1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Crafting Tree

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by meeperbeeper, Oct 6, 2016.

1. meeperbeeper

meeperbeeper Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey Everyone,

Just a little new around here and fairly new to Starbound itself. Either way, I found that as the game progressed, I was loosing track of what items built what. I know there's the wiki but when the items are two or three levels deep, it gets cumbersome. For instance, what raw materials does it take to build a fridge?

So I decided to fix it.

I'm not sure how well received this will be or if I'll even anger the Chucklefish overlords but I've created a system that allows you to enter an item and see what it takes to build it as well as what it can be used to build. Ever pick up some random block or item and wondered what you can do with it?

It's still a work in progress but let me know what you guys think.

https://www.meeper.ca/crafting_map.php

Meep

Crossfang likes this.
  2. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

That's quite an overreaction. It's an impressive and useful tool you've made, so I don't think you've anything to worry about in that regard.

3. meeperbeeper

I certainly hope so but in the IT world (where I am) and you hear about companies suing companies all the time, well... I just hope I don't piss anyone off.

Thanks. It's always nice to hear something's useful. :)

4. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

That's just a fan-made utility. You're not pissing anyone more than, say, creator of WoW skill calculator or writer of strategy guides.

Over all, nice work, but just a minor detail: tree starts looking screwy when you try to see an item with lots of recipes (try to see Coal's recipes to get an idea); if I were you, I'd increase minimal horisontal distance between items or made those "branches" foldable, so you can minimise branches that you don't need at the moment.

P.S. Also for some reason it lists all furniture as unprintable, even furniture that is actually printable.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  5. Mjollna

Mjollna Phantasmal Quasar

Wow really neat tool! Very useful to note which primary materials are useful storing in huge quantities for building, and to get internal names of objects very quickly.
    Thanks for sharing!

(If you can do that, I think the icons/thumbnails could be zoomed x2 or x4 easily for better viewing).

6. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

This could be a useful tool to help with crafting a lot of things, hopefully you can make it work offline as well.

7. meeperbeeper

Yea, if you cram the tree too full then weird things start to happen. I have to be careful about increasing the horizontal distance but the idea of expandable/collapsable nodes sounds like a good way to fix it. Perhaps have it stop at 2 levels or something. I'll have to play with it.

Well, all the data imported is from the game data directly, however, I've noticed that on some items some of the attributes are missing. I'll have to confirm but my guess is that the furniture is missing the attribute and my data converter just has the default value wrong.

I've actually played with this already and I've got a slightly larger problem. Some of the icons are actually merged together into a single file. I have to work on my convert to break these icons up first. Once that's done I'll be able to hard code a size value that is 2 or 4 times the current 16x16. I need to do this instead of using percentages because of CSS weirdness when it comes to content floating around the icon. TLDR: Already tried the simple route and it didn't work, need to figure out a better way. Still working on it.

Interesting idea. It's currently embedded in an existing app of mine that is doing some server side processing. Since this is mostly client side processing there is the possibility to extract the app in some way to make it portable. I'll have to give that some thought.

8. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Actually, default value of "printable" flag is "true". Other stuff I know is that default rarity is Common, default price is zero, and default description is, well, default description.
    Also, maybe it would be a good idea to include tenant tags.

9. meeperbeeper

Thanks for the confirmation. :) Since I'm not yet up to 3d printing in the game I didn't have any way to confirm the data.

I'll add it - thanks.

You wouldn't happen to know where that information is stored would you?

10. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

This is actually a really cool tool, I'm impressed by the amount of detail it gives to you. Certainly a lot better than rummaging through the wiki for that one item I need to craft.

I'm going on the wiki page for "Crafting" and added link to your crafting map on the wiki page ;)
    http://starbounder.org/Crafting

11. meeperbeeper

Wow! Talk about instant fame! Thanks!

12. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

In colonyTags section of object file. For example, Classic Desc (hylotlclassicdesk) has 4 tags: Hylotl, Hylotlvillage, Commerce and Storage (highlighted red in code below). Albeit only Hylotl (spawn Hylotl tenants), Commerce and Storage (need both to spawn merchant tenants) are used as of now, but oh well.

13. meeperbeeper

Got it, didn't know the "colonyTags" was the tenant tags you were referring to. Now the question is should I just dump those tags out or do some kind of translation to the tenants that are involved. The problem then is that it starts to duplicate the Tenant information I've found stored in the Wiki and I barely understand it at the moment.

I guess it comes down to what would you guys like to see?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  14. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Well, to be blunt, it already duplicates info found in wiki. But the main selling point of this app is that you don't need to navigate several pages just to see the recipes.
    About translation, dunno, they're already quite self-explanatory.
    And about how tags work, basically they determine which kind of tenant will move into the house with colony deed where you placed tagged furniture. For instance, placing Apex furniture will prompt an Apex to move in, placing Human furniture will make Human tenant; placing a Cooking furniture will make a Cook move in, placing Combat furniture (say, weapon chest) will make a Guard to take residence here, and et cetera. This allows for better control over who exactly is taking up space at your base.

15. meeperbeeper

Well yes, but as you said, it's easier to navigate. I'm just wondering where to draw the proverbial line in taking a crafting tree and having it try to display what someone would need to have for a specific tenant. They're two different use cases. This one is what do I need to have to make something vs what do I need to have to get a specific tenant. At some point in the future I could look at building something that lists items for what the different tenants would like and really duplicate the wiki. :)

All that said, I've just pushed an update to the app. Improvements include expand/collapse in the tree (Creates only), auto collapse at 6 items or more children, different line drawing style that's easier to follow, default rarity of common, default printable as true, and added colony tags.

16. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Uhh, you already included Colony Tags, that's all that really needed.