RELEASED Climates of Ferngill (Weather Mod) 1.3

Adds a weather system to the game

1. Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

Koihime Nakamura submitted a new mod:

Climates of Ferngill - Adds a weather system to the game

Read more about this mod...

heavenhell, TheRingisHot and wert700 like this.
    • Koihime Nakamura

• Koihime Nakamura

The last one will probably generally work but storms in spring will act unexpectedly. (essentially, only during year 1 and only if you allow it.)

This patches that issue.

• Megumin

Megumin Guest

umm, this mod makes storm every day?

• Koihime Nakamura

It really shouldn't. How many days have you ran and what season are you in?

ETA: Also, can you post your config.json or attach it?

• Megumin

Megumin Guest

just asked,
            my record was 3 days in one time

• Koihime Nakamura

Did it move on to something else on day 4? Because honestly, it is possible for that kind of run. It's randomly determined so you can get 10 in a row even with low odds.

That said, I'll check the randomizer and make sure it's mostly random. I might just need to convert that over.

• ryusm92

ryusm92 Void-Bound Voyager

So, this mod basically increases a chance of rain and storm? What does it exactly do?

Also, after the mod changes weather behavior, is that reflected on an in-game weather forecast?

• Koihime Nakamura

It does not increase the chance of rain or snow guaranteed. It creates a pattern of rain and snow around the year that may be less or more than the base chances. (If you look at your config.json, you'll see the configured chances)

The pattern is: spring is progressively drier, summer is fairly dry, fall is progressively wetter, it's going to snow all over winter. The general pattern is after Seattle's precipitation pattern. (Generally.)

This can be altered by adjusting the base and increase (I used excel to map it out) or by simply setting increase to 0 and base to your desired choice if you want a flat chance per day.

As for the in-game weather forecast,absent a few forced days, yes, it will be generally correct. I'm working on adding a patch to that and one that will set festival days (which is already set on day-of but this will allow the TV to see it.)

• Koihime Nakamura

After some tinkering, due to the weather events work, it might be difficult to actually make the TV 100% accurate. There a few days that are set by the game on a new day that the TV function doesn't know about. This is the cause of the TV being inaccurate at times. Likewise, the TV force sets a few days on it's end, which weather mods tend to override as it runs after any forecast can be gathered but before the new day functionality. I do check for that now, but I cannot guarantee that the forecast will be 100% accurate because of that.

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura updated Climates of Ferngill with a new update entry:

TV tweaks

Read the rest of this update entry...

• Koihime Nakamura

So, I've been working on an upcoming release (0.8.0) which will add in

- Temperature! (stepping stool to another feature), which generally won't mean too much unless it's really hot outside
                        - A climate system that would simplify the options a bit (you'd set it to 'monsoon', 'wet', 'normal','dry','arid' - with the caveat that monsoon and arid would potentially block events)
                        - Harsh weather events (optional) such as heatwaves, frost snaps and blizzards
                        - Storms might inflict a penalty, the longer you're out. (optional)

And further down (1.0.0):
                        - Flash flooding
                        - A more varied TV forecaster broadcast

These at the moment are still in progress but I'm working on ways to add them in now.

atm: no eta, sorry.

wert700 and foghorn like this.
                        • GaxxD

GaxxD Void-Bound Voyager

I know we can edit it ourselves, but I think you should change default values of storm chance. Most common season for storm is summer and then spring (moisture and rapidly rising warm air are the main reasons for storm occurrence), meanwhile there's almost no chance for storm to happen during summer, and fall is the storms season in the settings you provided. Kinda unrealistic.

• Koihime Nakamura

Not really. It's based off of Seattle, which doesn't have a lot of storms in spring,and does in fall. (And has almost nothing for anything but sunny days in the summer.)

Thaat said, I am thinking about changing default values in an upcoming release. I just want to write out the patterns so I have a reference.

• Koihime Nakamura

This took way longer than intended:

https://github.com/JohnsonNicholas/climate-of-ferngill/releases/tag/0.7.29-beta2

This is a beta release of the mod. This may have some issues, and yes, I am asking people to test it out.

Main things:

1. If you change the options, tell me if you report anything odd. Also, bear in mind that it's still randomized.

2. If you get an issue with the TV mismatching, tell me what it reported and what you got, as well as the day.

If this goes well, the next beta will just add a few missing features in that I didn't get to because I wanted to release something somewhat functional.

Thanks to Pathoschild for spotting an error I couldn't that was blocking the release.

EDIT: README here for FAQ: https://github.com/JohnsonNicholas/climate-of-ferngill/blob/master/README.md

Readme slightly out of date, will be updated once it hits .8

• Koihime Nakamura

• Koihime Nakamura

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

The generally would be the snow part ^_^ Although with climate change it is getting colder. I saw 'Seattle' and my ears perked up, since my first playthrough I kept getting thrown out because there was no rain, and I've been using the More Rain mod to try and approximate local weather instead. Of course, I don't want it too much like here because most of the crops will drown if it rains basically everyday from game October to game May. We'd have to invent drainage systems.

Read the blurb, I am absolutely testing this once I get through Year 1 of this playthrough (I did different stuff, I want to see that out first....)! So excited! I'll probably combine it with the More Crops, since I have family experience of crops for this area and high rain and floods and junk.....immersive nerdness, away!

• quirkyquark

quirkyquark Phantasmal Quasar

Thanks for the mod. Note that fahrenheit is spelled with an 'h' after 'fa'; the "temperature is ERROR" threw me until I saw the typo in your source :) . Perhaps you could add a feature to simply display both temperatures, e.g. "30 C (86 F)", in the weather forecast?

• TheTearer

TheTearer Phantasmal Quasar

Note: This is totally nitpicky feedback, not intended as a major criticism, it's a very minor note in my feedback on a great, fun mod!

Welp, tried it out for a year on 'Wet' and it's interesting. I like the upgraded weather station, and I haven't had any problems with the Rain Totems working when i've used them for fishing. But I wonder what setting is supposed to be for Seattle-type weather? Because I'm a multi-decade native, and I gottat say it's not even close. 'Monsoon' also seems a bit much to call our weather.....is it because I turned hazards off for the first year? We don't get that much. I'm going to try the monsoon next anyway to see, but I'd really love some way to turn up the number of rainy days (and some storms but not a crazy amount, I only got 1 the whole year, weird.....).

Again, I mostly like this mod, it's fun, just that the first thing that caught my attention was my home city's name, and occasionally my brain gets distracted going "Where's all the rain....?" Darn it, now I'm tempted to make a sparkly vampire skin just to mess with people......