Overpowered Player Assets

Discussion in 'Games' started by Xylia, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I actively used melee weapons so I spent most fixing my own axe. The rest I kinda stockpiled in my house, just like what I do in Starbound! And yeah, the lobotomites started carrying so many of them, though I found more of the walking carcasses in their fancy suits than I did lobotomites.

The LAER gun was rather dissapointing to me and I never used it, even with my energy weapons character. I dunno.

As for snipers, I never use them in games, at least, not when they're for actual sniping. M98B with with RDS in BF or Lebensauger with Military RDS in Payday 2, woo!

2. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Playstyle choice I guess. I'm the guy always sneaking around and if I can find a silent weapon, I'm gonna use it. In Skyrim, you'd always see me taking out whole rooms of bandits by shooting an arrow then immediately ducking back around the corner, waiting for them to relax and then shoot them again, etc. lol.

In Fallout, I tend to go for a rather high-damage long-range weapon and sneak around. If I can't kill it before it can kill me, then I whip out something like an assault rifle or anything else that can fire fast to spray it to death. Obviously, that's once you get far enough into the game where that's a viable option -- I don't view the very early game machineguns to be viable. Too much ammo usage for too little power. 9mm and 10mm rounds are better used in pistols than SMGs.

3. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Ah yes. Sneak attack damage is always amazing in Bethesda games. Unfortunately I:
    A: Cannot aim for doodle.
    B: Have the amazing tendency to bullrush everything.
    C: Am very easily startled and god forbid I'm trying to do something sneaky and someone or something walks up behind me. I'd launch the mouse/controller.
    D : Like explosive/fire based weaponry
    Hence why I don't bother sneaking in games. Assassin's Creed is probably the sneakiest game I've ever played and that says something. Well, AC 1 was good enough. AC 3 was utter rubbish and I regret buying it.

This is represented in games. I actually had to play F:NV sensibly the first time because I made an explosion-based character. And when you're emptying multiple clips with the grenade machinegun you don't want to rush in.
    First characters in TES games are always heavy melee. (Nord with war axe.)

Long story short:
    I'm jelly of your ability to sneak.

------------------------------------------------

To add another weapon to the list:
    BF3's Pancor Jackhammer
    Jesus that thing was OP. Especially with frag rounds.

4. LazerRay

LazerRay Cosmic Narwhal

Speaking of sneaking, I'm also very good at it in Bethesda games, when you can clear an entire raider camp in Fallout 3 with only the dart gun with out anyone being alerted (I also use the right skills and perks for this), or harassing mobs in Oblivion dungeons by hitting them with a DOT based spell and they never find me (Again I have the right skills maxed and this time I have items that gain 100% or more chameleon).

Very high sneak is required in Fallout 3 to score the Psychotic Prankster achievement, since you have to place a frag mine or grenade in someone's inventory (Raiders have the best reactions with this).

Basically like Xylia, I prefer the "Sneak and Snipe" play style, it actually more fun for me and I avoid getting overwhelmed by mobs in games.

MilkCalf likes this.
  5. Vilespring

Vilespring Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oblivion, where with maxed stealth you could push people off cliffs, and never noticed that they were being pushed around.

MilkCalf likes this.
  6. adimetro11

adimetro11 Spaceman Spiff

Hey, let's stop talking about playstyles and get back to topic!

Oh, and another thing...

Vandalier class from Vandal Hearts.

7. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

That was already mentioned, lol.

8. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Here's another OP weapon from games: Basically any weapon when you use *Counter* in Assassin's Creed.

MilkCalf likes this.
  9. Tyler Tenebrae

Tyler Tenebrae Pangalactic Porcupine

Alucard Shield + Shield Rod.

10. adimetro11

adimetro11 Spaceman Spiff

Thread is dead so o have to revive it

Omachi from Sengoku Rance.

11. HueHuey

HueHuey Parsec Taste Tester

Elder Scrolls
    With alchemy and enchanting, everything.
    In Skyrim, werewolf sprint attack spam.

Dark Souls
    Dark Beads and Pursuers in PvP.

Terraria
    Last Prism with mana regen potion and Nebula armor. About 11k constant DPS per target, with unlimited penetration.
    Also S.D.M.G. with Vortex armor and either luminite or chlorophyte bullets, around 8k DPS, and either piercing or homing bullets.

In PvP (where many servers block the top weapons) my most OP is stealth sniper: Vortex stealth mode and all menacing acessories to get 100% critical in stealth mode and the rest for damage, ruthless sniper rifle with luminite bullets, familiar clothes in armor vanity slots, solar wings in the first accessory vanity slot to switch for quick movement, beetle wings below it to hide them as they are smaller and most importantly silent when flying, Shiny Stone to switch with the least important damage accessory to heal quickly and hide the health bar, Yoraiz0r's Scowl to hide the eyes, black skin and shadow dye everywhere. Also rainbow crystal staff to attack anywhere on screen, can be quickly used after switching from zoomed sniper rifle to also attack offscreen.
    Undetectable, can zoom, 1-hits anyone not using life force potion, and 2 hits for anything else, can do low damage anywhere.

Arma 3
    Ghillie+MMG/GM6 with APDS+Nightstalker+Titan
    Just typing this hurt.

Il-2 1946
    Ki-84

12. Gotcha!

Gotcha! Pangalactic Porcupine

Ratchet and Clank: A Crack in Time -
    The RYNO V.
    Like the salesman says, just squeeze the trigger and an endless barrage of bullets and homing missiles fly out while it is playing 1812 Overture. It is magnificent.

Doom/Doom 2 -
    The BFG 9000. Oh no, a room full of demons. Can't deal with this shit right now. *pulls trigger* *room is cleared* Can often kill a Baron of Hell with one shot if fired at point blank range.

Terraria -
    Last Prism. It doesn't matter if you're fighting off players or hordes of enemies, this thing will wreck anything it's aimed at. It's my favourite tool when farming for money in the Pumpkin Moon event, where I just stand in one spot firing the prism into dozens of bosses in the final wave, where their dropped hearts keep me alive and their damage keeps my mana full.

Fallout 3/4 -
    The MIRV. Sure, ammunition is hard to come by, making it a situational kind of thing, but no one can deny whatever it hits will be reduced to tiny little gibs. That includes you if you're standing too close, which is often the case.

Ultima 7 -
    Death Scythe, Magic Armour. The Death Scythe is about the best weapon in this game while the Magic Armour is the best armour in the game. And both can be gotten right from the start of the game if you know where to look.

Fallout Tactics -
    MEC Gauss Minigun. Doesn't matter what's standing in front of this weapon, it'll be gone after squeezing the trigger. The very late appearance in the game and the fact that 2mm bullets are incredibly hard to come by makes this weapon very situational. Better save this one for when you really need it.

13. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

Level 100 One-handed, Level 100 Heavy Armor, and a sword that - brought to high Legendary - deals 324 damage and does 10 health absorb in Skyrim.
    Either I onehit or I get onehit nowadays.

14. STCW262

STCW262 Heliosphere

If Flash web games count, then the StormWinds series has the Time Gun.
    It, simply put, freezes enemies in place for a short while. It doesn't seem strong at the start, but after upgrading it, it can freeze enemies for more time and recharge more quickly. The result is that it's possible to stunlock enemies and leave them stuck in positions which expose their weak points.

15. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I just thought of the most overpowered player assets in games. Why, it's so obvious!

Cheats!
    /kill
    /god
    /noclip

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Not exactly what I meant.

I was talking about things available to the player during the normal course of play... as in no cheating, cheat devices, characters/items/weapons that have to be cheated in, etc.

17. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Maybe so but cheesing and cheating are often the same. The difference being that you can give yourself an excuse to use cheesing. Why go through the hasle of exploiting a broken way to make money when you could just spawn in all that money?

18. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Well, the point of the thread is more "these are examples of poor game design" or "bad game balance". Now obviously, cheating is unintended by nearly any developer and as such not part of game design or game balance.

Obviously, Bethesda doesn't intend for you to /noclip through everything or Chucklefish doesn't intend for you to spawn pixels. Yes, these things are possible to do, but they are not part of regular gameplay.

Contrast that to one of my examples in my OP, FF Tactics' Orlandu. He is a character placed in the game, given certain stats and abilities that make him entirely overpowered compared to all your other characters that you normally have access to, hence broken game balance. The design behind that character was deliberate, as I doubt someone "accidentally" made him so incredibly powerful that he is capable of soloing many battles himself, lol.

But ah well.

I suppose the thread kinda devolved after awhile, but yeah that was the original purpose of the thread. Maybe I just didn't state it very well at the beginning?

MilkCalf likes this.
  19. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I know. I was merely giving a side comment.

20. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

My apologies :p

Fine, to add a legit one to the list, uh.
    Uh...

How about the Gauss gun from Half Life 1?
    It's basically aim and cackle maniacally.

Also the Venom chemical thrower

[​IMG]

and the Black Hand Volt Autorifle
    [​IMG]

from C&C Renegade. These two eat through health faster than a lion does meat.
    I also can't stop laughing about how he's holding the laser inside the autorifle.

Jonesy likes this.