Other [FanFic] Rose & Sunflower: The Music Within (Updates MWF) -Ch 64/64 [30 September] -COMPLETE-

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Risukage, May 7, 2016.

1. Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

cough is that... is that blood? ahem. Well, it's a touching last parting with an old friend and lover. I'm glad to see Lys in much better shape mentally now than he has been in years. Sam was having too much fun this time around. What a cheekmonger lmao :rofl: That final scene with the snow on the ground and Lys crawling into bed after a day of things going right for once is very relaxing and evokes some pleasant imagery. Loved it!

Risukage likes this.
    • Risukage

Risukage Giant Laser Beams

//Finally, the drama is behind him, things are going to get better from here on out! ...Ahhhhh-hahahahahaha. :'D//

Lys awoke to find himself curiously tired. It wasn't like they had stayed up terribly late or done anything after they'd gotten home. How strange, why-

He swayed a little as he got to his feet, also curiously dizzy. His chest ached a little as well.

What the hell, I'm really feeling out of it today. Maybe yesterday I was more stressed and whatever than I'd thought I was. Probably didn't help that I kept getting knocked around and falling over in the snow. Ugh, snow, that's why, it's so damn cold out. I've never done well in the winter. At least it's warm in here. Almost too warm, odd.

His thoughts were somewhat disjointed as he dressed for his run, almost bumping into the dresser as he left and shooting a quick glance back to make sure that he hadn't woken Elliott. Exhaling with relief, he steadied himself on the sturdy furniture and staggered to the front door, gasping in shock at the temperature delta between indoors and out. His clothes were warm enough, but the breeze still bit right through, and he was certain that if he were to check his skin he'd see red marks from windy fangs. Taking a deep breath to focus, he coughed deeply and heavily, staggering again, grabbing the patio strut for support. Once in control of himself, he rubbed his arms for warmth before setting off in a jog down the road, mindful of the snow, slush and ice on the ground.

Alex was already waiting at the plaza, not looking terribly enthusiastic about the weather as well.

"It is really cold out here, we've gotta find some other-" He interrupted himself as Lys jogged up, grabbing the other man by the shoulders to get a better look at his face. "You don't look so good, are you okay?" Shivering a bit, Lys panted for breath, not happy about the feeling of inhaling icy-cold air.

"...Yeah... 'M just fine... Just cold..." He put a fist over his mouth to stifle a cough, which made him double over and grip Alex's shoulder as he continued to cough without control in a deep, ragged, raspy manner that rattled his entire frame. His knees gave out and he collapsed into Alex's grip, who nearly fell over as well due to the slick nature of the street.

"Oy! Lys! Talk to me- Shit, you're burning up," he muttered, putting a hand to his cousin's forehead, "you're not cold, you have a cold. Get up, you need to... Damn it." Lys had passed out, and with a noise of concerned frustration, Alex carefully picked him up while trying to maintain his balance. "You're going to get a right earful from Elliott, right after you get it from me," he grumbled, trying to distract himself as he walked back to Lys's home. The walk wasn't terribly long, but it was frigid, and Alex fumbled for the door latch with a cold (and full) hand, opening it all the way with his shoulder and nudging it shut with his foot, though with a bit more force than he had intended.

"Mmm, Lysander? Is everything okay?" he heard a sleepy voice ask from the other room.

"Elliott! He needs help!"

"Wha- Alex?" The athlete entered the bedroom at the same time that Elliott sat up, brushing sleep from his eyes. The haze was gone in a blink, however, taking in the entire scene in a glance. "What happened? Set him down." He shifted a bit farther to the side of the bed as Alex gratefully eased Lys to the bed and rubbed his sore arms.

"Hell if I know, bro, he ran up looking tired, nearly coughed up a lung, and just went limp. He didn't say anything to you before he left?" Elliott was checking Lys, and grimaced at the shallow breathing and fever his partner now sported.

"He always wakes and leaves for your run before I rise, so no, there was nothing for me to notice. Though I do require trousers, so..." Alex turned away, examining parts of the room to occupy himself as he listened to the rustle of fabric. "There, a bit more decent for company," Elliott remarked.

"Aren't those his pants?"

"You'd rather I take them off?"

"I'm good."

"Still, he's burning with fever, why did you not take him to the clinic? You were closer to it than his home, were you not?" Alex was surprised at this suggestion and thought about it before chuckling.

"It was, but even if I had it's not open for a few more hours." Elliott laughed at himself and shook his head.

"You are correct, my apologizes for disparaging you. You did the right thing, thank you. Please, stay, allow me to get you something to eat or drink, you look cold yourself," he offered, rummaging through the dresser for something.

"That'd be great, thanks. Aw crap, I tracked in a bit of mud and snow, sorry about that."

"You were concerned for his health and safety, it is understandable. Here," Elliott threw him a towel, "use this, I'll get Lys changed into something a bit more suitable." Alex grinned, trying to add brevity to the situation.

"You need help or are you good?" Elliott's lips quirked in a smile, appreciating the jest.

"I am quite adept at undressing him, I think that I can manage the reverse with little difficulty."

Alex wiped up the tracked debris and set his shoes on the mat by the door, pausing as he wondered if he should go back and check on the other two, when Elliott emerged, also having put on Lys's shirt as well, the one from the day before.

"Put that in the laundry bin, I'll start a coffee for us both. Or do you prefer something else?"

"Nah, coffee's good. Heh, so, what, you're in that part of the relationship where you're wearing each other's clothes now?"

"It isn't the first time, and they were the first garments at hand. I assumed that you would be uncomfortable with anything less." They walked past each other, and Alex took a moment to check on his cousin, now wearing warm clothes, tucked under the blankets. He appeared to be okay, but not sleeping, simply unconscious. Sighing, he put the damp and dirty towel in the laundry bin and walked to the kitchen, where Elliott was trying to start coffee, but kept knocking things aside or over with shaking hands, fortunately not having made a mess yet.

"Hey, Elliott, chill, he'll be fine." Alex straightened the items on the counter and grabbed out of the air a cup that nearly made it to the floor. "It's just a cold. I'll go and pick up Doc Harvey when the clinic opens and bring him on down. Right now, you can't do anything, so just...chill, yeah?" Elliott put both hands on the countertop and took a long breath to calm himself.

"You are correct, thank you. I am overreacting, but it is difficult for me not to be concerned." He successfully mixed coffee grounds and hot water in the press and set it aside, but almost knocked a cup off of the counter again and swore, causing him to turn red at the uncharacteristic loss of control.

"You really do care about him, don't you? C'mere, bro-hug, you need it," Alex said, giving Elliott the same rib-cracking hug that he'd given to Lys the evening before. Elliott almost lost his balance, from surprise as well as the force of Alex's embrace, and leaned into the athlete for a moment, borrowing some of his strength.

"My thanks again. I had thought that concentrating on a simple task would be sufficient to distract and focus myself, but apparently I am not as rational as I had hoped to be."

In the other room, Lys woke up again, extremely confused. He looked around the room, saw that Elliott wasn't there, and noticed his change of clothes.

What the hell. I got up for the run and met up with Alex, and then... Shit, what happened after that? I feel so out of it right now. Maybe a cup of something hot will clear my head.

Throwing aside the blanket, he swung his legs out of bed and stood up, and those same legs buckled under him without any strength. Already dizzy from standing, he didn't have the sense or coordination to try to catch or steady himself, and ended up impacting the dresser for the second time that morning, this time much harder. He hissed in pain as he put a hand to his temple, where he had cracked himself sharply, checking his palm through blurred vision for blood. Vaguely aware of voices and hurried footsteps from the other room, he tried to push himself to his feet, only to have Elliott wrap him in a hug.

"Are you alright, dear? Please, stay in bed, you aren't well." Lys tried to push him away and stand up, but even the gentle hold that Elliott had on him was too much for him to break.

"I'm fine, I just... I... It's..." Shoulders shaking, he gripped Elliott's shirt- his shirt- in both hands and hung his head, trying to hide his face. "Please, just go."

"Dear, what's wrong? Are you hurt?" This kindness hurt worse than the pain from hitting his head.

"No, I'm... Just... I..." Elliott put a hand to Lys's face and made him meet his gaze.

"Talk to me, what is wrong? Are you injured?"

"...I don't want you to see me like this..." he whispered, looking away again, feeling the hot burn of tears and flush in his cheeks, and once again was unsuccessful in his attempt to stand on his own. Elliott and Alex shared a quick look of conversation, and Alex nodded, leaving to return to the kitchen.

"What are you afraid of? I won't laugh or poke fun at you. Dearest, look at me," he smiled, brushing away tears with his fingers, "part of being strong is knowing when to let someone else take care of things. There is no shame in letting someone see you when you're vulnerable. Rather, it is a sign of trust. Let me take care of you, be a bit selfish. You pour your heart and energy into looking out for all of us. Allow me to take on that burden for you, even just for a bit."

"I don't want to be a burden on you, love, I-" Elliott held him tightly, and Lys tried to break free of his kiss, which was very nice, but-

"You could get sick, don't-"

"I don't care. You need this, dear."

"But-"

"I. Don't. Care." Lys finally let himself enjoy the second one, and Elliott was right, he did need it, but at the same time... "Do you recall when I stayed up far too long in order to finish our novel? And how you asked that if our roles were reversed if I would do the same for you?" Feeling weak and exhausted, he leaned into his partner, surrendering the fight. Elliott noticed and helped him to his feet and back to bed. Lys flopped onto the pillow with an arm over his eyes as Elliott adjusted the sheets.

"I just wanted to grab something to drink."

"Then I will get you something. I have already started coffee, will that do?" Smiling apologetically, Lys nodded.

"Yeah, that'd be great, thanks."

Returning to the kitchen, Alex was inspecting the press, wondering how long it would take for the beverage to finish steeping as Elliott walked back in. He set it down and eyed the author, wondering how the conversation had gone.

"Looks like you two worked things out." Elliott brushed a lock of hair behind his ear and nodded, pulling out a third cup and pouring for all of them.

"We have reached an agreement, if not a complete understanding. Bloody stubborn man, it's fortunate that he hasn't been ill previously, as he'd work himself to death on his own otherwise. But then, that's one of the things that we all find endearing." He offered Alex the first cup, poured condensed milk into his and Lys's drinks, and picked up both cups as he walked to the bedroom. Lys shifted himself to sit up, but paused halfway through as he was seized by a coughing fit. Once over it, Alex helped him sit up while Elliott adjusted the pillows to support him, and made sure that Lys had both hands on his drink before letting go.

"Thanks love, sorry to bother. You too, Alex, I owe you both."

"It is no bother at all. And once the clinic opens we'll have Harvey look you over and see what needs to be done. In the meantime, you'll just have to enjoy our company."

"Yeah," supplied Alex as he blew on his coffee to cool it, "I carried your ass all the way from the plaza, so if you don't listen to your boyfriend and get well soon we're gonna have words. And don't give me that apologetic look, bro," he remarked, seeing Lys's expression change, "I'm just glad you're okay." After finishing their drinks, Elliott took the cups back to the kitchen while Alex put his shoes back on.

"I'm heading back home to get dressed. I'll drop by the clinic and grab the doc as soon as he gets there. Thanks for the coffee, that really helped."

"I will call him and let him know that you will be arriving so that you aren't waiting."

"Cool. Oof, it's stupid cold out there right now, we're gonna hafta find some other way to get in cardio this time of year. See ya in a bit, bro." Elliott returned to the bedroom again, smiling when he saw that Lys had dozed off, and got changed into fresh clothes, busying himself and his mind with minor cleaning-up around the room and kitchen.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
        Gabaw and Alkanthe like this.
      • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

*pets poor Lysander* Someone is having a very not good week (month?) But getting sick after stressful times certainly syncs up with my personal experiences. Immune systems seem to go, "Oh, no active threats of death? *throws on vacation gear* Screw this, I'm outta here!"

Gabaw and Risukage like this.
        • Risukage

I love this character but it is so fun to give him grief... And this is just more semi-autobiographical stuff in that 1) I almost never get sick, 2) if I do it's usually 'cause something was kicking my ass mentally/emotionally recently as well and it hits harder than it should, and 3) NO I AM NOT SICK REALLY I'M GOING TO GO DO THINGS PUT ME DOWN DAMN IT

Also, one thing that isn't similar is that Lys will get over this without much fuss or collateral damage. Me? I weaponize anything I contract. Quarantine my ass until I've got a clean bill of health or you will pray to your respective deity for the mercy of oblivion. :p

• Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

When it rains, it pours as they say :p Cats and dogs all day e'rryday. It doesn't help that both Lys and Elliott have very eh, similar personalities when it comes to being all like I must not be a burden to those I love but my actions are now making things worse in the exact ways I didn't want and all. How long has it been, a year? One of them needs to be fairly well grounded at a time and they're getting better at it. Without Alex and Sam I think these two lovebirds would still be at square 1 when it comes to trusting in the strength of one another as support.

Risukage likes this.
            • Risukage

I know! They're acting like protagonists in a bad shoujo manga, what's up with-

...Oh... Well then.

But Cousin Alex and Annoying Little Brother Sam have definitely been a positive influence on them both. Ah well, it's an uphill battle, but they're both getting better at it. *Hums "Let it Go" and giggles.*

• Risukage

//Everything's better with friends, right? Well, maybe not "better," but they're usually at least less awful. Also, I simply LOVE writing for Sam. I'm going to try to give him more screen time in the next story, because seriously, this chapter just makes me smile. :D

Also, I notice that I'm hitting a few events/plot points that some other writers here are right now and I SWEAR I'm not cribbing your work, you guys, I've had these last chapters and the end scripted like this for the last month. Great minds, yeah?//

Elliott was in the middle of putting a few more logs on the fire when Alex returned, this time dressed in clothes more suited for the weather, and followed by Harvey. Both of them stopped just inside the door to remove and hang up thick winter coats and remove slush-encrusted shoes.

"Dang, even though the road is paved to the door it's still a mess out there," Alex observed, "I'll grab the shovel and clear the way to the main road for you in a bit."

"That isn't really necessary."

"Nah, it's cool, I need to get in some exercise today, and this way I'm helping out a bit. You two are a bit out of the way out here. Speaking of, thanks for the house call, doc." Harvey was washing his hands in the kitchen and had just finished drying them. Removing his spectacles, he cleaned them with a soft cloth.

"I do not normally do calls like this, but your distance from the rest of the town, this weather, and what you've told me of Lysander's condition, it's best that I be the one to travel." He picked up his satchel and followed Elliott into the bedroom, who pulled a chair up to the side of the bed for Harvey before leaving to give the two of them some privacy. Back in the living room, he rubbed the back of his neck and sat down on the couch, and was joined shortly by Alex.

"You doing okay, bro?"

"Yes, now that medical aid has arrived I can relax. I am trying not to smother or be obsessive, and I know that it is simple illness that is not life-threatening, but at the same time..."

"It's okay, I understand where you're coming from. I watched mom waste away, and there was nothing I could do about it. Heh, I guess that's why I'm so involved right now, I don't want anything like that to happen again. Yeah, it's just a cold, but it could get worse if he tries to do everything like he usually does, so we've gotta step in and make sure it doesn't get that far."

They waited in patient, thoughtful silence until Harvey re-entered the living room and set his satchel on the coffee table to dig through it.

"As I surmised from your telephone diagnosis, just a minor chest cold, though if he isn't careful it could develop into pneumonia. I have prescribed-" He blinked and adjusted his glasses as he thought about something. "Ah, what...relation...do you two have with him? I do not want to breach doctor-patient confidentiality." Alex and Elliott exchanged glances again and sighed.

"Not proper relations, I must confess," Elliott supplied, "Alex is his cousin, albeit a bit distant, and I am...simply his partner..." He appeared to be a little dejected at this admission, and Harvey bristled his moustache thoughtfully.

"You two are living together, correct?" Surprised, Elliott was unsure of how to answer, until he noticed Harvey's smile and understood the subtext.

"That is correct."

"Ah, domestic partners, then, I am allowed to confide in you his medical needs and history. Apologies, Alex, but..."

"S'okay, doc, I'll go and see how the ginger nuisance is holding up." He walked briskly to the bedroom as the other two discussed medication and treatment. Lys was sitting up again, checking something on his phone, now wearing a paper mask to keep from spreading his cold. He was able to suppress another cough before sighing wearily, putting the phone in his lap. Alex sat down next to him and ruffled his hair, grinning.

"That's a hell of a way to get out of running for the day, cuz." Huffing in good humor, Lys reclined back against the pillows.

"It could be worse, I guess, but I hate the thought of him having to drop everything and look after me. I feel so useless."

"Then maybe you should think of how lucky you are to have someone that is willing and able to drop everything and look after you." Their conversation was interrupted by Elliott's arrival.

"May I impose upon you for a lift home after you return Doctor Harvey to the clinic? I require a few more items than I have at the moment if I am to be here more than a day."

"Easy enough, I'll deal with the road when we get back, then. Catch a nap, Lys, we'll be back in a while."

As the three of them departed Lys received a message through Chatter. Allen?

QuantumEntangler: hey, sorry I didn't message you when I got home, I was wiped out and almost didn't make it into bed. Speaking of...how are you feeling?...

SixStrings: ...you wanker. You're the reason I'm sick?!

QuantumEntangler: aw hell, sorry. At least it's a mild cold, right?

SixStrings: the hell it is! I'm stuck in bed! Apparently I passed out this morning, and now Elliott is staying over to take care of me

QuantumEntangler: um. Well then. My sympathies to the both of you, you're a right pain in the ass when you're ill

SixStrings: THANKS

QuantumEntangler: just saying. Really, sorry about that. Pity, it was SO romantic, too. Dating you was pretty good as I recall :D

SixStrings: well, sucks to be you, 'cause I've got a hot new boy toy now :p

QuantumEntangler: that you do! I'm happy for you both. Try not to give him hell while you're getting better, he really seems nice

SixStrings: ...yeah, he is... Damn, better let the band know I'm not making practice today. This is the worst part of being sick

QuantumEntangler: hope you're better before your next gig next week, I want to see you all again

SixStrings: same, take care, it was good to see you

Lys smiled and chuckled to himself, taking a moment to indulge in a few old memories before typing out a quick message to the band.

SixStrings: just a heads-up, I caught the plague, won't be able to make practice, not sure when I'll be functional again

RawkStar: what? noooooo, you're not allowed to die on us right after our debut! :(

SixStrings: chill, mate, it's just a chest cold, I'll be fine soon

L33tK3ys: sorry to hear about that, need anything?

PurpleGoth: clearly he needs a lap dance. Get on it, Sam

RawkStar: but he hasn't taught me yet. you never taught me to pole dance, either, d00d

SixStrings: it's your fault for not picking up a thong and pair of heels by now. This is all on you, mate

L33tK3ys: ...this got weird very quickly...

PurpleGoth: my mascara is running OMG :'D

RawkStar: but where do i buy that around here? not like i get to the city much

SixStrings: nick 'em from Haley, she's got a few pairs extra

ProBro: ...how the hell do you know so much about the state of my gf's underwear?

SixStrings: I didn't until now :3

ShutterBug: leave me out of this. Besides, I've got wayyyy too much boo-tay for him to wear my stuff and he's not classy enough for any of my shoes ;)

PurpleGoth: #DYING :rofl:

SeasideScribe: if you aren't asleep by the time I return I shall be very annoyed

SixStrings: what'cha going to do about it, spank me? Didn't know you were into that, love

L33tK3ys: ...you are all weirdos

A while later Lys woke once more from sleep he didn't remember trying to have, and sighed in irritation when he noticed that he was still weak and exhausted, and threatening to cough if he so much as inhaled funny. Elliott walked in at the same time, wearing Lys's work clothes, smelling faintly of green things and with smudges of dirt on his hands and arms, apparently having just returned from the greenhouse.

"It is quite warm and lovely in there, but the cold from there to here is bitter and sharp."

"You took care of... Thanks again, love, looks like I'm just racking up the favors to return." Sitting on the edge of the bed, Elliott kissed the top of Lys's head and removed the ribbon that held back his hair to secure it more neatly.

"It needs to be done so I am taking care of it. Do not concern yourself with debts and repayments. I am happy to perform this task. Rather, I find it pleasing, as I previously had no horticultural ability, and under your tutelage I am now capable of performing the errands that you manage daily." The front door opened and closed, and Elliott stood up to greet the visitor.

"That must be Alex, he said he was going to shovel the road- Oh, hello, I did not expect all of you to be here as well." Perplexed, Lys worked himself into a sitting position, and just in time, as Sam bounded in the door, dropped his backpack, and hopped onto the bed, straddling Lys's legs and giving him a firm hug around the chest that set off a full ten-second coughing fit.

"Hey dude! You're not dead yet. Sweet PJs, didn't know you wore that style."

"I normally don't, I just keep a set handy for company."

"Why, what do you normally sleep in?"

"Elliott's arms." Sam laughed with delighted surprise as the other man in question turned a bit red at this admission, with Abigail giggling and Sebastian smirking.

"Sorry to barge in," he shrugged, reaching into Sam's backpack for a soda, "but he's been wound up all week because of the snow and Jodi practically begged us to get him out for a bit. Also, he's had two-"

"Three," Sam corrected.

"-three sodas on the way here, but I'm not taking responsibility for that."

"Don't those have twice the caffeine of a cup of coffee?" Lys asked, already knowing the answer.

"Yup." Alex and Haley now showed up, removing cold weather gear, and Sam bounced a bit on his heels, grinning like he usually did, like a spiky ray of sunshine.

"Man, you are looking rough, dude. Hasn't Elliott given you kisses or anything to make you feel better?"

"I'm not subjecting him to what I've got," Lys replied, very carefully avoiding mentioning that Elliott already had. Sam gasped dramatically, putting his hands on his face.

"What? You've been deprived of smooches? No wonder you're dying! Fine, I shall fall upon the sword of contagion myself. Pucker up, buttercup, you're going to enjoy this more than I will."

"As amusing and heartfelt as this is, you really don't want what I've got, mate."

"You're turning down kisses? This man is clearly not in his right mind. Quick, we need to bring him back from the brink. Elliott! He needs a handy! Abby! Boobs in his face! Sebastian! ...Stand there and smolder all sexy, it's gonna be crowded over here. Haley! ...I'm not asking anything of you 'cause Alex will kill me." The group of friends chortled, shrugged, sighed, and rolled their eyes at Sam's suggestions, and Lys rubbed his eyes with fatigue, though smiling a little.

"That all would be very nice but I couldn't get it up if I tried, so the effort would be wasted."

"Wait, so even this isn't doing anything for you?" asked Sam with a cheeky smirk as he rubbed up against Lys in a full-contact hug.

"Right now? Not as such."

"Gasp! Alas! Have I lost my sex appeal?"

"You've certainly lost something," Sebastian quipped, draining the last of his soda.

"It's not you, it's me," Lys replied, patting the shorter man on the shoulder.

"A lack of drive? No snark or flirty innuendo? You really are dying!" He reached over with one arm to pull Lys's face into his chest and placed the back of his other hand on his brow, hamming it up as much as he could. "So young, so beautiful, we hardly knew you- Wait, hang on a sec." He released Lys for a moment to fish his phone out of his pocket and tap a few icons.

"Sam, what are you-"

"Found it," Sam commented, dropping his phone on the bed, which now played a funeral dirge, sounding tinny from the phone's speakers, and grabbed Lys again to strike the same pose, to the amusement of everyone present. "Now where was I? Oh yeah. We hardly knew you, sexy ginger man, you had so much life left to live, so many hot people to shag, so many bitchin' concerts at which you could rock people's faces. Now it's all gone, gone!"

He paused when he felt Lys's shoulders shaking, and let his friend go, concerned. His concern was unnecessary, however, as Lys began to laugh without abandon, interspersed with a deep, body-shaking cough. Sam grinned even more widely and hugged him again, giggling happily. They weren't alone; Elliott and Abigail were in tears, being supported by Sebastian, who was barely able to do so, though wearing a rare smile of his own. Alex and Haley were having a good laugh, but not quite as much as the other two.

"You are a crazy pain in the ass, and I needed that. Thanks, mate," Lys said, once he had caught his breath, "all of you. Sorry I-"

"Stop apologizing or I'll tickle you," threatened Sam, "people get sick, it happens. And it means that I've got a captive audience for a while. Woo-hoo!"

"I will allow it for a while, but not too long, he does need to take his medication and get some rest," Elliott gently admonished, dabbing at his eyes with a handkerchief, and Alex smiled and crossed his arms across his chest.

"Yeah, I already had to drag his ass back from the plaza, I'm worried enough about him as it is."

"Pffft, you two are acting like parents right now," Sam teased, causing Elliott and Alex to share another look of surprise before laughing at their actions so far that day.

"He is correct, we rather have."

"Yeah." His fire restored just enough by his companions, Lys found his snark again.

"If that makes Elliott the 'mom' then that means I've got a massive Oedipus Complex going on and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that."

Gabaw, Alkanthe and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                • ApertureGaming011

ApertureGaming011 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well, Sam is Sam nevertheless whoever writes it. I like it!

• Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Sam is hitting the target and splittin arrows like Robin Hood over here, cracking it up :rofl: I think Seb nailed it. "...you are all weirdos." :p Without all this clowning around Lys might have actually got some quality rest!

Risukage and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                    • Risukage

//Sorry this is going up so late (well, relatively), it's been a rough couple of days and I had NO writing mojo at all the other day. Nothing big, no worries, just UGH BLAH. Most of this chapter was already mentally ready to go, but some of the dialogue just took forever to get right. Monday should be MUCH easier to deal with.//

Lys dropped in and out of sleep for the next couple of hours as his friends attempted to cook something in his kitchen. At one point he was certain that he heard Sam shout, "SHIT'S ON FIRE, YO," but he honestly wasn't certain if it was a fever dream or reality, and really, knowing his friends, it could go either way. Elliott woke him long enough to offer a bowl of soup that they had successfully concocted (how hard was it to make soup, anyway?!), remarking that he would clean up the mess and scorch marks in the kitchen later. Lys paused with the spoon halfway to his mouth at this information, and was not at all reassured by a comforting pat on the shoulder and the suggestion to not worry about it.

This continued for the next couple of days; Elliott stayed over to monitor him and take care of necessary chores, and his friends would drop in once a day to provide a bit of company and levity, which Lys greatly enjoyed, even though he didn't have enough energy to properly enjoy their time together. Elliott seemed to have a sense for this, as he was quick but polite to herd everyone out when he noticed Lys beginning to wind down, offering a cup of hot tea with his medication. Despite Sam's joke that Elliott and Alex were acting like concerned parents, it didn't feel like that. This was more like...equals supporting each other.

Some time in the early morning after the fourth day, Lys woke up feeling much better. Sitting up, he took a few experimental, deep breaths and was pleased to find that he was no longer fatigued or plagued with a tickle in his throat. He checked the time on his phone and grimaced at the early hour; with all of the sleep he'd been getting lately he wasn't tired right now, but it was still dark and far too cold to take care of anything outside of the house. Getting up, he stretched with satisfaction, feeling muscles, tendons, and joints loosening and complaining after prolonged bed rest. His eyes adjusted to the darkness, he slipped quietly into the living room, smiling when he saw Elliott comfortably asleep on the couch with Xander curled up on his chest.

As he moved over, Xander twitched an ear and regarded him with a sleepy, one-eyed look. Scratching the ginger feline between the ears, he carefully sat down next to Elliott, and held his breath as Xander got up and hopped onto the back of the couch. The other man was deep in sleep, as this didn't produce any response. Feeling relaxed from his rest and recovery, he took a few minutes to sit with his partner, mentally indexing the last few days, gingerly taking his hand, wanting the physical contact he'd been denied but trying not to disturb him. A few minutes of this was enough to satisfy him; Elliott was even more serene than usual while asleep, and Lys shared in it until he decided that he might as well take care of a few things around the house. He was unable to resist the urge to brush a few strands of hair out of the other man's face, and this gentle motion was enough to wake him.

"Sorry, love," he apologized quietly, "go back to sleep, it's still early."

"You have recovered," Elliott observed, with that warm smile that belonged only to Lys, "it is good to see you in full health again."

"And if you hadn't been here I'd still be sick, and likely worse. Thanks for everything. I know you don't want repayment, but I'll find a way to make it up to you." Elliott's smile shifted from warm to flirty, and he pulled Lys closer to nibble his ear.

"Then I shall demand payment in your touch. It has been over half a week since I could hold you, and even longer since I have been able to have you."

"What, here on the couch?" he teased, brushing Elliott's lips with a light kiss, "you're awfully frisky this early in the morning, I'm impressed."

"You are the fiery incubus who has led me down this path, so you have none to blame but yourself. Now, let us see how much of your debt you can pay off by the end of the morning."

Quite some time later, Lys dried himself off after a lengthy shower, the first he'd had since getting sick, and it felt marvelous. Locating a fresh pair of pants, he stripped the bed of its linens and put them in the wash, suddenly seized with the urge to clean. As he returned to the bedroom, he saw that Elliott had likewise put on fresh trousers, scrubbing his hair with a towel. Lys moved past him to reach into the closet for a warm shirt, and enjoyed the electric tingle as Elliott nuzzled his neck, hugging him from behind.

"Again so soon? Can't say I complain."

"At the moment I am sated, I only crave a moment to hold you. Can you begrudge me the desire to make up for lost time in showing you affection?"

"Not at all," he giggled, as his partner nibbled his ear again playfully, "and you're not the only one feeling energetic. After it's light enough to see I want to get into the greenhouse and take care of things, then walk with you back to your cabin. I figure you want to get back, at least to drop off everything you brought up here. And I need a walk so bad. It's ugly and cold out, but I've been stuck in bed too long and need to stretch my legs a bit."

It didn't take long for them to gather up everything that Elliott had brought and to pack it, after which they finished changing into work clothes and took care of the tasks in the greenhouse. Lys was pleased and surprised to see what was still surviving the winter outside, even if it wasn't growing.

"You know, I really do want to put in roses one day, over there, I'm thinking," he remarked, pointing at the area in question as they walked back to the house, "they're supposed to thrive in this climate."

"That they do," Elliott smiled, putting an arm around Lys's waist, who returned the smile at the implied subtext.

"Which reminds me, I see you brought the potted rose of yours with you, it's looking well."

"The both of us required skilled and dedicated care, and we now bloom with vigor and beauty."

"Beauty, hunh? You're more handsome, I think, but I will happily take credit for both of you doing so well."

Another change of clothes, this time to their regular ones, Lys put the bed linens in the dryer to tumble while he was out and about, then joined Elliott in the main room to laboriously put on cold weather gear and lace up boots. Lys shrugged into one backpack and Elliott retrieved the other, and they set off east to town after locking up behind them. It was still morning, though not nearly as early as it had been, and they held hands once more as they enjoyed the solitude of the winter day while everyone else was still asleep or otherwise indoors. The air was biting cold, but Lys tolerated it for once, his jacket warm, the scarf wrapped securely, and the hood up. Elliott wasn't as bothered by the chill, and gratefully breathed deeply of the frost-tinged air.

They only stopped in at the cabin long enough to drop off Elliott's belongings, carefully setting the rose back on its table, and went back out to stroll on the beach, as Lys was still working out pent-up energy. Once more, they felt no need to converse, simply enjoying each other's company as well as the environment around them, until Lys spotted something in the sand and stooped to pick it up.

"Oh, nifty, look at that," he remarked, holding up a half-shell, which shone with an iridescent gleam as he turned it in the light, "what's that called, again, 'mother of pearl,' if I remember correctly? Yeah. That's lovely, and a big one, too. That reminds me of something..." He handed the shell to Elliott to inspect as he thought. "Oh yeah, some old tradition here in town that grandpa told me about ages ago. Something about a legend or a tradition called a 'Mermaid Pendant,' supposed to have been used for engagements, I think. Damn, it's been forever, and I was too young to appreciate it at the time, so I didn't pay much attention. I guess I'll have to ask dad or Lewis, 'cause it's going to itch at me until I remember." A sudden thought crossed his mind and he blushed and gasped.

"I-! That is, I didn't mean that- I just remembered something and had to chase the thread and-"

"It is fine, my dear, I understand. Your life is dedicated to knowing and telling stories, so it is natural that you'd remember something like that when finding an item like this, as well as being perplexed from being unable to recall the entire tale. I would like to hear of this local legend as well, it sounds unique and intriguing. Though you are delightfully cute when flustered." The redness flared again for a moment, but this time was paired with a smile.

"Ah, true, right then, shall we continue on?" Lys asked, clearing his throat and smoothing the front of his jacket, and didn't notice Elliott slip the shell into his coat pocket on the side opposite from him. They wandered down the beach for a while longer before looping back to head back into town and join the band, having sent a Chatter message once they were sure that they wouldn't wake anyone. Except for Sebastian, who always slept late and didn't notice the messages until he woke up anyway.

"You're alive, dude, whoo! Sorry about the kitchen, we really weren't trying to make a mess, it just happened." Sam trotted over to hug Lys, who sat down on the edge of the table, setting aside Resonance and returning the hug.

"I just want to know how you and Haley managed to burn water. I mean, damn, that takes talent."

"Hell if I know, but it was pretty neat. Wish I'd have gotten pics, but I was as surprised as anyone else."

"Well, no harm, no foul. Thanks for dropping in to visit, all of you, I really needed the company, even if I could only take it in small doses."

"S'all good, dude, it feels great that we were able to do something." Lys felt his mischief again and grinned, tapping Sam on the forehead.

"And I distinctly recall you offering kisses to help me get better. Really now, you wanted to get sick, or did you know that I'd turn you down because of it and therefore felt safe in your suggestion?" Sam shrugged with indifference.

"Eh, I thought it would be funny and that you needed a laugh. Besides, I've already kissed you before and it wasn't anything special."

"Is that so?" Lys asked, tracing soft fingers down the side of Sam's face, from his ear to his chin, and let them linger there, barely touching. "Nothing special? I'm almost insulted." Sam was uncharacteristically surprised as Lys focused on him with that warm, soft smile he often gave to Elliott, not having expected it or the way it touched his eyes and radiated kindness. He felt somehow drawn in and wrapped up in it, not bothered at all as Lys leaned a bit closer, brushing away a loose strand of hair with the back of his fingers, still almost not quite making contact.

"I should be insulted, but now that I think of it, you've never had the privilege of my skills and attention, so you wouldn't know. I can't be angry or annoyed. Rather, I feel that I need to show you how special it can be. And how special you are as well..." Sam could feel Lys's breath, warm on his lips, and something tickled at the back of his mind as that flirty smile returned. "And you totally failed your Willpower save." Blinking, Sam returned to reality and found that he'd put his hands on Lys's waist, leaning toward him, who was grinning with the sort of smile that he always wore when he did something terribly funny and cheeky. Both Abigail and Sebastian were smothering laughter, not wanting to interrupt, and Elliott simply smiled with patient amusement.

"Oh, that's cold, dude. You know what? TICKLES OF DOOM."

"What? No! Shit! Ahh!" Already close to him, Sam put one arm around his waist and held him tightly, tickling furiously with the other hand, and this leverage was enough to keep Lys from pushing him away, who fought back ineffectively though tears of hilarity. "Ahhh! Stop! You wanker, knock it off!"

"DARK VENGEANCE! Muahahahaha!" Once satisfied with his revenge, Sam let him go and walked off, stretching and yawning. Lys slid off of the table onto a chair, almost missing and collapsing onto the floor. He caught his breath and wiped his eyes, giving Sam a look of mock irritation.

"You arse."

"Come now, dear, you really did bring that upon yourself."

"Yeah, still totally worth it, though. Sam, I wish you could have seen your face just then, oh wow. You were totally into it for a moment."

"I think I get the idea. No wonder you got so much ass in college. You are downright hypnotic."

The winter was mostly uneventful; Lys was successful in continuing to turn a profit, despite the hostile outdoor conditions, and sat down with Robin and Pierre one day to sketch out plans for spring, as he now had the funds, confidence, and skill to expand some of his projects.

The band performed a second time in the city, this time to a bigger and more enthusiastic audience, and wrote a couple of new songs to try at the next gig in early spring. As promised, Allen had showed up again, this time bringing along the old group of friends that Lys had occasionally hung out with. This last bit of closure and re-opening of friendships put Lys in a good mood for a week, and Elliott found himself somewhat pleasantly worn out at the end of the day. (Well, at night, anyway.)

The Feast of the Winter Star was the highlight of the season near the middle of winter, and Lys and Elliott enjoyed the company and community of the town getting together to celebrate in the town plaza. Every house in town was decorated with festive lights, bringing welcome illumination to the lengthy darkness of that time of year. They took the time to reconnect and chat with others in town that they hadn't been able to catch up with often. Evelyn and Lewis were particularly delighted to have the opportunity to converse, and sat with Lys and hot cups of cocoa next to the bonfire, relating the stories that they remembered of his grandfather, as well as the old tradition of the Mermaid Pendant, which earned him no small amount of good-natured ribbing. Elliott returned from talking to Leah, who neither of them had seen in months, busy as ever with art projects. The both of them sat with Lys, Evelyn, and Lewis, exchanging stories and the nature of their work, as well as things in general.

"So, what are you two getting each other, or is it a secret?" Leah asked, blowing on her cocoa to cool it. At the twin smiles from the two men, she sighed and shook her head. "You two are already that irritatingly cute couple who doesn't get each other anything because you two don't need anything, right?"

"Got it in one," Lys replied, squeezing Elliott's hand, "we've got everything we need right now, and anyway, we've been busy with so many things that there's really been no time to shop or make anything."

"The internet is always open, y'know."

"That is true, but the point remains. We are currently content, and the company of others and each other is enough to satisfy us for now."

A little while later, once the others had departed and they were alone by the fire again, Lys nudged Elliott and grinned.

"I'm totally full of it, love. Check your tablet, I bought a couple of books that you were looking for and dropped them onto it when you weren't looking. There may or may not be anything naughty."

"Oh really now," Elliott chuckled, not sure if Lys was joking or not.

"Like Heisenberg's Uncertainty Principle, the only way to collapse the waveform is to observe it, so go have a look when you get home."

"You have been chatting with Allen again, I see. Well, you are not the only one who was speaking mistruths. Here, your current hair ribbon is a bit tattered and frayed. I thought that you could use something a bit nicer, particularly now that you're a professional and need to look the part." Lys examined the new length of ribbon, in matte green so dark it was almost black, as Elliott removed the old one. "I thought that this color would look rather nice with your hair. You really should get a couple of others, I'm amazed that you've only had the one this entire time." Lys reached back to brush it with his fingers, making a mental note to have a look in the mirror when he got home.

"I'm rubbish at taking care of myself and you know it, love, especially for things so easily out of sight and therefore out of mind. I'll have to look for a few others soon, thanks for the suggestion." Elliott's kisses were a welcome warmth in the nighttime chill, and for a few minutes they watched the night sky with the bonfire to their backs.

"It looks like we found something that the other person could use after all," Lys noted, "I guess we're getting good at this 'relationship' thing, hunh?"

"That we are, and I look forward to seeing how it changes and evolves. And how we will as well."

• Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Hahaha I dunno if I'd call them "good at relationships" just yet but they're getting closer each chap! I ripped at "s**t's on fire yo". Despite all his shenanigans, looks like Sam isn't opposed to a little male bonding himself. That, or Lys is just too darn charming to pass up. Column A, Column B :rofl:

• Risukage

I've seen that quote/meme in a few places I frequent and just knew that it would be something that he'd say, and therefore he had to say it. Also, from his and Haley's miscellaneous dialogue, they mention that they're not very good cooks, and it amuses me to think that when together they're exponentially horrible.

And yes, it's a bit of both columns; it's hard to pass up the offer for any kind of affection from Lys, because he's just so warm and cuddly (and is good at reading people), but he never pushes anyone's boundaries. Sam is comfortable with himself and physical contact, and enjoys pushing boundaries (and proverbial buttons) to see what happens. Therefore, it's not that they're interested in or attracted to each other, it's that it usually becomes a big game of "I want to see what's going to happen/what the other person will do," because most of the time, it's REALLY funny. Lys does it for the smiles, Sam does it for "teh lulz."

Gabaw, Alkanthe and ApertureGaming011 like this.
                          • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

So Sam is confirmed for chaotic neutral. (Or would it be Evil...)

Which would make Lys chaotic good??

Gabaw and Risukage like this.
                            • Risukage

...That's...actually pretty accurate. CN and CG, yeah. :D The crazy Bard with a Charisma stat greater than should be allowed, and the finesse Fighter that sometimes appears to have used Wisdom as his dump stat. :p

EDIT: Bloody hell, Rogue, not Fighter, FFS. Don't post before coffee, you look like a twit on the internet if you do. ...Well, more so than usual.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
                              • Risukage

//Good Monday morning! Today we're just taking care of some final threads and ideas, as well as giving Sam and Sebastian one last opportunity for sweet, sweet revenge for Lys's shenanigans before the story ends. Just a bit of a segue into spring and some fluff, but not too much, and a bit of self-discovery and -reflection, 'cause character development is awesome.//

One early spring morning was chilly but bright, with no snow left to be seen anywhere but very little green in its place. Alex rubbed his arms for warmth, grinning broadly as Lys waved to him as he jogged up.

"Stuffing cold out here, mate, fortunately we didn't lose too much over the winter, but damn, it was hard to get proper cardio done here in town."

"Yeah. These last few weeks have been tough but good. But I've also got practice three times a week at university, so even if we backslid a bit I'll pick it up pretty fast."

"Well, I've never been interested in sports, but I'll be sure to come see you on the field. You've done more for me than I can think of and I'll find a way to pay it back someday."

"Actually, that reminds me, Haley's birthday is tomorrow but I'm still not sure what to do for her." Lys scratched his nose as he thought, then grinned brightly.

"I think I've got an idea. Drop by the farm in the morning after our run tomorrow and I'll get you set up." Alex looked visibly relieved and Lys chuckled at this. "That's the spirit, now let's get going, the sooner we start the sooner I get to dive into a warm shower."

"And since you came from the farm, I assume that means that Elliott will join you for it," Alex teased, starting off. Lys matched his smile and pace.

"An added benefit! He's good at warming me up quite fast, y'know."

"I'll take your word for it. And if you've got breath to brag about shagging your boyfriend after a run then you've got breath left to run. Keep up!"

The next morning Elliott strolled up the road to Lys's house, still wearing his warm winter coat and holding an umbrella to ward off the spring drizzle that cleaned the already-crisp air and slightly warmed the weather, due to the inversion layer provided by the thick clouds. Lys had left his cabin several hours earlier to meet with Alex for their run, and was by now likely working on his morning chores. He took his time on his walk, enjoying the fresh air; he was very partial to rainy weather of all sorts. He simply liked water in nearly any form, really, and his home next to the ocean was particularly delightful. Humming one of their songs to himself, he walked up to the house, wondering if Lys was inside or not, and gasped to see him standing outside of all places. Face to the sky and thumbs in his belt loops, Lys stood with his back to Elliott, who gripped the umbrella a bit more firmly as he transitioned to a careful run.

"Lysander! Are you alright?" The greeting was unexpected, as Lys jumped in surprise before turning around and flashing his usual cheerful, warm smile.

"Hey love, didn't hear you walk up, I was lost in thought. It's all good, I was working out here when it started raining and, well, I couldn't be arsed to go in for a coat because I was already damp and in the middle of something, so sod it, I finished my work like this and I'm still out here. I'm all done now, but it's just so nice out, and I was thinking about my first days here and how it's been nearly a year now, and..." He chuckled to himself as Elliott held the umbrella over them both. "Well, you know how I get lost on mental tangents sometimes."

"That I do. I thought that you were fond of warmer weather, not something as cool as this."

"I do. Summer days are the best. That's when I feel alive and have the energy to do anything and everything. But I've always liked rain, too. This kind, you know? That rain in the spring that's cool but brings the water that gives life to everything that comes after it." He extended a hand from under the umbrella, watching the droplets fall onto and drip off of his hand. "I've never seen rain as something to be sad or depressed about, it's always been a sign of a new start and good things to come. Makes sense, or am I just rambling?" Elliott brushed aside a few stray, damp strands of hair as he touched Lys's cheek, smiling but sighing.

"I understand completely, and I feel the same. But I also feel that you are far too cold for my liking. Come, let's get you dry and into warmer garments."

"Works for me, I'm just now starting to feel the chill now that I'm thinking about it. Oh gods, if I get sick again tomorrow I'm going to be completely miffed." Just inside the front door, Lys sat on the bench to remove his boots as Elliott hung up his umbrella and coat. "I'm going to just drop everything right into the wash like this, it's a bit grubby after the planting I've done the last couple of days anyway."

"While you take care of that I will start up a hot drink. Or will you refresh with a shower first?"

"I'm good," Lys replied, leaving the bedroom with fresh, dry clothes in his arms, "I'm just a bit cold but not grimy. Technically, I got a shower out there so I'm actually rather clean at the moment." Elliott had finished preparing a cup of coffee for them both when Lys exited the laundry room, wearing the change of clothes and scrubbing his hair with a towel. He gratefully took the cup from Elliott and sat down at the table when someone knocked on the door.

"I'll get that," Elliott offered, "I wonder who it is."

"It's Alex, he's supposed to drop by." As predicted, it was the athlete, who was grateful to step into the warm home, and same as Elliott, hung up an umbrella and coat.

"Hey Lys. So, what did you have in mind?" At Elliott's curious look Lys gestured to the kitchen counter, standing up to pick up a rather neatly tied bouquet of daffodils and red tulips.

"I recall that she likes these, and I just so happened to be growing them, so lucky for you. Now, I'll send you the number and address for a great restaurant in the city that she'll love." Alex inspected the flowers with optimistic approval as Lys pulled out his phone, and Elliott regarded him with curiosity.

"Where did you have in mind, dear? There are a number of good places that she would find to be excellent."

"Remember that one we were talking about the other day?"

"Oh, yes! That one? Where they-"

"Yeah, and have the-"

"Delightful! A suitable choice, and one that won't break the bank." They both turned to Alex as he broke out in laughter, and he apologized, rubbing his neck.

"Sorry, not laughing at you two, it's just... You're at the 'finishing each others' sentences' stage. It's just neat to actually see that in person. And it's kinda funny to see it so soon. I mean, I guess a year isn't that long, but it's also quite a while in a way. You've come a long way in that time, both of you." Lys sent the information and sat down again, rubbing a thumb up and down the side of his coffee mug.

"I was in a very bad place when I came here, and I really didn't expect anything good to happen. I didn't think I'd be able to support myself or make friends, and I honestly didn't think that I deserved either. I was scared and hurt and was running from everything that I'd done." He felt Elliott brush his hand with his fingers and smiled at the silent support. "I'm glad I was wrong. I took a chance on all of you and I'm so much richer and happier for it. And you all gave me the tools and strength I needed to change and become a better person. If it weren't for all of you I would never have been able to make up with Allen and let go of my past and all of the pain. I'm free, and I can do anything now." Alex reached over to ruffle Lys's hair.

"You're stronger and a better person than you think. All of that was already there, we just helped you see it for yourself. And for what it's worth? I'm glad you knocked me on my ass that day. It knocked a bit of sense into me, too. I'm moving forward for the first time in years, too. And speaking of, I better get going so I can make reservations and get changed into something nice." Lys stood up once more to hug him before he left, grunting at the welcome but back-popping hug that the athlete liked to give. Lys picked up the flowers so Alex could put on and zip up his jacket, handing them over once he had retrieved the umbrella as well. Closing the door behind his cousin, Lys returned to the kitchen, where Elliott wrapped him in a hug, suddenly feeling cuddly and supportive.

"I wonder where things go from here," Lys mused, only partially to himself, arms around Elliott's waist and head on his shoulder, who toyed with a ginger lock of hair as he pondered this.

"Where do you want things to go?"

"I... I'm not quite sure. I'm happy here, right now, content. But that's not to say I don't want things to change. It's like... We're on this journey together, and we're continuing along, and it doesn't feel like we've slowed or stopped, but at the same time, things have felt the same for a while. I don't mind the thought of the journey going in a different direction. At the same time, I'm still content where we are now. Ah, I'm not making any sense at all today," he sighed, squeezing Elliott in a small hug.

"You are eloquent and coherent, and I understand the message that you are trying to convey. I suppose the question that I must now pose is whether you desire a passive change to the situation or one that is derived from a mutually-made decision."

"I'm good with both, love. I just want you, that's all that matters. That's not really an answer, but..." Elliott hugged him again, watching to see what Lys's reaction would be.

"Then you desire my presence more than you have already? That would be difficult short of moving in."

"Well, I have thought of where your piano would go," he laughed, then looked away, trying to hide a flush in his cheeks and a look of embarrassment. Elliott tilted his chin back up to give him a quick peck, amused by Lys's statement.

"I have done the same, but at the same time, I have also wondered where your furniture would fit in my cabin. I think that you win, as you seem to possess more living space than I do."

"True that. Though I think you win on the income front; it sounds like sales of the novel have been doing pretty well."

"Once more I must aver that you have surpassed me; you are generating income from your work here, and it is your name that appears on the cover as well."

"But the money is going to you, so-"

"And I couldn't have done it without you. Let me hear you say it, or I shall be insufferable until you do." Lys sighed in good humor and tucked his hair behind an ear, a habit that Elliott noticed he'd developed when deeply thinking about or getting used to an idea.

"You might not-"

"-Could not."

"Augh, let me give you a little credit for being brilliant! Fine, you couldn't have done it without me. There, happy?"

"Very." He was almost unable to kiss his partner for his giggling, but Lys relaxed into it after a moment.

"Coffee's getting cold," he remarked, yet not quite willing to pull away.

"So it is, but you are warm again."

"Thanks to you. Mm, I was just thinking that I could go for a bit of a snack. I've been trying to learn to cook, y'know, since I've never been good at it, and, well, I want to be able to do that for you. I'm not as bad as Sam or Haley, but if you're willing to put up with the results I've got something I want to try before practice this afternoon."

"Would you like me to aid you or is this a solo endeavor?"

"...I'd like your help." Elliott could feel the effort it took for Lys to make the request, but it wasn't as difficult as it had been in the past, and it didn't sound resigned or defeated. Rather...

"You sound as though you would enjoy my assistance," he smiled, and Lys clumsily reached for and held his hand.

"Yeah, I would. I want to do more with you. We're a good team together, and I need to stop doing everything myself. I'm not alone anymore. I want to be a better person for and with you." He wasn't expecting Elliott to hug him again, or his thoughtful but pleased silence, but he could feel the delight that Elliott radiated.

"You already are."

Sam was the last to arrive, after Abigail and Sebastian, who weren't as bothered by the cool weather as he was. Lys was sitting on the piano bench next to Elliott, working out the piece that Sam was still writing, though he held Resonance instead of the bass. Abigail was seated at the table and busily drawing something new (apparently a commission), and Sebastian sat across from her with his laptop, reviewing notes from their last practice and making separate comments on paper. Flopping into a chair at the table, he dropped his backpack on the floor and rummaged through it, pulling out the sheet music he'd been writing and a soda. Lys stood up and leaned Resonance against the piano to sit next to him, looking over what Sam was spreading out in front of him. He looked over it and tried to give feedback for the new parts that Sam had added, but after a few minutes sighed and put his chin in one hand, poking at the music with a finger in irritation.

"It's been almost a year and I still can't write music. I feel like such a dead weight like that."

"Well, you could always entertain me in the meantime," suggested the spiky-haired musician, tapping a pencil eraser against his lip, "get my creative mojo flowing and all."

"I'm not your personal plaything," Lys yawned, considering raiding Sam's backpack for a soda, the owner of which smirked at him, forgetting the music for a moment.

"Nah, you're Elliott's, and I don't think he shares." Elliott made a noise of amusement and shook his head, looking at the music in front of him and thinking about it before trying a section again.

"It's not that he won't, it's that you're just not good enough to do what I like," sassed Lys right back, idly examining the papers in front of him. Sebastian rolled his eyes but smiled, and stood up to move around the table and reach into Sam's bag for a soda.

"Oh, what, you need something really naughty to-"

"You lack subtlety and a gentle touch," Lys interrupted, continuing to wear the indifferent facade, knowing that he'd have to wait until Sam got bored or distracted with the subject before he'd let it go, "I am far from delicate but you can't just rush things."

"Fine then," grinned his friend, putting his chin in both hands and focusing on him with glee, "what does he have to do to make you all hot and bothered?" Sighing again, Lys heard Elliott chuckle a second time as he made annotations to the music and tried it a bit differently.

"Since I know you won't shut up until I give you a damn answer, I like it when he's touching my ears or neck. There, satisfied now?"

"I dunno, are you?" Lys was confused by Sam's cryptic question before he felt warmth on his neck as light fingers flicked down his shoulder to his collarbone, and someone gently bit the side of his ear. This produced an involuntary reaction; the sort of sound he normally made with a particular person late at night. Turning as red as his hair, he clapped both hands over his mouth as a discordant chord was heard from the piano. Sam very nearly knocked his soda over onto the music, and Abigail leaned back in her chair, trying not to mess up the work she'd done, both of them laughing fit to burst. With a smirk of victory, Sebastian patted Lys on the head and bounced the soda on his palm as he walked back to his chair.

"That's justice for the morning you woke me up a couple of months ago."

"And for me the day you got better from being sick," Sam gasped out between giggles.

"You-! Th- Th- That's something that only Elliott is supposed to hear!" Lys stammered, for once flustered beyond words. He was silenced again when he heard Elliott laughing as well, and turned to see his partner resting his elbow on the piano and a hand over his eyes, trying to hold back but failing completely. He gave all three men unamused glares in turn, hands in fists on his legs, sitting stiffly in his chair. "You should be annoyed, too, love." Elliott got up long enough to pull him over to the piano bench and hug him, though Lys still sat with catlike aloofness.

"That is true, but they have only heard one note of the entire symphony that I can coax from you. In that regard, they have my sympathy for that which they will never know." Lys turned red again, completely without words, but a tiny smile flickered at the corner of his lips as he leaned into Elliott's shoulder.

"I really have nobody to blame but myself for their shenanigans and your current state of confidence, but I'm still going to be annoyed by it all anyway."

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
                                  Gabaw, Alkanthe and Minimanta like this.
                                • Gabaw

Gabaw Spaceman Spiff

Character development wooooooo! Things are wrapping up tight and winding down for Season 1 of R&S. Probably one or two more chaps eh? Revenge is a dish best served piping hot it seems :rofl:

Risukage likes this.
                                  • Ghostly Fox

Ghostly Fox Heliosphere

-snerk- Nothing like some casual ... I don't even know what to call that other than molestation... Well, regardless. Nothing like some casual whatever that was between friends.

Risukage likes this.
                                    • Risukage

Don't let those sweet hazel eyes fool you, he's a cheeky pain in the ass and totally had that coming. Now, in fairness, Sebastian was expecting him to just jump in surprise or give him a dirty look and tell him to knock it off. (Remember the spider incident? :p) But they are good friends, and once Lysander gets over the initial embarrassment he'll have a laugh over it, too. After a few days to a week he'll give them credit for being able to get one over on him so well, because he knows as well they do that he's had that sort of thing coming for a while.

• Risukage

//Right then! Last week was rubbish; lots of drama from friends, my depression came back to kick me in the squishy bits, I got knocked down with allergies from hell for a day, among other things. Thusly, and because I promised a good ending to this story, you lot are going to vomit rainbows today and you will like it. The insulin is in the fridge next to the snacks, I'm not completely heartless.

Despite all that, though, I am delightfully pleased with this chapter; I'm closing out old plot threads, making references and callbacks that I set up MONTHS ago, I got the pacing/blocking just right, and Elliott's monologue is exactly what I was looking for. See you again Friday for the last chapter of R&S! :)//

Mid-spring was warm, with soft breezes that moved the air without chilling it, carrying the fresh scent of things green and growing. Cherry blossom petals danced on the wind, and Lys reached up to catch one out of the air, examining it with a smile before blowing on it to send it spiraling back into the sky. He watched it disappear before walking the line of his garden again, allowing himself the satisfaction of a job well done; the berry bushes had survived the winter and new ones were growing as well. The harvests would be excellent this year. The beginning of the rose hedge brought another smile to his face, and he ran his fingers over the vibrantly-colored blooms, remembering the day that he'd gotten the starters in, and how he'd been correct that Elliott would enjoy planting them with him.

Chuckling, Lys inspected his hands, noticing that the many thorn-scrapes had healed by now; they had been slightly careless and not worn gloves, but there was only the one pair and neither wanted to use them if the other couldn't. It was a vibrant spectra of bright colors; there were deep red ones, naturally, and of course, if one has red there must be white as well. Yellow and orange were present, too, and pink, because it was a rather nice, dusty shade of it. A white and red striped variety stood at the other end of the row, and Lys wondered what other colors and varieties that they should add later. This thought made him laugh as he processed it.

Ha, it comes so easily now, 'us.' What we think, what we like, what we're doing... It's no longer about me, it's about something bigger now, something important and meaningful. I finally feel like I've got a purpose in life.

This thought made him smile again, and he stretched in the morning sunlight, breathing deeply of the smells of his garden, of his work and efforts. Without hurry, he went inside to shower and change. The Flower Dance festival would be starting soon, but he lived closer than most did. He had provided no small amount of the necessary decor for it, which gave him another boost to his ego. It wasn't the first time that he'd contributed to the community, but one of few in which he had done so in such a visible manner and on such a scale.

Humming his song brightly (it was his song now, and he now thought of it that way instinctively), he draped the damp towel over his shoulders as he reached into the closet and was seized by a moment of mischief and amusement. Glancing at old clothes he hadn't worn in some time, he pulled out the khaki-colored cargo pants and undershirt, but instead of one of his regular overshirts, retrieved the long-sleeved forest green one that he'd worn the last year. Dressing briskly, he scrutinized his reflection and laughed in delight; same colors as last year, but a different, more confident style. He rolled up the sleeves of the green shirt above his elbows, put on the guitar pick necklace and bracelets, donned his sunglasses, and was tying his hair back when he looked at his reflection again and let it fall over his shoulders.

One year. I was so scared. Hurt and withdrawn. I almost didn't go out that day. I still remember that reflection, hiding behind those glasses and the fake smile, trying not to be noticed, still running from everything because I didn't know who to trust, or if I even should.

He stood up a bit straighter, facing himself in the glass, examining himself on the inside as well as the outside.

I no longer hate myself. I'm no longer afraid of what I am and what I'd done. One year... I guess time really does heal all wounds. What will I be next year?

Reaching out, he touched the glass, and the physical contact somehow solidified his thoughts and memories, and for a moment he saw the old face that he'd worn that year ago. Tracing the scar on his neck, he felt the pain of that memory and accepted it, letting it become a part of himself, another stone in the foundation of his identity. The pain faded away, leaving only one thought: this is me. For good or bad, for all that I have done, this is me, and I accept that. It's okay...

Smiling at himself, he stepped back from the mirror, tying his hair and grabbing his keys and phone. He laced up his boots with practiced efficiency and left the house, giving Xander a quick back scratch as he set off south to the Cindersap Forest. An odd thought flickered and he was suddenly glad that he'd gone with the outfit that he had, because the green shirt wouldn't likely button properly around him anymore; the year of work on the farm and training with Alex had put inches on his shoulders and torso, but he was able to wear it openly without issue. Inspired by the warmth of the day and the prospect of a good time with friends, he sang his song as he walked, feeling so very alive.

At the festival grounds, he waved to Lewis and Pierre, who returned the gesture, but continued on, as they were busy and he'd already done all he needed to the day before. Following the year-old memory, he wandered the same path he'd taken, viewing it all again through new eyes. He found the benches in the same place that he had before and sat down, ankles crossed, arms hooked over the back, and reclining with comfortable ease. Only a few minutes later he grinned as he heard Abigail get his attention as she approached.

"I still have a hard time believing that that's your natural hair color."

"Well, nobody believes that that's yours, so it balances out," Sam quipped. Sebastian was right behind him, and flashed Lys a smile that he seemed to wear more often now, that always just touched his eyes, bringing light to their deep violet color.

"And you're still as short as ever, while he's one of the tallest of us, so I guess that balance is maintained as well, hunh?"

"...One day I'll hit my growth spurt..." he grumbled, looking more annoyed than hurt, which faded when Penny took his hand.

"If you were any taller it would be hard for you to hug me, so that's all right, isn't it?" Sam turned a bit pink at this suggestion, but smiled shyly and nodded. Haley and Alex were the next to last to arrive, and Lys kept it to himself that unlike last year Sam's focus was exclusively and happily on Penny, not Haley.

"Hey sweetie, looking good. Ohmigosh, aren't you wearing..."

"It appears that he is," supplied Elliott, noticing the same thing that Haley had, "though it is not the same style as last year the color matches. No, I am partially wrong, the shirt is the same, but naught else. How tasteful and stylish, dear." Lys flowed up and off of the bench into Elliott's arms, hugging his partner and having a laugh once he noticed that he wasn't the only one in the same colors as the year previous; the same familiar slacks and waistcoat with a tailored shirt in charcoal and crimson.

"We're sentimental dweebs, aren't we?"

"I think that we have a good reason to look upon today fondly."

"True that. And you're fashionably late as well as regularly fashionable."

"I had an errand to run before I could make my way here, though it was en route." He and Lys turned to Haley and Abigail, who were sharing a laugh, and they apologized for the interruption.

"Sorry, sweetie, we were just remembering last year, too, and how you just launched right into that Avonbard piece together. You just synched right up. It was so cool to see professionals in action like that, even though only a few of us actually appreciated your skill." Haley shot a meaningful glance at Sam, who shrugged without shame.

"It was brilliantly awful, wasn't it?" Lys asked, "Which one was it... I know that look, love, are you feeling theatrical?" Almost unable to keep a straight face, Elliott put an arm around Lys's waist, who barely smothered the beginning of a giggle fit.

“Our bond is something true and strong, so tenuous but lasting long. As soft as breath, as hard as steel, there is naught else that I would feel." Clearing his throat and shifting mental gears to his "performer" mode, he put a hand on Elliott's shoulder, gesturing broadly with the other.

“Warm and gentle like breaking dawn, I pale like dusk when you are gone. But like dawn’s light you shine once more, and with your touch my heart does soar.” Their audience began to chortle at this, and both men struggled to stay in-character. Elliott laced his fingers with Lys's, enjoying the silly moment immensely.

“Though misunderstood and oft-maligned, our destinies are intertwined. They know not what it is we share, though I know for certain they do not care.” Years of theater work was the only thing keeping Lys focused and therefore the both of them from breaking into laughter. He grabbed Elliott's collar, pulling him closer.

“Then just for now I’ll hold you tight, if you’ll permit to stay the night. Our passions burning pure and hot, we find the climax we’ve so long sought." He allowed himself to finally drop the mask and grinned, winking. "So, your place or mine?" Everyone broke down into amused laughter, and for a few minutes they were unable to speak.

"Oh wow, I am so glad I wore waterproof makeup today," Abigail gasped, "hashtag crying!" Elliott dabbed at his eyes with a handkerchief and offered it to Lys.

"It amazes even me that anyone can take his work seriously. It is delightfully absurd and bombastic, and still manages to find popularity despite its grandiose prose."

"Damn if I know, love, but that was proper funny."

"Yeah," Sam grinned, "you two are an amazing pair of lesbians." Lys doubled over at this, reaching out to Elliott for support, who almost needed it himself. Once everyone had gotten control of themselves, Lys checked his phone for the time.

"Looks like you all need to get going in another ten minutes or so to get ready." Alex folded his arms behind his head and looked at Lys curiously.

"Why didn't you volunteer to participate this year? Last year I understand, but you've been here long enough that you're part of the town."

"True, but a few reasons. First, to be honest, it's a bit of a traditional dance, and it might look a bit weird with Elliott and I together. We'll mess with tourists at the Luau instead, so Lewis doesn't have an aneurysm 'cause we crashed another festival. Second, I kinda wanted to have today to just think. I'll always remember it fondly because this was when things started to turn around and get better for the first time." He took Elliott's hand almost without thinking, enjoying the old memories. Then he gave them his cheekiest grin. "And lastly, I'd wear that white dress because it would be hilarious, and I'd make it look better than any of you because I'm hot like that, but I'm just too nice to do that to Haley." He made the sassy z-snap gesture, to Haley and Abigail's amusement, and Penny giggled cutely behind her hands. Elliott squeezed Lys's hand again before adjusting his waistcoat.

"Before everyone departs I would ask an audience of you."

"Mm? What's on your mind, love?"

"You are." The atmosphere changed, from jovial to intrigued, Lys most of all. Elliott looked a bit distant for a moment, seeking the words that he wanted.

"For years I drifted, alone and without guidance, and in this one year I have been gifted with unparalleled companionship and inspiration." His smile was different than Lys was used to; it was always soft and honest, but something about it this time was more determined and decisive. "I found a spark of fire, so dim and fragile that any breeze could extinguish it, but I reached out to it all the same and found it warm and welcoming despite its faint glimmer. As it brought me strength that spark grew and flourished, and with it together I achieved my dream, and that spark is now a brilliant flame of hope." This was an unusually specific but eloquent speech, and Lys was flattered but confused by its purpose. Then something clicked.

Wait, you aren't...

"Now, selfishly, I want to keep that fire for myself, so that I may guide and empower it further. No longer a moth to a flame, I will be the beacon upon which you can dance and bring your light to the world."

You are...

He pulled a small box out of his waistcoat pocket and pressed it into Lys's hands.

Elliott...

Lys could hear his heart pound in his ears as he carefully removed the lid. Inside was the familiar rounded-triangle shape of a guitar pick, and his eyes widened as he recognized the material as the shell that he'd found on the beach that winter but forgotten about until now.

This is...

It was delicately engraved with the carving of a rose and a sunflower, stems twined, the lines delicately inked with color, and was pierced and strung on a waxed leather cord like the one he always wore.

You're really...

Hypnotized by the pendant, Lys felt Elliott take his hand in both of his, and looked up to see his partner kneeling, his smile now radiant.

Love...

"Lysander Erik von Morgensonne, will you marry me?"

For a moment time froze and everything was in a perfect state of clarity that Lys would remember for years to come; their friends as they realized what was happening, the cherry blossoms on the wind, Elliott's smile... That smile, Elliott already knew the answer, and Lys knew what he'd say: Let me hear it. Lys's vision blurred with tears for a moment as he felt his throat tighten, almost unable to form the word.

"Yes."

Lys was vaguely aware of his friends, but all he could see and hear was his partner- no, fiancé- as he removed the pendant from the box. Holding aside his hair, Lys almost swayed on his feet as Elliott slipped it over his head and carefully adjusted the length of the cord, letting it sit just above the other necklace, nestled in the hollow of his throat. He finally found his voice as he wiped away tears with the side of his hand.

"You silly, magnificent, wonderful, romantic man..." Elliott put the box back into his pocket before wrapping Lys in a hug warmer and stronger than he could ever recall.

"Because you have inspired it in me." They staggered as Sam impacted them with a face-splitting grin, hugging them around the waist, which was balanced out by Abigail doing the same on the other side. Haley and Penny were sighing and giggling with delight about just how sweet and romantic it all was, handkerchiefs out and wiping away tears of sympathetic joy. Alex clapped Elliott on the back, complimenting his style, and Sebastian squeezed Lys's shoulder with a silent smile.

"C'mon, Sebby, show a bit more solidarity for your buddy," Sam laughed, releasing his friends. Sebastian almost gave him his usual, "not-amused" look, but caught himself and shook his head.

"Y'know what? You're right, Sam. I'm happy for you, dude." He hugged Lys, who was almost too startled to return it. "Congrats, 'little brother.' And you theater types are so weird, but damn if this wasn't pretty cool." It was Elliott's turn to wear a smile of mischief.

"Well, I found the timing too perfect to pass up, as he did say something about a white dress."

Lys was unable to speak for several minutes from laughter.

• ApertureGaming011

ApertureGaming011 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

...is it really going to end at chapter 64? *sad violin music intensifies*