1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

WIP Fizarian Race Mod

Discussion in 'Races' started by Zefnoly, Oct 5, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Zefnoly

Zefnoly Void-Bound Voyager

Hey! I'm new to modding so this will be my first mod for Starbound. But I'm used to advanced stuff as I have modded in stuff like my own characters in Facerig. But Any help would be appreciated of course;)

What is this race?
    I'm adding a race I started developing a few years ago. They are mammalian species with a reptile appearance on the shape. They have their unique 4 eye stalks out of lizard looking heads, and a tail they like to wave around. They are a peaceful curious race. And have rather a clean modern style.

Here is a fresh snapshot from some in-game testing. Gifs of them walking and doing stuff in posts bellow.
    [​IMG]

Another cute pic :3
    [​IMG]

They are more or less like a humanoid lizard race, but with 4 eye stalks and some special legs. Here is a 3D model of my persona along a female fizarian, which is the best way you can see how this race looks like.
    [​IMG]
    As you see they have slightly different heads that might not support most head-wear.

Fizarians
    Fizarians are a people of reptile like mammalians. They live on an earth sized moon orbiting a gas giant. Their planet is slightly outside the outer edge of the habitable zone around their blue main sequence star. But due to heavy tidal forces created by the gas giant their planet heats up to a point where it got 15 degrees as a generic temperature. The atmosphere consist of O2, CO2, Nitrogen. The planet has a molten core with a strong magnetic field, which is important for most biological life in the universe.

But life has not existed on this planet for more than a few 1000 years. A long time in the past, an ancient race went to earth and captured life of all kinds. Plants and animals of all kinds they could find. Then they experimented, created their own genetically modified versions by combining alien DNA and from the other different species they got. Then they located an uninhabited earth like planet. Zevila, the moon orbiting the gas giant. It was said, that the planet had an atmosphere of pure O2, little traces of CO2 and nitrogen when they first came. Life had never evolved on the planet before even that it got the full capabilities. There was also a large sea covering the planet. So it was a perfect breeding ground for their theorized project on creating sentient to evolve on a different planet. They released all of their successful genetically changed life. And made it spread around the planet. After short time of terraforming they left the planet with a very few traces.

One of the species they changed from earth. Was a few 1000 humans. They got drastically changed on their exterior, but kept their interior organs like they where before the change. This mutation included their heads to be lizard like, with their eyes sticking out on tendrils, with another pair of them to give an improved field of view. This process also gave them huge tails, with a little eccentric behavior. They act mostly like dog tails when it comes to emotions, means they wag when excited or happy, calm when sad, between their legs when afraid or threatened.
    Their feet extended so they stand on their toes, which mutated to be slightly bigger. And they now have 4 toes in total instead of 5. Their hands and torso kept the human specifications. The last change was most of their skin. They got a blue tint most around their body, while the belly regions, hands and feet kept the human color. Which means their whole skin is still human, besides some alien color patterns.
    Their brain functions did not change in this process besides how their eyes are handled. They got 4 human eyes in the tendrils. They are combined in an improved stereoscopic sight. You can compare it to when putting many few telescopes to work together on one target to make an improved picture. The eyes are located outside the body to give the brain more room in their rather different head design.
    Their muzzles share the shape of some lizard species. The teeth have changed form but still made of the same materials. Their tongues are also longer because their mouth is longer than the general human mouth. The Fizarians kept the human interior body so they still eat the same like omnivores.

Their civilization appeared a few 100 years after the ancients left their planet. Their knowledge of the ancients is more or less a few ruins and stories from the people that came before them. It is almost more like a religion in the current time. They never developed any scientifically suppressing religion. Since their religion is based on more advanced species and not gods. So even tho their civilization is slightly younger than the first human civilizations, their technological progression went faster than usual. But their planet where a harsh world. The orbit around the gas giant made the climate unstable. Storms where usual. And it was hard to develop. So this kept them back at the human progression.

Because of the planet being covered by mostly water, there was not land. A very few small continents is located there. And unity has been an important thing for a long time. The greatest war been on the planet ended before the Renaissance era. After this period trading was the most common action between the very few countries that appeared. When modern era came most countries faded away. Today there is only 3 official countries with borders that keeps fading. Corporations control almost everything, and a very few of them is left to exist. A huge economic warfare is going on, small companies keeps fading away or bought up by the bigger ones. And the space race was a fight the corporations had among each other. Which was colonizing the other moons orbiting the gas giant for the sake of materials.
    The Nordax corporation eventually won this race. By making the first efficient way to extract resources from the moons and get them back.

The style of their cities and appearance is clean sleek buildings. White, gray colors are the most common to be used. Their buildings are designed to be efficient so many of the taller skyscrapers got wind turbines collecting power from wind. But the designs of the shapes tend to be creative. Besides wind power the species has harvested the power of fusion. But they are afraid of loss of water in the future as this process consumes water to be processed into hydrogen. This again into helium. The population is growing strong because of their high reproductive activity. And cities are getting so cramped they build them taller and taller while expanding outside the land.

Now in recent space era they have attempted sending people out looking for new worlds. This was when they met the humans on earth and proved that they originated from earth. They joined the protectorate and sent people in for the opportunity of space travel and exploration. The future of the Fizarians counts on it.

Summary
    So this simply is a human like lizard race with a tail and 4 eye stalks. Their skin is human like and their belly colors will be some of the different human colors. Their blue tinted part will generic blue. They tend to be friendly and peaceful and acts like really curious. They are usually found as engineers.

Left to do
    • Finish up the body sprites - Just some minor fixes/improvements left.
    • Custom ship - Done, might do some improvements.
    • One or more journal codex explaining the race lore etc.
    • Custom death re-spawn animation
    • Tech screen sprites
    • Custom armor
    • Custom weapons
    • Custom Pet (In works)
    • Custom dialogues when talking to others/scanning items
    If most of that is done I might also try things in this list bellow
    • Custom furniture
    • Custom items
    • Make them usable in colony deeds with Fizarian furniture

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017
  2. AlbertoRota

AlbertoRota Scruffy Nerf-Herder

3. Jareix Cryvix

Jareix Cryvix The Waste of Time

Hmm... They remind me of the Venusians from Lovecraft's horror story disguised as pulp-sci-fi "The Walls of Eryx"... Neato. I'll keep an eye on this. If you need any help, let me know. I've always had a soft spot for the strange.

4. Zefnoly

Never heard of it xD. But thanks for your opinion. Well it is based on an idea I got in spore some years ago. But i'm working away from it. I used it more or less to make the first reference of them. The drawing I got there is far more accurate. I'm also working on a full 3D model for use in other things of them. But I just really want to use them in Starbound too so I have started modding it. I'm currently making the sprites. Doing that first. I will see if they at least look good when They are in the game. I can share some screenshots of what I have done with the sprites so far. They might be incompatible with standard pants and head wear. But standard shirts should not be an issue.

5. Zefnoly

I'm changing my mind about the legs being different in the game. They are similiar enough that it wont make much difference If I attempt making them different in the game in the low ress pixel style so they will stay vanilla. So they should be able to wear all vanilla clothes except most headwear

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  6. Zefnoly

Finally done with the body animations for both genders. Took me some time because my brain has been working slow today and distractions...ยจ

Male
    [​IMG]

Female
    [​IMG]

Now I can finally go and focus on the arms, head and the emotions. After that their script. When I can use the race in the game I will make the ship. And trust me, I think I got some nice ideas there. They will also be equipped with their own codexes. And a customized version of the human death respawn animation showing Fizarians getting assambled ;).

7. Jareix Cryvix

Recommendation, use the hylotl color palate when you turn it into a mod. That way, you can make sets of color for the underbelly and skin easily.

8. Zefnoly

Yeah have figured. But there wont be much different colors to change from. The belly which is human skin color based will have a different variations simil
    ar to that. The blue skin might just get different strengths on the blue color to choose from.

9. Zefnoly

Now I have finally been able to test the animations ingame. The human color palette fits well to how the lore colors for the specie are so gonna keep it with a few adjustments ;)
    Must say I impressed myself a little.
    Here is one holding a magnifying glass with his proud tail behind him:nuruflirt:
    [​IMG]

Male personalities
    [​IMG]

Female personalities
    [​IMG]

Also tested around with a few moves.
    Walking in general
    [​IMG]
    Swimming
    [​IMG]

Now I can finally focus on other things than their body xD! Cant wait to make their ship right now! That is my next step.

EDIT:
    Almost forgot. Emoticon showcase.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  10. Zefnoly

Some more pics from the intro with a female Fizarian.
    Sleeping, can see the cute little tail hit the floor:nurunaughty:
    [​IMG]

Walking around the lobby
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the bench with a hylotl, not the only race with more than 2 eyes anymore:nuruhappy:
    [​IMG]

11. Jareix Cryvix

Looks good so far!

Relten likes this.
  12. Phoonix

Phoonix Void-Bound Voyager

Incredible,lol
    First race to have an custom head so different!

13. Zefnoly

Thanks. Yeah. That is one of the things that is special about this race. Going to have a couple of craftable headwears for that. It might be possible a few stock headwears can be put on without looking to ugly, not sure. But when choosing this race that is something you need to take in mind. All the different custom armors will fit their heads of course. And all vanilla torso/leg wear should fit perfectly like on the other races. But without their special heads with their 4 eye tendrils and their lizardly muzzles they wouldn't be my race ;)

14. Zefnoly

Put up a more organized system on the main post. There you can also see goals I need to finish and when I might release the beta version of the mod.

15. Jareix Cryvix

For the record, same case with Sallok...

16. Zefnoly

A few more screenshots after solving some issues and refining of scripts/sprites
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Zefnoly

Some more progress on their ship design. I think this is the final design for now. Now I'm only missing making the smaller tiers of it :)
    [​IMG]
    I said the ship would get a clean/sleek design. Which is how the style of this race is. It's interior is designed accordingly to the amount of rooms/space inside the vanilla ships;)

Please give feedback on what you people think. Used a few days on this besides school and studying.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2016
  18. Jareix Cryvix

That's pretty neato looking. I like the design of it.

Zefnoly likes this.
  19. Zefnoly

The ship Tiers are done! Now I can start working on actually making them work ingame. And the custom locker and AI monitor.
    [​IMG]
    Any feedback?

Jareix Cryvix and AlbertoRota like this.
  20. Zefnoly

After a day of making lit textures and testing to see if all of them work like supposed to (mostly fixing the images right compared to the in-game grid, this was troublesome). I must say I'm happy with the result!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Jareix Cryvix and Relten like this.