1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED UniGen - Modular Universe Generation Overhaul 1.1

A more interesting universe

1. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Markelius submitted a new mod:

UniGen - Modular Universe Generation Overhaul - A more interesting universe

Read more about this mod...

2. bluesaka111

bluesaka111 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

cool mod. Is it compatible with Frackin Universe?

3. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

No idea, try it!

4. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

It's not

5. bluesaka111

List of sub mod that compatible (not fully tested yet):
    • Unigen asteroids overhauled
    • Unigen build on ancient gateways
    • Unigen rare systems
    • Unigen starclasses
    • Unigen system name
    With full mod install, my ship takes forever to travel and the same with teleport.

6. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

The game is just busy generating the world.

7. Luna Celestica

Luna Celestica Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Some elements of the navigation UI clip with the threat level and asteroid modules.

8. bluesaka111

idk, my ship fly for more than 5 mins and still... flying.
    maybe it only happen with my game since my PC have trouble to run this game.

9. lazarus78

Likely just weak hardware. The mod does a lot of changes to planets and systems, so there is more to process.

10. bluesaka111

idk if it true or not, but maybe I install too many mods :nurutease:
    anyway nice mod.

11. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Thanks, I'll put this on the mod page later. As for the delay, it's as the others said, with this mod there's a lot more systems to find and a lot more the game has to take into account when generating the universe. When I was building and testing this mod, without a universe folder, the game would take about 3-5 mins to initially generate the universe. After that though, it would be mostly smooth flying.

If it's taking longer than usual, it's probably just your hardware struggling to keep up. I know, not ideal, but there's not much I can do about it. You could probably play without the Rare Systems module if the delay is too bad.

I noticed this while testing. In the future I might create a module to resize the cockpit UI, but for now the issue is purely aesthetic and not game breaking, so it'll have to wait for later. :)

12. lazarus78

Did you by chance alter the universe_server.config to change the starting world requirements? Me thinks the delay is also caused by the game having a harder time finding a suitable starting world with the increased number of star types.

13. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

No, I didn't edit the starting world requirements. You're probably right about the delay. However, I don't really think there's much that can be done about this.

14. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

Yeah, I can vouch for your mod. I timed my universe gen a few times with/without your mod and/or FU.

Vanilla = ~3.4 minutes
    UniGen = ~3.9 minutes
    - - -
    FU = ~5.5 minutes
    FU/UniGen = ~5.4 minutes

I first thought the sole lower limit on planets would've affected the starter world reqs. But then I read you made tiered garden planets to counter that.

Good mod all in all man. This is going on my permanent modlist. :up:

15. tealsummernights

tealsummernights Void-Bound Voyager

This seems to be exactly what I've been looking for. Thank you so much for this! Please post the companion mods list when you get the chance. I can't wait to breathe new life into this universe.

16. Iroaseta

Iroaseta Guest

Awaiting for Steam Workshop release!

17. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I haven't tried it out yet but I definitely love what you're trying to do here.

In what way is it not compatible? Errors? FU star and planet types won't show up?

I'm aware that FU affects universe generation. The mod Truespace does as well, and the Truespace mod put out a compatibility patch for it and FU. But I don't know the specifics. As long as we're patching instead of replacing, it shouldn't be too bad - especially since Starbound supports patch batches(if that's the right term). And of course there is the question of adding or replacing in the patches.

For FU compatibility I'd have the first batch start with a test that checks for a FU specific path and terminates if it exists, otherwise it would be what you have now.

The second batch runs the opposite check - it terminates if no FU specific path found. This is the version with FU in mind.

Etc. Or you could run your check for vanilla values(particularly what you're replacing) as your test. So there are a few ways to do this. You'd also want to set the priority attribute in the metadata file so you can control load order. That's probably better than putting out separate compatibility patch mods anyhow.

18. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Nevermind that. I worked somehow on the second try

19. Markelius

Markelius Space Kumquat

Not a fan of how the steam workshop functions for Starbound, so I won't be uploading any of my mods there.

CrimsonGiraffe and Inf_Wolf14 like this.
  20. shadowd15

shadowd15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Seems like one of the pieces of this mod makes the game crash when you press the windows key to "tab out" of it. I'm only using two-- the rare star types one and the asteroid overhaul one. Without them, I can safely use the windows key to collapse the full-screen game to desktop. Just wanted to let you know.