RELEASED [SMAPI] Lookup Anything

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Pathoschild, Aug 22, 2016.

1. Ladysarajane

Ladysarajane Existential Complex

I am having trouble with looking up casks. I keep getting the Uh,oh something went wrong. I had cheese and beer in the casks.

Attached Files:

• Katzvielle

Katzvielle Scruffy Nerf-Herder

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Looks like the new update notifier couldn't check for updates. Either you weren't connected to the internet or a firewall or something is blocking it. Not really an issue since it doesn't really affect anything in-game.

• Kashii49829

Kashii49829 Void-Bound Voyager

Heyo! I'm not sure if this is something that can be done. I see someone already asked about putting NPC descriptions in the calendar, so I have a suggestion for something...

You know the Junimo bundles screen both in the community center and your menu? Getting something akin to a hint or outright saying where someone could find each specific item that can be part of the bundle. Could help with completion. Not sure already if a working mod already has this.

• Davrial

Davrial Big Damn Hero

That sounds like something more suited to reading the wiki if you cant figure it out by yourself. The bundles are already organized into categories where it's obvious where and how you get the stuff, outside of the Noteboard (or whatever it was called), which is for really advanced stuff anyway.

TL;DR: The bundle's names tell you where to get the the stuff from with few exceptions. Read the wiki if you still need help.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Can you send me your save file? It might be something in your data, since I can't reproduce the issue.

The update-check errors are nothing to worry about like FieryChaos said. I'll make those less alarming in the next version.

That's a good idea for a mod, but a bit outside the scope for Lookup Anything. Although it's often described as an 'offline wiki' mod, it really isn't; its purpose is to show you the game's hidden data and mechanics. I have been thinking about approaching this from the other end, though. When you look up an item, it'd show you (a) whether you have incomplete bundles which need it, and (b) how many you shipped. What do you think?

brittpinkie and UDReese like this.
            • brittpinkie

brittpinkie Void-Bound Voyager

Not the OP, but I'm so here for this! I've been thinking I'd like to have something like that as part of the mod, but I keep forgetting to "request" it, hehe :D

Pathoschild likes this.
              • Jadzi

Jadzi Void-Bound Voyager

Had to drop by and say that while I'd never used this mod before 1.1 it's an amazing resource and invaluable tool for me now. Reminds me of WAILA and NEI in Minecraft. Awesome job! :D

Pathoschild likes this.
                • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I've been playing around with LookupAnything. One ingenious feature I'm enjoying at the moment is that I can hover it over my character, and see how various activities increase points towards different skills.

All was well until Farming 8, in Fall 1. Once I reached that point, the usual farming activities of planting and hoeing no longer added points to the skill. -Or at least seemed to, as displayed through the mod. It would appear to indicate that either certain activities no longer increase a given skill once you've reached a certain skill level, or that the mod for seem reason no longer relays that information to the user. (On the other hand, harvesting continued to add points to leveling farming.) I was wondering if anybody can confirm either.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
                  • clearbit

clearbit Master Chief

AFAIK, it was only harvesting all along. CMIIW.
                    http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Skills#Farming

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Not so. The wiki is about 95% accurate, and it's very general about skills because they typically haven't been observed closely while in use. I've been watching my current character gain level points while hoeing and watering on earlier levels. LookupAnything is great, in that respect (and others, too).

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

It's great to see the mod being used to uncover game mechanics. :)

I quickly looked through the game code, and these are the actions I found which increase your farming level:
                        • petting a farm animal: 5 XP;
                        • milking or shearing an animal: 5 XP;
                        • picking up a spawned non-forage object: 5 XP;
                        • harvesting a crop: round(16 × log(0.018 × base price + 1, e)) XP.

brittpinkie, Davrial and Borodin like this.
                        • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Early on, first level, try hoeing ground on your farm, and repeatedly check your character's farming level. I did this while my wife was watching (she's played a great deal as well, though she's only just begun using LookupAnything thanks to my enthusiastic pitch). She can corroborate that farming did rise while hoeing.

Another curiosity: check out the various levels alongside farming (or any other skill). It appears as though different activities contribute so-much to various levels above your character's, rather than just points to the next level. I don't know if the representation's accurate, but it certainly looks interesting. :)

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That doesn't happen for me with a fresh save; could it be another mod you installed? If Lookup Anything showed your XP increasing, it definitely was — it's reading the raw game data.

The representation is accurate, but a bit unconventional. Each bar segment represents your total progress towards that level. For example, let's say you have exactly 100 XP total — that's 100% of level 1, 26% towards level 2, 13% towards level 3, ..., and 0.67% towards level 10:
                            upload_2016-10-16_0-11-12.png

I thought it'd be interesting to show how the XP requirements increase over time — for example, level 5 is only 9.8% progress towards level 10, not 50% as a flat progress bar would suggest. I tried it out to see if people would notice, but you're the first one to comment on it. I guess most people just assumed it was a bug. ;)

Borodin likes this.
                            • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

I've got other mods installed, but none that (supposedly) affect skills. They're more in the way of easing make-work, such as AccessChestAnywhere, and SMAPIChestLabelSystem. I'll start up another character, this time without any other mods loaded, and report back.

I see. That threw me a bit. Perhaps you could put a short explanation in there...? Regardless, now that I know what it's meant to be, it makes a lot of sense.

I also greatly appreciate the way the mod tells you when the next harvest of a given crop will be, assuming time remains to harvest. Good job.

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

Lookup Anything is now experimentally available for Linux (and possibly Mac) users, thanks to vizv on GitHub. <3

This is unofficial, but it'll become an official release if everything works out. If you'd like to help test, here's how to install the mod on Linux and Mac:
                                1. Back up the StardewValley file in your game directory (it'll get overwritten to launch SMAPI instead).
                                2. Extract SMAPI for Linux/Mac into your game directory (right next to your Stardew Valley.exe file).
                                3. Extract Lookup Anything 1.5 for Linux/Mac into the mods subdirectory.
                                4. Run the game as usual to launch SMAPI.
                                Let me know how it goes. If everything works perfectly, mention that too! (Don't forget to mention what operating system and version you're using.)

Last edited: Oct 16, 2016
                                  foghorn and jodie like this.
                                • jodie

jodie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So far everything working perfectly for me and I am SUPER EXCITED about it. This is the one mod I've been wanting the most. Also, FYI. I am using the MacLeek SMAPI install (did not use the one above) on OS Sierra 10.12. Thank you, thank you, thank you! I will use more extensively later and report back if I have any problems.

Pathoschild likes this.
                                  • Faustian Echoes

Faustian Echoes Void-Bound Voyager

Don't normally do this but I endorsed on nexus and just wanted to say how essential this mod is lol. It basically takes the look shit up on wiki part out of the gameplay experience. Almost feels cheaty cus Im used to having to pause and look shit up and with that annoyance gone lot more actual playing being done. Good job OP, muy bueno.

Pathoschild likes this.
                                    • Faustian Echoes

Faustian Echoes Void-Bound Voyager

Oh, how come an item doesn't tell you if an item is used in a bundle or not? Is it possible to add bundle tracking to your mod?

• Pathoschild

Pathoschild Tiy's Beard

That's tentatively planned for the upcoming 1.6 release. :)

Jokerine, Borodin and Faustian Echoes like this.