1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED Skittles Template Race Mod 3.0.4

Do you want to create your own race mod, but you don't know where to start? This is the mod for you!

1. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I understand, I too used to use gimp for sprite making. I am just merely stating that gimp is not the greatest to begin with if you are new to it.

I personally prefer using Piskel for my stuff, but of course, any software is the best software if it's usually what you are most comfortable with.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  2. Pryo

Pryo Void-Bound Voyager

well im not new to it :T but okey :)

3. Pryo

Pryo Void-Bound Voyager

Why Does it crash my game when i try to make a new char with it?

4. Antyrus

Antyrus Pangalactic Porcupine

This. I personally use gimp, but that's primarily because I've been working with it for a few years, so I've had plenty of time to learn how it works. It's what I would recommend, but again, there's definitely a learning curve. Once you do learn it, you can use it for all sorts of things other than pixel art; It's basically a free opensource photoshop.
    Thanks for that piskel link, it seems like it's an excellent tool for animating pixel art. I'll give it a proper look-see the next time I need to animate something.
    Aside from an image editing software, you're gonna need something like notepad++ to read and edit all the .object/species/etc. files. There's plenty of tutorials in the modding section, have a look there.
    Check your .log file. Always check your .log file.
    Your .log file is without question the single most important tool you have for fixing problems.

On Topic:

Also I second fixing the boosters problem, that was one of the things I ran into a problem with, fixed, and promptly forgot to report when I first started a while back.
    Nice job on everything here, I definitely would have had a much harder time than I would have if I had to sift through the base assets on my own. Your work is a godsend to new modders everywhere.

5. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I just realized how poorly worded my post was...Good lord....I really shouldn't type these when I'm half asleep.

I suppose the boosters are a problem.

6. DrPvtSkittles

DrPvtSkittles Master Astronaut

There is a missing booster issue?

Dang it I missed your message. I'll look into it right now.

7. DrPvtSkittles

The .bat file is in the new version of the template mod. In the main folder. Try a fresh copy of the template and use that bat file to rename everything.

8. DrPvtSkittles

Sorry I know this is late, but I missed this. Apparently mods that change S.A.I.L. make custom races crash.

9. DrPvtSkittles

Do you mean the files in the objects\ship\boosters folder?

Wait I see what I've done. Oh lordy. Thank you

10. DrPvtSkittles

11. MasterChaos

MasterChaos Subatomic Cosmonaut

Photoshop can in fact do spritework. It's what I use. You just make sure you switch to the pencil tool instead of the brush, as well the pencil eraser. Set the size to 1 on both and make sure hardness is set to 100 on both. Then zoom down to the farthest zoom level.

It's really not that hard to use. Unless you're making larger sprites, you don't even need to worry about using a tablet or anything. You're editing or creating at the pixel level, "drawing" pixel by pixel. So it's easy just clicking away with a mouse.

Otherwise if you think it's hard. It aint got nothin to do with which program you use. It just means spritework isn't a natural talent for you. Practice, practice, practice.

12. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

It's not that I am saying that Photoshop and Gimp are impossible to use at all, As I most certainly recall using it when I first started making mods. I am merely stating that I prefer using Gimp and PS for specific tasks rather than for the entire project. I am by no means forcing anyone to use software that they are not comfortable with (as that would be incredibly rude) at all. I apologize if I may have came off as preachy when I was stating my opinion.... I was a little tired when I wrote that.

oscbigarmor.png policekar.gif losvasok.gif plasmacutlass.gif

So, what sort of races have you folks created with this jump start?

13. MasterChaos

Well no but what I'm saying is. It's not even complicated. It's just like MS paint as far as spritework goes. But it has transparency like gimp. But PS isn't all cluttered and doesn't have a crappy third party software design to it. To me I don't see where the beef is at all you know?

I'm actually the same way. PS was not designed necessarily for illustration so much as it was image EDITING. Hence the term "shop" becoming internet slang that means to fuck around with pre-existing images. I actually use Illustrator for my drawings and stuff that AREN'T sprite work. An actual illustration program designed to make illustrations. But the fact is that you can't really get much better than PS when it comes to sprite work because it's so simple and has everything you need to do it.

I made my Cherub race sprites using PS. It was so simple it felt like a breeze.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That work you shared is good. Did you make it?

14. Relten

Relten The Waste of Time

I think I recall swapping away from Gimp and PS when I started making armor, as I was having issues with both managing color pallets, and seeing if I had made any mistakes. Again though, the best software for pixel art is whatever you are most comfortable using....even MS paint....somehow.
    Ah, so you are the creator of those mods. I actually remember seeing both of those homestuck races popping up on the modding repository. While I don't personally read homestuck, I can most certainly see that you are indeed putting hard work into them.
    I did indeed make those...I wouldn't get much satisfaction out of posting someone else's work.

15. MasterChaos

Hm. Well with photoshop you make custom swatches for the colors you want, and that custom set of colors is saved in the specific PSD that they were set in. So the best way if you wanted to keep re-using palettes is to start with a blank new file. Make the swatches. Save the file. Then whenever you start a new project that uses that specific set of colors, you just re-open that file and do the work and then save it as a completely separate PSD or just save the image and don't save over the template file for that color set.

Well I have to bluntly say that I didn't make the sprites in the Troll race mod as it is now. I updated someone else's mod basically, worked out some kinks and made a few tweaks here and there, etc. However I will assert that I COULD have. That I have the skill required to make stuff of that quality. Plus I WILL be making plenty of my own sprites for stuff like clothes, armor, weapons, ships, etc.

Also as a recommendation now that the comic is finished, you should totes read it. It's a lot more interesting than you think.

Well not personal satisfaction. But sometimes it's just nice to share others' work so it gets more exposure. But either way, your stuff is great.

16. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut

Im having an issue with the images that go in /interface/title for the race selection tabs in character creation; everything seems to be set up fine and i seem to have renamed everything properly, but even though the sprites were appearing in an older version of this mod, i just moved everything over and they aren't showing, everything else seems to be working fine, ive gone over the .species file and i can't figure out whats wrong, are there any other json files that interact with them images?

17. MasterChaos

No offense but this is why you should never just jump to assume that replacing stuff in a mod will be fine. You have to make sure whatever file you're overwriting isn't a more updated version or what. Even with sprites I make sure to open up and compare the images to make sure nothing in that regard was changed either.

18. DrPvtSkittles

I would check your starbound.log file.

Failing that, I would use a clean template mod and the .bat file and then as you replace your files, keep testing the mod to make sure if anything goes weirdly you can pinpoint it at the source.

19. jaymee_murder

jaymee_murder Subatomic Cosmonaut

okay thanks :D

20. DrPvtSkittles

No problem :D

Oh and periodically back up your mod, so if you kinda mess something up (as happens to the best to us lol) you will have a working version to fall back on.