Fairy's

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Ignixioum, Oct 14, 2016.

?

Should this be looked at?

1. Yay!

2. Nay!

3. Let's discuss it more!?

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Ignixioum

Ignixioum Space Hobo

I've just completed my first playthrough and I realised something.
    The fairy that comes as night and grows certain crops in an area, that there isn't much about 'her?' than just that 1 single night you get 'her?' to come.
    So maybe a suggestion would be to rework her, maybe give a new storyline to go with 'her?' and possibly the ability to befriend 'her?'.
    Oh and the reason why I say 'her?' is because it looks like a little fairy girl, but you can't be too sure!

It's just a suggestion, but I'd like to see more around the fairies, not just the ones inside the community center, but possibly a whole new connection, it would give us more skills potentially.

anyways,
    Igni~

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Yes for more faerie lore, for sure. I've never had a visit from her myself, on either of the two saves I've played so far. :C But I love anything to do with the fae, so I'll add my +1 to this suggestion.

• Ignixioum

Ignixioum Space Hobo

I'm not sure about how to discuss it more, but like any person, you can always make up some lore about it!
        I'm a writer, so if I were asked to do something fancy I could potentially write some stuff up about the 'fae'
        I would need to research though, It would be hard to start off and let it flow without some knowledge.

But for the start it would mean adding more area's to the forest, possibly a whole new area and potential new area's to forage in, new monsters etc.

TheVVarren and Kaede Grimwater like this.
        • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

How about a 'Fairy Ring' of toadstools that sometimes appears in the Secret Woods? At night, small glowing lights would dance about in it. They might not be fireflies. An appropriate gift could bring a luck boost for the following day, or if angered (Don't bring cold iron tools with you!), your luck could turn sour for a bit.

Perhaps leaving a container of milk out at night would have a small chance to attract a crop fairy? Folklore about leaving a bowl of milk out for 'The Good People' is common. Then again, it might just make your cat happy.

The mythology of the Fair Folk is more complicated than just pixies and sprites. There's the Seelie and the Unseelie, the Trooping Fairie, and household Fairie. European folklore is ancient and in many cases stretches back to the old Celtic roots of their cultures.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
          • LuthienNightwolf

Now you're speaking my language. <3

MrToni300 and Kaede Grimwater like this.
            • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Esperanto?

• greenhorn player

greenhorn player Astral Cartographer

I love that fact someone else knows about cold forged iron. Expanding on gifts for the wee folk;Milk, honey and gold or currency. Oh and alcohol, according to folklore.

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Depending on the folklore, the Fair Folk have been known to get /very/ angry at the offer of mortal money (and their own enchanted gold tends to turn to dead leaves by the light of day). Milk, honey... and now that we've got mead in the game... all much better choices for gifts.

And I just thought of getting a special pair of boots from them, as a possible reward for a gift. The Leprechauns were always fairie cobblers, after all!

ChaosAzeroth and Kaede Grimwater like this.
                  • greenhorn player

greenhorn player Astral Cartographer

And the Seelie and Unseelie are basically terms for beneficial vs
                    Lol, that is a cool idea. Boots of the Fey. With a luck bonus along with defence and immunity.

ChaosAzeroth and Kaede Grimwater like this.
                    • LuthienNightwolf

Screw the boots, I want wings. >u<

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Drink a Red Bull.

MacWhinny likes this.
                        • LuthienNightwolf

I actually used to drink that stuff quite a bit. It didn't give me wings but it sure made my heart flutter a lot...had to stop drinking it. x.x'

MrToni300 likes this.
                          • Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

I would take this issue to modding! There are a lot of creative people over there who would probably want to help with this! (I unfortunately can't use SMAPI, which is what you would need for this, so I can't help) It's a really good idea though! I felt something was missing in that whole side of the story. Perhaps it becomes clearer if you befriend the wizard, but I don't think so. The witch is also something that I felt wasn't really addressed in the game that could be related to that. Same with the teleportation stones and mermaids.

Kaede Grimwater likes this.
                            • LuthienNightwolf

I would LOVE to know the story behind the mermaid pendents. Why are they used instead of the traditional wedding ring? What's the connection to them and the mariner that appears only on rainy days? I feel like there's a fabulous love story in there somewhere and I wanna know it! lol

• Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Once upon a time...

Well. All the best stories start that way, or so they say, but I venture to be contrarian and say it may well have been twice, or even thrice upon a time, as you please.

Pelican Town was young, then. Towns have their ages, just as mortals do, they stagger upright in their infancy and throw buildings down like toy blocks, and in their later years, learn some geometry and a smattering of good taste (if indeed they learn taste at all; not every town does.) and draw their streets and alley-ways with greater care and an eye towards a distant retirement. Mariners called there, and a few farmers who supplied goods to the mariners, and a sturdy shanty of a tavern that only leaned on windy days and supplied them both. I forget the tavern's name. There were flourishes in it.

Oh. And there was, of course, a lighthouse there. Not such a grand thing as the Pharos (If anyone in Pelican Town heard of such things, they prudently kept it to themselves except when the tavern leaned a bit and a round of drinks was finished perhaps too quickly.), but no shore-side bonfire of driftwood and smoky cockleshells, neither. Tall, it was, spindly and a touch on the malnourished side, and it grasped at the Lonely Stone with the insecurity of a child in a strange place.

Every lighthouse comes with a keeper. It's in the rules. I would never gainsay it. This keeper wasn't a bad man, nor, I venture, was he a particularly good one. His name was Switchcase, and he had some pretensions to literacy, and he could never stand mustard, not that that comes into this story much. Put a man with pretensions of literacy in a lighthouse for all the day and all the night, and fill his head with cheap poetry and sonnets, and see how long it is before he sees a mermaid, I dare it of you. Switchcase was only human-- or so they have told me. Who am I to say?

There is, however, a difference between a man who dreams of mermaids, and a man who sees them, all seal-frolic and splash, in the foam of the early dawn. Even a man who disdains mustard may see mermaids. Switchcase saw them, and he told everyone of it, and the farmers, and the mariners who bought the farmer's goods, and the tavern-keeper who supplied them both, they tapped at the sides of their heads and winked knowingly, and had a funny quirk to the corners of their mouths. Wry, you would have called it. Would you have called it wry? Perhaps not.

But in any case, Switchcase paid them no mind, and he went right on seeing mermaids, as if to spite them. And that's how things might have remained for all of this tale, had he not, one blustery eve when the wind blew breakers onto the beach, heard a sobbing outside of the lighthouse. No ships were at harbour; and there was no one who was likely to be out on such a night as that, so Switchcase clambered down from the lighthouse tower and out onto the rock, which was, if anything, far less lonely than even the name implies. For there was a woman upon it. Describe her? Ah. She had eyes, of that I'm sure, and a nose seems a likely thing. Fingers. Of course, she had fingers. Why wouldn't she?

Fins. Well. I'd be a poor host to not mention that. From the waist down, fins, as you probably guessed, even before I'd gotten to that part, because I went and mentioned mermaids so many times, of course you'd guess that. Damn me for a poor storyteller, then. Next time. Yes, she was of the merfolk. I'm not sure she was as pretty as a picture. Comely, perhaps-- not unpleasant-- I'm told her smile was nice enough. But to a man like Switchcase, well, she was quite satisfactory indeed. She had hurt herself, the storm had used her cruelly and made even a knob of rock like the Lonely Stone a welcome harbour. All through the night, Switchcase kept her company, and brought her biscuits, and told her snatches of poetry he half-remembered and half-forgot, and by the sunrise, and the storm fading, she was safe enough. She gave Switchcase another nice-enough smile, and more importantly, her name-- yes, I'm getting to that-- which was Parfait.

What. Parfait isn't a good enough mermaid name for you? You wanted a grand princess name, all flounces and with a glint at the end? Who's telling this, you, or I? Parfait was her name. May we proceed?

She visited him often enough thereafter. And though Switchcase spoke less of mermaids, the townsfolk noticed that his own mouth had a funny quirk. They said it was wry.

Seasons passed. They do, unless you stop them, and why would you try? The Summer turned to Autumn, and the Autumn a mild Winter, and the Winter, eventually bored, wandered into Spring. And after a bit the Spring decided that Summer might be worth a shot. Switchcase and Parfait saw each other almost every night, her swimming to the edge of Lonely Stone, him, on nights when the weather seemed cooperative to a not-too-attentive-to-his-duties lighthouse keeper, rowed to the beach. He read her poetry-- he read better than he remembered-- and she sang in a Lorelei voice about whales. All mermaid songs are about whales. They are rather single-minded in their musical tastes.

It would not last, of course. When a not-too-attentive-to-his-duties lighthouse keeper who also disdains mustard goes about with a half-smile playing on his lips for the better part of a year, people suspect him of smuggling rum or planning to foreclose an orphanage, or something unsavory. Someone spoke to someone in the tavern about it, and someone else took it up as a suspicion, and a third thought, perhaps, that Switchcase had never /quite/ looked right to begin with, and hadn't they ought to Do Something About It. Farmers and mariners have a great deal more free time and less common sense than you might suppose.

It would be less than fair to call it a mob. Five farmers and three mariners is really more of a rabble, and in any event there was only one pitchfork and no torches among the lot of them. But someone did remember to bring a rope, though for years afterwards he could never really explain why. When they got to the beach, there was Switchcase, and there was a mermaid, and no-one had a wry mouth. Some of the farmers wondered, a bit too loudly, if a mermaid was a thing you could sell, and the mariners maintained that it tasted best when jerked over slow coals, and neither of these options were really anything that our two protagonists thought was genuinely helpful to the discussion. Parfait, tears in her eyes (For I told you I was sure she had eyes.) gave Switchcase the Pendant around her neck and dove back into the sea.

Need I say he never saw her again? Very well. I will say it, 'Switchcase never saw her again.' Once word got out, there was never a scrap of the beach that hadn't someone with a telescope and a net, waiting for the least sign of a mermaid, hoping to pounce. I am reliably told that three ship's figureheads were netted in just the first year alone. Mariners, in time, stopped their regular routes to Pelican Town, and by then no-one really cared that the lighthouse, little needed, fell into ruin. It was no more than a few years before the Lonely Stone showed no signs of even its foundations.

But Switchcase, you ask? (We will, for the sake of my ego, pretend you asked.) Without a lighthouse to tend, he build himself a shack of driftwood to the East side of the beach, and spent his long nights waiting at the shore, the Mermaid's Pendant in his hand. He read much poetry during the day, and took many a walk, alone, in the rain, remembering a long-ago storm and a chance meeting upon Lonely Stone. One day-- I think it was a Tuesday-- he left his shack in a storm, and was never seen again.

None of which, mind you, has anything to do with the custom of our giving Mermaid Pendants here in Pelican Town. The local chamber of commerce started that tradition after a councilman bought a jewelry supply warehouse.