story.

Firebird Zoom and The Alonne like this.
  7. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Personally, I'd say that one stat could be maxed, with the rest of the stats being maxed around 40-50.

8. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

I think the choices should be up to you. I only ever use as a frame of reference as to how good one is.
    IMO, 40 as base investment cap, 50 as increase cap, 60 as single investment cap.

Higuera, Firebird Zoom and The Alonne like this.
  9. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Taking all this into consideration, I think I have a plan.

Higuera, MilkCalf, The Alonne and 2 others like this.
  10. Jareix Cryvix

"The GM is smiling...
    We're all doomed..."

Higuera, MilkCalf, The Alonne and 2 others like this.
  11. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

"Ready the weapons, the music is queued!"

12. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

I actually find this better some reason :V

Firebird Zoom and The Alonne like this.
  13. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Homeworld is good too.

Firebird Zoom and Higuera like this.
  14. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Ok fellas, I have updated the Original Post with bundles of now stuff. Feel free to read through that and let me know if you have any questions.

15. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Name: Riley Watt(heh)son
    Race: Cultist

Stats:
    Physical Strength: 15
    Learnedness: 30
    Speed: 30 (15 + 5)
    People Skills: 30 (20 + 5 - 5)
    Survival Skills: 15
    Physical Resistance: 25
    Mental Resistance: 30 (10 + 10)
    Fortune: 15
    Magick/Mutation: 30 (10 + 5 + 5)
    Weapons Proficiency: Staves, rods, staffs ( Magick )
    Melee: 15
    Ranged: 15
    Stealth: 25 (5 + 5 + 5)
    [​IMG]

Traits
    : (You may choose up to ten traits, but they must balance each other)
    Positive: Smart, dexterous (better pickpocketing), silk tongue, mentally tough
    Neutral: Wisecrack, kind
    Negative: Thief, ineffective with anything but spells, physically weak
    Perks: *Magick Ninja, Second Wind, Pack Rat, Quick Learner (alert me if this one isn't allowed, thought this one up while making the application - Learns Magick/Gains mutations faster (( Balances out Second Wind, but takes a perk slot )) )
    Starting inventory: Element resistant robes, standard staff for casting spells, dagger, two pre-made sandwiches, a sleeping bag around the back of his waist, two raw packets of meat, one apple, medium-sized backpack with spare scrolls and previously-mentioned food.
    Magick elements: Light, Ice
    Starting Spells: Ice, Flash
    Added the 10 starting points to each stat.

16. Jareix Cryvix

I still think 60 is a bit high for a starting stat cap... if 10 is average, six times as good as someone right off the bat seems a bit excessive. (Granted, you can only max out two stats from the getgo, but still. I think there should be a way to set one stat as a proficiency that can go up to 50 rather than 40 like all of the rest, and level up from there.)

17. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

Agreed, Jariex, it would make leveling and training more worthwhile.

The Alonne, Higuera and Firebird Zoom like this.
  18. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

I've been thinking about that myself, I think I'm gonna need to edit some stuffs again.

Um, it's probably a bad sign that I'm totally confused by this, Imma try to pick it apart in my own logic. First, the stats are kinda weird, like for instance your mental resistance says it's 30 but then there's a (10 + 10) which would either make it 20 or, if I'm reading it right would make it 35 because of the initial bonus for cultists. Also I think you misunderstand the way the magick stat works, which I suppose is my fault for not explaining it thoroughly enough, but basically that stat is whatever your magick level is, so yours, including second wind, would be 2. I haven't even tried to count up what your actual stat number is because I found all the numbers rather confusing. I also think you misunderstand traits, which again is probably my fault, Traits add nothing to your stats they simply add more depth to your character. As far as perks go, I allowed 2 to start with, maybe I forgot to put that in idk, but that was the intention. I can add quick learner to the list of perks, but I wouldn't allow someone to have both quick learner and second wind, because then what would even be the point of having the counterbalance of taking longer to level up? As far as inventory goes, Most of it I'm okay with but I call into question Element resistant robes and spare scrolls. I understand that resistant does not mean proof, but I kinda feel like that's a bit powerful to start with as most cultists don't have that. And scrolls, what kind, do they have spells on them because that would be a no-no.

It's pretty clear I need to edit some more stuffs, so imma go do that.

The Alonne likes this.
  19. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Second wind would be to have him start at level 2, then Quick Learner to balance out the reduced efficiency of leveling magick. Also, all additions are the bonus from the 120 and the perks + traits. Since traits don't add stats, I can fix that. And scrolls are blank for practicing elements, and in case his current scrolls get destroyed and he has to recreate them. It's definitely not proof to the elements (the robes), just better cloth.

20. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Name: Riley Watt(heh)son
    Race: Cultist
    (To better explain the (+ ((number)) )s, those are there when the stat is increased by something then either added onto by a perk or reduced by a perk. )
    Stats:
    Physical Strength: 15
    Learnedness: 25
    Speed: 25
    People Skills: 25 (+20 - 5)
    Survival Skills: 15
    Physical Resistance: 25
    Mental Resistance: 30 (+15 + 5)
    Fortune: 15
    Magick: 1
    Weapons Proficiency: Staves, rods, staffs ( Magick )
    Melee: 15
    Ranged: 15
    Stealth: 25 (+10 + 5)
    [​IMG]

Traits
    : (You may choose up to ten traits, but they must balance each other)
    Positive: Smart, dexterous (better pickpocketing), silk tongue, mentally tough
    Neutral: Wisecrack, kind
    Negative: Thief, ineffective with anything but spells, physically weak
    Perks: *Magick Ninja, Pack Rat
    Starting inventory: Element resistant robes, standard staff for casting spells, dagger, two pre-made sandwiches, a sleeping bag around the back of his waist, two raw packets of meat, one apple, medium-sized backpack with spare scrolls and previously-mentioned food.
    Magick elements: Light, Ice
    Starting Spells: Ice, Flash
    Okay, fixed stats and removed trait bonuses. Anything else I'd need to fix, @Rgbunpro ?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016