1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Novakid villages on old worlds

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Bufftista, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Bufftista

Bufftista Big Damn Hero

Hello everyone. I was wondering something about the Novakid villages. Is it possible to find them in worlds that were created before the update that adds them (1.1.0)? Because I created my world (I think) before this update and I would like to know if it added these villages to some planets in this world or if in order to find them I have to create a new character and a new world. Thanks in advance.

2. ComatosePhoenix

ComatosePhoenix Phantasmal Quasar

I think they will appear. The planets aren't actually generated until you visit them so any new planets will have a chance.

3. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

Generation shouldn't change if it has already been loaded and rendered before. Otherwise its worth a shot.

4. Bufftista

Bufftista Big Damn Hero

Wait, really? Huh, I didn't know that. I genuinely thought that as soon as you created your character and your world you had all worlds generated at that moment. Anyway, thanks for your help, I'll try and visit new planets and attempt to find the villages while doing so.

5. Bufftista

Bufftista Big Damn Hero

Generation of what? The planets or the world itself?

6. PyreStarite

PyreStarite Space Kumquat

I don't know how the world generation works exactly so don't go quotin' me but to my logic a world's surface should start generatin' after you beam down for the first time. Planets that were loaded in your map but never actually beamed down to should use new generation.

7. Bufftista

Bufftista Big Damn Hero

Oh ok I get it. So far you're the second person to tell me that, which makes me feel confident that it might be true. Thanks for helping! I'll try and discover more potential planets and see if it works.

8. Shadow20218

Shadow20218 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

We are certain these are correct as we had a Novakid village appear in one of the worlds on an old character. So, your quest shall not be in vain. Though they are pretty rare as we have only found ONE out of the 30 or some odd planets we have explored.

9. Grubageddon

Grubageddon Title Not Found

Well shucks, I don't think them Novakid types put down roots so much; they just keep rollin' along like a big, ol' bouncy tumbleweed. So I reckon that makes a pretty good heap a' sense.

10. WallyBW93

WallyBW93 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I found two novakid villages with my new character. One in my starter galaxy and another in a temperate galaxy not far from my starter one. I can look for them again and give you coordinates if you want. I have Windows 10 64bit so it may not be the same for you if you have something different.

Bufftista likes this.
  11. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

I just wanted to point out that I don't know if there is a drive that has enough space to have all worlds created upon start. There are seriously that many worlds out there in universe. So obviously as others hinted the universe generates as you go. Kind of like minecraft in that sense, except in this case it is world to world or maybe even a section of worlds at a time. However a world will not be generated until you move your ship to that very planet, and then proceed to beam down to the surface.

So yes as you found out, all you have to do is go to another area of the universe to seek out the new places added. Something I am searching for, although my section of universe seems to have more floran, hylotl, and glitch... Guessing I might have to go even further out, but I know I will stumble upon them eventually. :nuruhappy:

12. Mooncalf99

Mooncalf99 Spaceman Spiff

Every planet that you've set foot on as any of your characters will be saved as a world file in your "Starbound/Storage/Universe" folder, and all changes you make to it will be saved there.

Every other planet exist only "in potenta" until you show up to observe it, kind of like Schroedinger's Cat. Also, when the universe is updated (when the game updates, or if you install a mod that alters the universe directly, such as Frackin Universe), the planets are "rerolled" for content.

In other words, if you've beamed down to Thanatos Ridge IV, then that planet will have and will always have the exact same content, down to every block, plant and chest, no matter how many times you update the game. If you haven't, it could have anything. Even if you've looked at it earlier in the cockpit scanner. If you haven't been there, it's not set in stone.

Oh, and you can "restart" a planet and undo any changes you've made there by erasing the relevant world file. Just make sure you erase the right one. Not actually recommended practice.

Tamorr likes this.