Network of Starbound Fanfiction Writers

Discussion in 'Hangout Threads' started by SB Fanfiction Network, Nov 20, 2015.

1. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Hey, I just uploaded the second chapter of my story! If anyone wants to take a look... :3

2. Sir Wilfrey

Sir Wilfrey Spaceman Spiff

The Squid and Lodish like this.
  3. The Alonne

The Alonne Ketchup Robot

Why is the thread so quiet?

4. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I kinda forgot about this thread :p
    I hadn't a lot of time to write recently :c

5. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Welcome to the cool kid group @RowanEx ! [​IMG]

Zebe likes this.
  6. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

eventually I will finish your story @Gilligan Lanley
    maybe someday
    I will not be a lazy useless piece of garbage
    and finish something

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  7. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Writing in a school bus is perhaps the worst idea I ever had. But hey, beggers can't be choosers, right?
    And I even managed to write an entire chapter!

~
    Welcome @RowanEx ! :party:

8. Lavranzo

Lavranzo Pangalactic Porcupine

Wooo! This is the revival we have all awaited! Welcome @RowanEx, your appearence heralds a new age of NSFW literature! *giggity*
    In all seriousness, I've missed this being active, so let's get it up and running in full gears again!

I'm still fiddling with the same novel I've had in my mind and hands for the last 6 months, and I'm still playing around with the setting: So, guys, what do you think of either:
    - a fantasy setting using the 17th century as a template for technology and geopolitics, retaining many of the high-fantasy aspects such as magic, a more mythical collection of fauna and flora, as well as races (though toned down a bit compared to some fantasy settings; humans are dominant, the other races do not differ much in physiology nor culture and do not live in complete seclusion) --> think of the Three Musketeers, except with a more essentialistic theme, and, of course, magic *cue exclamations of surprise over this totally new, never-before-thought-of-concept*

or

- a fantasy setting set in the 20th century along with the industrialization, following same fantasy principles as the one stated above, but focusing on slave trading and slave culture in a setting wherein, by using fantasy races, I do not offend anyone (as much as I might have done using a gritty real-life setting).

------
    Thoughts?

Gilligan Lanley, Zebe and Lodish like this.
  9. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

I'd say both. Clearly. But the second one seems even better :DD

Gilligan Lanley and Lavranzo like this.
  10. Lavranzo

I do however like the idea of bayonetted muskets being used side by side with swords and magic. It's a very tempting cocktail of dashing swordsmanship, shooting people, and burning them up in uncontrollable flames of Hell. The only thing the 20th century most definitely did better was fashion: as much as I like the colorful robes of the noble ladies, I equally hate the colorful hoses of the noble lords - though I suppose I could just correct some of that in my setting :p

Gilligan Lanley likes this.
  11. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

I haven't been too active recently. Things have gotten really busy irl :/

12. Gilligan Lanley

Gilligan Lanley Space Kumquat

Three Musketeers!? You've got my vote.

Lavranzo likes this.
  13. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

Sweet Lord,Thank you all!

Far from the forums, four men and a woman jumped in shock, learning how the Head Director had managed to enter a writing group. The first man abruptly remembered that he was in an another writing group and facepalmed. It seems like it had shocked all five.

"Well, that was surprising at least,'" the same man announced, adjusting his hat which had a faded symbol of Aperture Science. "Where's Alan?"
    PS: But really, thank you all.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  14. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Holy cow it's been a month and a half since my story's last chapter! I just finished the new one, is anyone available for proofreading? :eek:

Lavranzo likes this.
  15. Combozone

Combozone Existential Complex

In about 3 hours, yeah!

Lodish likes this.
  16. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

Yay :party:
    Don't mind if I send you the text right now? It's night time already, and I'm going to sleep in a little while.

Combozone likes this.
  17. RowanEx

RowanEx Pangalactic Porcupine

I don't have any for this group, but I am making a story on my FIMFiction; it's a pokemon/mlp crossover. Sorta. I need to get on this thing...

Lavranzo and Lodish like this.
  18. Lodish

Lodish Black Hole Surfer

DO IT! :viking:

19. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Sounds familiar...

Seriously, though, both ideas sound awesome. I'm personally leaning towards the first, though it might need something special to make it really stand out. With something like that, the key might lie in how society would build itself around the fantastical (magic, useful or dangerous flora / fauna, the interplay between the different races, etc.) and the mundane (widespread General Crisis-esque warfare, colonialism, advancements in art and science, etc.). Settings like Thief and Arcanum tend to do that very well, with at times literal conflict between magic / nature and technology / civilization. In Arcanum a wizard firing a gun will cause it to explode in his hands, while in Thief the two main religious factions embody each side both in terms of philosophy and aesthetic. Besides, I've been focusing a lot on the 18th century as inspiration for my current novel, and I'd love to see a setting reflecting the preceding century.

That said, the other is still absolutely doable. Being set in the 20th century is the main thing that interests me, since in reality slavery was very much a no-no by then. That's not to say slavery isn't doable, but it needs to be handled right. I'd suggest being very careful about how society handled slavery, and think about it from the outset. My novel started out as Thief (Victorian era meets Medieval era in a fantasy world) meets Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles (conflict between a downtrodden slave race and their decadent masters), but quickly found my own tone where slavery is more of an "out of sight, out of mind" affair and largely replaced by barely-better indentured servitude in developed areas. The brutality seen in Alien Chronicles didn't make sense in a Victorian era setting, and it shows in some of the early chapters. But at the same time, it all depends on what your interpretation of the setting is, so it may well be justified.

Jareix Cryvix and Lavranzo like this.
  20. Lavranzo

I'm always up for it!

After some consideration, I have found myself agreeing with you: I will most definitely set it in a 17th century-esque setting. Somehow I have managed not to think in the colonialism; the rest of your points, I very much agree with, and can add that I have included :) It is true, however, that it might have trouble standing out on its setting alone. Hopefully the plot, the language and the characters will make up for that ;)

Suddenly I feel really bad, having never played neither Thief nor Arcanum :cry:
    But now that you say it, I kinda recognize my thoughts in the Lupusad - Better take precautions so as not to undergo copyright infringement, haha.

Lodish likes this.