Modding Help Beginner's Guide to XNB Node and Graphics Editing

Discussion in 'Mods' started by cure, Mar 20, 2016.

1. zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

.yaml file is always left over for me, too. I just toss them in a random zip folder in case I need it later to repack/pack something again (beats having to extract again just for that file). You can delete it, if you like. No harm.

If it was saying that the .yaml couldn't be found, did ya transfer it from the desktop to the folder you were packing in?

• BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

• Efa43

Efa43 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So I tried editing some of the walls and floors. The object thumbnails show up correctly in the game but when I try to apply one to a wall, it looks like the original wallpaper that I replaced. Any ideas what's causing that?

• zcsnightmare

zcsnightmare Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I haven't tried retexturing those yet, but I do believe there are several .xnb's (two or three I think) of wallpapers and flooring. Possible one is just for how it looks in your inventory/hotbar.

But....I'm not positive. Maybe someone with more knowledge and experience can tell ya for sure. If ya don't get an answer anytime soon, you can always grab any files that say wallpaper and/or flooring (make a backup) and make a minor change to see if that takes in-game. I'd imagine they should be in TileSheets. But I could be wrong. Usually am ;)

Sorry, I'm not home to have my PC handy so going off crude memory.

• Efa43

Efa43 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Ok, maybe I figured it out. There is a wallsandfloors.xnb in both Content and in Content/Maps and I only replaced one of them.

Thanks for the help!

BoffoBoy and zcsnightmare like this.
          • BoffoBoy

BoffoBoy Existential Complex

Desert Tiles is like that too, a copy of the same name in content and maps

• hathor

hathor Seal Broken

I followed all the instructions, but for some reason my trash mod graphics did not update. I replaced the broken glasses, broken cd, and soggy newspaper with water bottle, styrofoam cup, and tin can. The text descriptions updated properly but the graphics are still the old graphics.

Attached Files:

• forrpa

forrpa Void-Bound Voyager

Oh ok thank you for reply! Its not missing anymore, I figured it out :)

• taintedwheat

taintedwheat Master Astronaut

I don't have any problem only replacing content's wallsndfloorz...do you really need to do both? O:

• Lurdiak

Lurdiak Space Hobo

I'm running into an issue on step 3. No matter what I tell it to extract, it keeps telling me "The system cannot find the path specified" (or something to that effect, my OS is not in english). I think I followed the instructions up to that point, here's a screenshot of my folder.

Attached Files:

• Lurdiak

Lurdiak Space Hobo

Ok, I resolved it.

• Djpuppyandfriends

Djpuppyandfriends Void-Bound Voyager

i have tried everything but nothing wants to work for me all it keeps saying is this

upload_2016-5-25_21-18-18.png

• Juju Bee

Juju Bee Space Hobo

I (think I) have everything right, but when I open xnb_node it flickers open and then closes immediately. I don't know what to do. (Also, I think I got lost because it felt like a bit was skipped in the instructions.)

• cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Are you sure you have a x64 bit cpu? It may be in your "Program Files" folder and not your "Program Files (x86)"

You can also confirm the location of your installation by opening up steam. right clicking on Stardew Valley, Properties>Local Files>Browse Local Files...

Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
                            • cure

cure Big Damn Hero

Try going through the instructions again. You never need to open xnb_node.cmd through windows explorer, but run it through the command prompt using xnb_node extract after navigating to the folder you have it saved in.

• Hoppie

Hoppie Void-Bound Voyager

hey did you get that fixed?? im having the same problem

• Hoppie

Hoppie Void-Bound Voyager

help?

Attached Files:

• Jinxiewinxie

Jinxiewinxie Farmer Fashionista

in your screenshot you are typing

xnb_node.cmd extract content contentunpacked

when you should be typing
                                    xnb_node extract content contentunpacked

(lose the ".cmd" part)

• Swiftpaw22

Swiftpaw22 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Anyone know of any native XNB extractor tools for Linux? I'm trying to merge some XNB files and while I could simply truncate them together, I'm not sure if that'd work depending on any special file structures, plus there could be conflicting info in them. I tried XNBNode in WINE and it errored out, probably issues with .NET Framejerk lol.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
                                      • scrptrx

scrptrx Void-Bound Voyager

hmm, I will probably need this in the future. my guess is the only way to do it on a linux machine is with a virtual windows (not WINE).
                                        Have you tried this person's BAT files?
                                        http://community.playstarbound.com/...g-discussion-redux.109131/page-6#post-2837587