Tool MultiBound - Starbound Profile Launcher a la MultiMC

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by zetaPRIME, Sep 14, 2016.

1. zetaPRIME

zetaPRIME Pangalactic Porcupine

035bd71f61[1].png

So I've been working on this for a few days now: a launcher that allows you to easily keep separate "profiles" with different mod loadouts, saves and what have you. So far it mostly just supports selecting workshop mods (by either specific inclusion or everything-but-a-blacklist) and raw directories, but I'm thinking of setting up a repository system where it can, say, auto-install a whole modpack without the pack maker needing to include everything within their own file.

No editing support within the app just yet, but the instance.config is just simple JSON, so it should be no trouble to modders or pack makers (who can then just distribute the packs to whoever!)

https://github.com/zetaPRIME/MultiBound
    Releases: https://github.com/zetaPRIME/MultiBound/releases

Last edited: Sep 17, 2016
  2. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

That sounds amazing, the game could really profit of a modloader with the mess that steam workshop is.

3. zetaPRIME

Alpha v0.01 released; you'll have to edit multibound.config, but once you've done that you should be good to go. (Making new instances is a bit of a manual process, but the examples included should make things decently clear)

https://github.com/zetaPRIME/MultiBound/releases

4. magi093

magi093 Aquatic Astronaut

now this, THIS i can get behind

5. zetaPRIME

MultiBound alpha v0.02 is out!

7dfc9958fc[1].png

- Fixed some (potential) path errors
    - Made referencing a workshop entry directly as an asset source *actually work*
    - Moved DLL clutter off into its own subfolder
    - Added a shiny new icon!

And the big one:

- You can now paste a Steam Workshop collection link right into the launcher and it'll generate you an instance to match! (Note that you still need to be subscribed to all the relevant mods to be able to load them) It'll even keep the link so that if the modlist changes, you can just refresh the instance to make it match up again.

https://github.com/zetaPRIME/MultiBound/releases
    EDIT: repointed to the main releases list - new version out!

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. LoPhatKao

LoPhatKao Space Kumquat

hey! i asked about steam collections on irc, didnt know you'd figure out a way to do it so quickly :D

7. zetaPRIME

8. fernworrier

fernworrier Giant Laser Beams

wow this is awsome!

9. williamcll

williamcll Subatomic Cosmonaut

Does this work with steam mods?

10. zetaPRIME

Eeeyup. In fact, the easiest way to use it is by just pasting in a Workshop collection link

11. Rossmallo

Rossmallo Big Damn Hero

Hell. Yes. I've been gagging for something like this for ages, as I have people who like to play multiplayer with me but don't like using mods.

EDIT: However, it doesn't seem to work for me. I tried changing the path in the config file but double clicking on the exe did nothing.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  12. windwalker13

windwalker13 Void-Bound Voyager

I am also having problems getting the program to run. tried both directing it to win64 and win32 and neither times worked.

13. zetaPRIME

...holy crepes, I didn't actually push a release with the error reporting present! (or actually allowing the field to scroll, for that matter)

Fixed that; Alpha v0.04 is (belatedly) out https://github.com/zetaPRIME/MultiBound/releases
    Probably won't fix whatever's going on by itself, but this version will at least tell you what's wrong <.<

14. windwalker13

windwalker13 Void-Bound Voyager

Good work on the update, Ir's now working for me.

15. DeDuck

DeDuck Space Spelunker

I'm new to the forums and new to computer stuff like this... Is this something that someone who doesn't know computers but can follow instructions could get set up?

16. zetaPRIME

If you're using Windows, certainly (not sure if anyone's managed to get a mac build working yet); just drop it in a folder and pop it open, and if it needs anything else it'll tell you. (To add a collection, just paste in the link, though note that you need to be subscribed to any relevant mods through steam in order for it to actually be able to find them)

17. DeDuck

DeDuck Space Spelunker

18. zetaPRIME

Yep, just drop the contents of the zip file into their own folder just about anywhere; and the collection link is just the URL of its page on Steam.

19. kageboushi

kageboushi Aquatic Astronaut

Great tool, but it seems that workshop mods won't work for me.
    I've tried launching the modpack example, and tried making my own, but it just doesn't seem to want to work.
    Everything other than that works great, though.

20. zetaPRIME

What exactly are you trying to do? If you're trying to use a collection as a modpack, keep in mind you *do* need to be subscribed to all the mods in question in order to actually have them downloaded...