1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED NPC Killer 1.0

Kills NPC's nearby one sweep at a time!

1. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

2. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

... Nothing happens when I 'sweep' (i.e. click) on NPCs?

Am I supposed to be doing more than just sweeping? X'D

3. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

it should be working

you can't kill all NPC's though, some are unkillable, but e.g. you can kill the NPC's on the outpost that are walking around

otherwise try deposing the sweeper, restart the game and make it anew, or check the logfile for errors

Crusism likes this.
  4. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Tried that. Also, already tried re-installing mod along with starting a new game and trying the NPC killer in that game.

On my end, it doesn't kill any NPC - including those in the outpost and those in randomly generated villages - as I've tested it on a varied sum of NPCs wandering around. All I do is just... Sweep. lol.

What's supposed to happen as I sweep?

Originally, I was testing it to use it to NPC kill spawned crew members for hire (to avoid having them clutter the world I spawned them in and to be able to choose the look of the crew members).

This did not work; does this work on your end? ._.

To add, how do I check the logfile?

5. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Okay, what should happen is that they are killed (they get "despawned" what looks like they get teleported away).
    How did you get the Sweeper? Did you buy it at the anvil or at the tabula rasa?
    Also you can try this, while ingame open the chat and type "/admin", that gives you admin rights. With that, try it again and see if it works now. When you are finished don't forget to type again "/admin" to turn it off.
    I got one or two reports that it didn't work for people, but those sadly didn't give me any details.
    It works for me, so sadly I don't know why it doesn't work for some.

You can find the logfile in the storage folder in your Starbound folder. To find your Starbound folder you can rightclick on the game entry in steam and choose open local files.
    Try the sweeper out, then check the logfile for any error messages.

Crusism likes this.
  6. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Both. X'D
    I got the NPCkiller broom through the anvil first and then I got through Tabula Rasa to see if there were inconsistencies, but both did not work.

Alright! =)
    I'll re-install the mod and then do this when I get back from work, and then I'll update you!
    I'll also try to isolate the mod alone (i.e. move away all other mods from my mods folder) to see if it might be an incompatibility issue as to why the NPCkiller broom isn't doing anything.

7. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Hi Lornlynx,
    Firstly, I am so sorry for taking so long to come back to you about this as my work ended up dominating my soul for this week.

Alright; I've done the testing and, basically in a step-by-step, this is what I've done (which should be recorded into the starbound.log attached to this post as I am unsure which part of it to quote here due to a lack of expertise on my end); however, please note that my copy of Starbound is from GOG and not of Steam.
    1. Installed NPCKiller
    2. Went in-game and warped to my 'testing' planet (at this moment, I was already in admin mode).
    3. Crafted NPCKiller via 'Tabula Rasa'.
    4. Spawned a villager and then swept him with the NPCKiller - using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    5. Killed villager.
    6. Warped to Outpost
    7. Searched for a random NPC and then swept him with the NPCKiller - using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    8. Turned admin mode off.
    9. Swept the same NPC with the NPCKiller- using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    10. Warped back to my 'testing planet'.
    11. Crafted NPCKiller via 'Anvil'.
    12. Turned admin mode on.
    13. Spawned a villager and then swept him with the NPCKiller - using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    14. Killed villager.
    15. Warped to Outpost.
    16. Searched for a random NPC and then swept him with the NPCKiller - using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    17. Turned admin mode off.
    18. Swept the same NPC with the NPCKiller- using both left and right mouse buttons (nothing happens).
    19. Closed game (End of Testing).

To add after this testing (i.e. the following is not in the starbound.log, I believe), I have repeated steps 7, 8 and 9 while restarting the game (i.e. turning the game off and on) at each step; again, nothing happens.

However, I have not tried to isolate the mod alone in my mods folder (i.e. to have NPCKiller as the only mod in my mods folder) yet as, if so, I would need to create a new character to test NPCKiller since my current character depends on certain mods inside my current mods folder.

Please do let me know if I should test isolating NPCKiller in my mods folder and then making a new character - testing NPCKiller alone for more data to work on in fixing this and to be sure of possible compatibility issues. I wouldn't mind testing this when I have the time.

Regardless, I hope this helps in fixing this.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  8. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

Yes, I couldn't find any issues in the log or by your extensive description.
    The only thing another mod could do is actually changing/overwriting the npc logic files that include the suicide option, which the sweeper calls upon.
    So yes, it would be of use if you could try the mod alone with a new character. Just be sure that you don't load your old characters while having the mods uninstalled as it might break objects.
    Maybe you can limit it down to mods that change npc or ai stuff.
    I can only tell you that the "Enemies are not stupid" mod is not at fault, since I have this one installed myself and the sweeper still works.

Crusism likes this.
  9. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Alright!
    After some testing, I can confirm that there is absolutely nothing wrong with NPCKiller and how it works with Starbound on my side as I've isolated and tested NPCKiller alone and - *Hurrah!* - It Works and Does More Than Sweeping! =)

Sadly, after an hour of testing mods individually with NPCKiller, I have found the culprit that NPCKiller has a compatibility issue with, which stops NPCKiller from working: 'Active Stealth Module'

Active Stealth Module
    http://community.playstarbound.com/resources/active-stealth-module.2885/

I say 'Sadly' because I really love 'Active Stealth Module'. T_T

Is there a way to provide compatibility support for NPCKiller to work with Active Stealth Module?

I really love NPCKiller's functionality since it makes spawning, testing and cleaning very convenient, but I use Active Stealth Module more its gameplay mechanic. T_T

lornlynx likes this.
  10. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

That's good to hear!
    I will check the mod and see. There probably isn't something from my side I can do, but you can inform the author of the compatibility issue or I can find a quick fix and you might be able to change it for yourself.

edit: okay, I determined the issue, it seems that the creator of the mod built upon an old basis of bmain.lua that didn't include the suicide handler, and forgot to change it when it got added with a new release

I will inform him of the change and meanwhile mention the compatibility issue with the mod.
    You could change it yourself if you don't want to wait for the author to update the stealth module (or in the rare case that he wouldn't at all), by unpacking the mod and opening the npcs/bmain.lua file with an editor, then adding this codeblock:
    Code:
    message.setHandler("suicide", function ()
          status.setResource("health", 0)
        end)

into the init function, best directly under the notify messagehandler, so at line 65 maybe.

Thank you for your help!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
    Crusism likes this.
  11. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

Thank you too for staying with me in this; I can see this to be frustrating - perhaps - to go through. ><

Thank you so much for this as well! It does matter a lot. =)

I don't mind waiting, but I went ahead and gave this a shot anyhow. X'D

In to report, I did the following, based exactly on the instructions you gave me.
    1. I unpacked 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe).pak' (outside my mods folder; in a newly created folder dedicated to the unpacking) through using the 'ModPackHelper_v0.10.bat' and received in turn the unpacked 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe)' in the form of a folder.
    2. I navigated into the folder and found the 'bmain.lua' you mentioned under the 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe)\npcs' subfolder.
    3. I opened the 'bmain.lua' with Notepad++.
    4. Using Notepad++, I went to line 65 of the 'bmain.lua' and then copy-pasted the code you provided (attached an image below of what it looked like on my end after copy-pasting).
    Untitled.png
    5. After this, I saved the 'bmain.lua' and then copied the entire 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe)' folder into my mods folder (in this, I've also made sure that the 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe).pak' was not present in the mods folder while the rest of my other mods were).
    6. I went in-game to test the results with NPCKiller.

The results are as followed.
    1. The NPCKiller now works on spawned NPCs (tested on spawned villagers and spawned airship captains).
    2. The NPCKiller now works on spawned enemy NPCs (tested on spawned cultists and spawned bandits).
    3. The NPCKiller now works on natural (i.e. procedurally-generated) NPCs (tested on the villagers of a random new planet's Glitch village).
    4. The NPCKiller now works on outpost NPCs (tested on the closest NPC).
    5. However, surprisingly, the NPCKiller does not work on spawned Crew Members (tested on all types/classes/jobs). This is contrasting to the earlier testing - without 'Active Stealth Module v1.62' in the mods folder - where the NPCKiller worked on spawned Crew Members in the same way as everything else: spawned and not spawned NPCs.

With this,
    Any idea on what makes the NPCKiller not work on spawned Crew Members, and is there any way to make the NPCKiller work on spawned Crew Members again?

Regardless,
    I can wait for the compatibility fix on 'Active Stealth Module v1.62 (Cheerful Giraffe)', and I am open to testing more things to solve this in the meantime. =D

lornlynx likes this.
  12. lornlynx

lornlynx Cosmic Narwhal

The reason is probably that there also got other stuff added to the bmain.lua which is needed for the suicide handler to work for the crew members.
    Just watching through, there is a bit of stuff that's missing in his lua that the new one has, e.g. a stuck check function and other missing lines.
    If you want to try around, you can unpack the assets and compare his bmain.lua to the original assets bmain.lua, and add the missing stuff to his on your own.

And thanks again for the detailed answer, if everyone would report issues as extensive as you, it would safe us modders a lot of headaches :p

PS: Also, if you plan to fully remove crew members, you need to make a small hack, otherwise they get spawned immediately again. This is mostly to get rid of crew member clones, some people still suffer of, you can find out more info here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/761746889/343786745999408953/

Crusism likes this.