OOC It Sucks To Be Earth(Not open)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Rgbunpro, Feb 17, 2016.

1. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Security guard delves too much into character development, unless I'm taking it the wrong way. As does heroic, everyone would basically start at a point where no one knows them. The other two are good though.

Obsessing over every detail also seems more like a character trait that a perk. I'll have to have a think about that one.

I'll have to have a look at your app again.

Firebird Zoom likes this.
  2. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

To refresh your memory, Charon is a giant snake with arms. Albino European viper to be exact. This comes with all of the benefits and problems of being a legless thing. (I was considering actually going fully armless, but decided against it.)

3. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

The fact that he's a snake would be his mutation, which I think is probably a trait.

Okay, I don't really wanna call this final, but I think it's close to where I want it to be. But I'm gonna toss it out here so you guys can have a look and tell me what you think.

@DustyScabbard @critsarecool @themushroomlord @Jareix Cryvix @Lokion123 @MilkCalf @HunterC1998 @Arra @The Alonne

WARNING: This is a bit long.

You have a total of 120 points to spend with a max of 60 on any given stat.

Stats
    Physical Strength: (Replaces Strength)
    Learnedness: (Replaces Intelligence)
    Speed: (Replaces Speed and Agility)
    People Skills: (Replaces Charisma and Persuasion)
    Survival Skills: (Replaces Crafting)
    Physical Resistance: (Replaces Endurance)
    Mental Resistance: (Replaces Fortitude)
    Fortune: (Replaces Luck)
    Magick/Mutation:
    Weapons Proficiency: (You may choose one as main and gain a bonus)
    Melee:
    Ranged:
    Stealth (Replaces Thievery)

Traits: (You may choose up to ten traits, but they must balance each other)
    Positive: (What are some good things about your character?)
    Neautral (What are some quirky things about your character?)
    Negative (What are some bad things about your character?)

Perks: (Choose 4 starting perks)

List of perks so far:
    Demolition: This character knows how to handle weapons of the more explosive variety
    Pack Rat: This character has slightly more in their starting Inventory
    Second Wind: This character starts with a mutation / Magick level of 2, but will take twice as long to reach level 3
    Expert Marksman: This character gains a bonus to ranged weapons
    Slicing and Bonking: This character gains a bonus to Melee weapons
    Huge!: This character gains a bonus in physical strength but loses points in speed.
    Big brained: This character gains a bonus in Learnedness, but loses points in physical strength
    Social Butterfly: This character gains a bonus in people skills, but loses points in stealth
    Ninja: This character gains points in stealth but loses points in People skills
    Track team: This character gains a bonus in speed, but loses points in Physical resistance
    Survivalist: This character gains a bonus in survival skills, but loses points in Fortune
    Enduring: This character gains a bonus in physical resistance but loses points in mental resistance
    Strong will: This character gains a bonus in mental resistance but loses points in physical resistance
    Oh lucky day!: This character gains a bonus in fortune, but loses points in survival skills
    Perky: This character gains an extra perk, but starts with no food.
    Mechanic: Starts with a worn-out vehicle and the ability to create and fix vehicles. Small bonus to strength, but small reduction to physical resistance due to working in smoke-filled environments. (As a trade-off, vehicles will not be able to access everywhere that you could on foot)
    Man's Best Friend: Start out with a loyal companion, but halves starting food and doubles food consumption as long as you have your companion.
    Living Library:You can remember all the knowledge you come across! Increased Increased knowledge(Learnedness) but decreased Physicals.

Leveling system for Mutation and Magick

Lvl 1: Basic mutation (All Mutants have this one)
    Lvl 2: You become more comfortable in your mutation, making it more effective
    Lvl 3: Blank
    Lvl 4: You gain decay a level of decay, making you less human
    Lvl 5: You Gain a second ability
    Lvl 6: Blank
    Lvl 7: Blank
    Lvl 8: You become more comfortable in your second ability, making more effective
    Lvl 9: Blank
    Lvl 10: You gain a level of decay, making you less human
    Lvl 11: You gain a third ability
    Lvl 12: Blank
    Lvl 13: Blank
    Lvl 14: You become More comfortable in your Third ability
    Lvl 15: Blank
    Lvl 16: You gain a level of decay, making you less human
    Lvl 17: You gain a Fourth ability
    Lvl 18: Blank
    Lvl 19: Blank
    Lvl 20: You become more comfortable in your fourth ability.

Lvl 1: Choose two starting elements (All Magick users start with this one)
    Lvl 2: You become more comfortable in your elements
    Lvl 3: Blank
    Lvl 4: Blank
    Lvl 5: Unlock Two more elements
    Lvl 6: Blank
    Lvl 7: Blank
    Lvl 8: You become more comfortable in your new elements
    Lvl 9: Blank
    Lvl 10: Blank
    Lvl 11: Unlock two more elements
    Lvl 12: Blank
    Lvl 13: Blank
    Lvl 14: You become More comfortable in your new elements
    Lvl 15: Blank
    Lvl 16: Blank
    Lvl 17: Unlock two more elements
    Lvl 18: Blank
    Lvl 19: Blank
    Lvl 20: You become more comfortable in your new elements

List of elements:
    Fire
    Ice
    Wind
    Earth
    Darkness
    Light
    Energy
    Ice

There may be some other mystery elements that need to be discovered.

4. Jareix Cryvix

So, how good is 60 in a stat? Or rather, what would be the stat for being perfectly average?

5. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Name: Riley Watt(heh)son
    Race: Cultist

Stats:
    Physical Strength: 5
    Learnedness: 20
    Speed: 20 (15 + 5)
    People Skills: 20 (20 + 5 - 5)
    Survival Skills: 5
    Physical Resistance: 15
    Mental Resistance: 20 (10 + 10)
    Fortune: 5
    Magick/Mutation: 20 (10 + 5 + 5)
    Weapons Proficiency: Staves, rods, staffs ( Magick )
    Melee: 5
    Ranged: 5
    Stealth: 15 (5 + 5 + 5)
    [​IMG]

Traits
    : (You may choose up to ten traits, but they must balance each other)
    Positive: Smart, dexterous (better pickpocketing), silk tongue, mentally tough
    Neutral: Wisecrack, kind
    Negative: Thief, ineffective with anything but spells, physically weak
    Perks: *Magick Ninja, Second Wind, Pack Rat, Quick Learner (alert me if this one isn't allowed, thought this one up while making the application - Learns Magick/Gains mutations faster (( Balances out Second Wind, but takes a perk slot )) )
    Starting inventory: Element resistant robes, standard staff for casting spells, dagger, two pre-made sandwiches, a sleeping bag around the back of his waist, two raw packets of meat, one apple, medium-sized backpack with spare scrolls and previously-mentioned food.
    Magick elements: Light, Ice
    Starting Spells: Ice, Flash

6. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

@Rgbunpro
    You forgot one thing, Backstory!

7. DustyScabbard

DustyScabbard Spaceman Spiff

Hey @Rgbunpro, something I noticed while looking at the perk list: The perk Perky seems pretty useless, seeing as it gives you another perk, but Perky just takes up a perk slot when you could just take a different perk instead of Perky and lose your food. Maybe I'm interpreting it incorrectly? Just thought it should be brought up.

8. themushroomlord

themushroomlord Pangalactic Porcupine

Just a suggestion with the elements thing, but would it be possible to at the start just have access to the basic elements but when you reach the second tier you can invest in another basic element or in an element that is a combination of two elements (i.e water+air= ice, fire+earth= magmatic, etc).
    Then at the third tier you could make investments from past tiers but also complex elements, light, shadow, order, chaos, etc.
    Then finally at the fourth tier you would be able to get more powerful versions of the complex elements you own (shadow < darkness, light < brilliance, chaos < anarchy, etc).

9. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Well 60 would now be the equivalent of what 20 was previously. As far as average I'm probably gonna raise it to 10 or 12.

You know I'm actually glad you did this, cause it brings up several holes in my current app that I need to fix. Like average stat per race and whatnot. I'd say hang on to this but it will most likely need to change.
    ALSO though, it brings up the point of magick "Weapons" like staves, I honestly hadn't thought of that as something you'd start with but what do you guys think about that?

I can add backstory if you really think I should.

It is kinda pointless isn't it? Unless I made it so that it was like a dummy perk so to speak. So basically, if perky is in your perk list, it nets you another perk so your perks you be like X, Y, Perky, Z, something like that.

That sounds awfully complicated and I've never even heard of half of those 'elements'

10. critsarecool

critsarecool The Waste of Time

I think it's fine with the elements as it is. Backstory could be an optional addition, not necessary but can provide some insight into the character themself. I think the a stave can augment magic strength by 1.5 times, and wands by two (or some other combination that is balanced), since staves, can be used as a weapon as well.

11. DustyScabbard

If you want balance for wands, why not make them more powerful, but they only increase magic strength with a certain element? Thus fire wands will increase fire spells, earth wands increase earth, etc. Makes it so that if someone wants to excel in a certain type of magic, they will be able to do so.

12. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

That would be a good idea. And perhaps, slightly less boosting all-purpose wands, and dual-element powerful staves/rods?

13. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Also, looking over what @Rgbunpro said, I think that all races could choose any stats to start out with, perhaps with a hardcap for bonuses to certain attributes per race - Example: Humans gain a boost to strength and survival skills, that can slightly extend over the initial softcap of 120, making it 130 (excluding perk bonuses/minuses). Cultists would have an extra boost to Magick and learndness, which can be distributed however the player sees fit. However, these must not make the stats go over 130, and they cannot be transferred over to other stats. Demons gain a bonus to strength and melee, not going over 130 like before. Succubi gain a bonus to people skills and fortune, and Warlocks gain a bonus to stealth and speed.
    Backstory should be optional, if someone would like to explain it through IC or leave it a mystery that should be allowed. I would imagine the Perky perk technically giving you two slots - You gain Perky, which is technically null besides taking your food away from starting inventory, then your normal 4th perk and a 5th. I like the current elemental system, and I would imagine learning new spells could also be achieved through the player roleplaying out testing spells and elements in the IC thread, though that would take time to achieve.

Edit: New art for my mage by the wonderful @Crossfang ! Thanks again, pal!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  14. Rgbunpro

Rgbunpro Cosmos Killer

Considering the amount of you guys who've wanted backstory included I think It's fair to make it an option.

See this here is a good idea. I like this idea. I'm probably gonna use this idea.

The potential for new legendary weapons is ringing in my brain.

I'll admit the bonuses you're pointing out do make sense for the races you mentioned. One thing I feel is important though is that no stat have a 0 to begin with. Therefore I'd like an average number that I can use that basically says "This is about how much your average person can do." Then they can build on that. Now if ya'll would prefer that I trade adding and subtracting some stats by default with being able to go over max (Like going to 130 instead of 120) with certain stats for certain races, I'm totally cool that. Personally I'd particularly like to hear the opinions of @DustyScabbard @critsarecool and @Jareix Cryvix on this one.

15. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

I would say an average would be 7-10, and perhaps the bonuses would count towards the default for each race.

16. Jareix Cryvix

I think for races perhaps it can be a percent change. (Mutants get 3/4 as good people skills, warlocks 5/4 learnedness, succubi 3/2 people skills, etc.) And if the max is 60, I think 20 sounds like a good "flat average" to go with.

Firebird Zoom and The Alonne like this.
  17. Higuera

Higuera Cosmic Narwhal

I think it should be roughly 15-25ish for average, and races probably similar stats?(Like how mutants have higher strength and agility but lower luck :V)

18. DustyScabbard

To set an average, you need to look at your max and how it relates to the abilities of others in the world. Say you have 60 points in Speed. How fast can they go compared to someone of 50 Speed, or 40, compared to 10 Speed (with 10 being the example norm in this situation)? Obviously the higher a stat is, the larger benefit you gain from it. So would a character with max Speed be the top of the their species prowess, or would they be beyond that? Considering that all races have the same cap, give or take some changes due to perks, I feel like the latter is more appropriate in description. And if that is true, I'd say place the average lower, rather than midway between the min and max. Players and characters can then have some sense of achievement if their stats do increase beyond the norm.

Another thing I just thought of, if 60 was a supernaturally good score, was that while a character can reach 60 points in a stat, they must actively do something to reach it, beyond just training or reading or etc. Some sort of special quest for the final push to overpoweredness, so to speak. Then again, who knows if anyone will reach that high to begin with?

19. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

I'd say that if they reach that high, it'd be through some special quest. Example: A human fights a demon king, and for this example let's say he wins. He absorbs the king's strength and adds it to his own, giving him superhuman strength - more than any other human could attain. Alas, this would be a very hard and dangerous process, with no telling whether they'll live or not.

20. Jareix Cryvix

I think if I were making a stat system like this, I'd still go with the fractions/decimal, and while the cap could be higher, I'd set the amount max to be set by a player to be lower. (Say, cap at 60, player can only set up to 40)