Most mindblowing end of a game?

Discussion in 'Games' started by Lil' Mini, May 14, 2016.

1. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Bastion (the game) was awesome.

And you forgot about the BIG choice you make near the end... if you choose to be the good guy and what the enemy's reaction to it is.

You have the choice to grab the wounded guy who caused the Bastion to almost be destroyed and save his life... or you can just leave him there to die. If you grab him, you have to drop your weapon (a ridiculously OP 11th Hour Superpower weapon). While in the middle of the enemy base. If you save his life, your character has to slowly march on while carrying his limp body and the enemies (at first) plug you full of crossbow bolts, and you can still use your healing potions and you can see the exit, but there's at least 50 guys lined up on either side of the exit. And you know if that you had your OP weapon you could flatten them all with no problem....

But no... you chose to be the good guy. You dropped your weapon. So your character slowly walks, taking bolt after bolt in the back and sides and when you're near death they stop shooting (except for one lone soldier about halfway through). That lone soldier shoots you once and the other guy behind him kills him with a spear, lol.

Meanwhile, the Narrator (who doesn't know what is Actually going on in that base) is talking about how Zulf's probably dead by now and the Kid is surely on his way back to the Bastion.

It's just a "woah" moment.

newcomer3 likes this.
  2. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

Right.
    The decision to give up the ability to do Massive Damage with the new weapon.
    And for once in the game, can't defend yourself.
    For the enemy / friend who tried to kill you.

newcomer3 likes this.
  3. CaptainTaz

CaptainTaz Void-Bound Voyager

The ending of Bravely Second nearly gave me a heart attack...

4. newcomer3

newcomer3 Big Damn Hero

Yeah, the end of Bastion really got to me, especially when
    You reset the world, but when you load a new game, you hear Rucks say "I'll see you in the next one, like nothing you did previously mattered at all."
    On the topic of Supergiant Games, the ending of Transistor was something else. BEFORE YOU CLICK THE SPOILER, I HIGHLY RECOMMEND YOU PLAY THE GAME FIRST, AS IT IS ASTOUNDING BUT EASILY SPOILED.
    For those that don't know the ending, and blatantly disregarded my suggestion, in Transistor you play as a character named Red, who was a famous singer in a massive futuristic city. The game starts with her removing a large talking sword, the Transistor, from a dead body. Through the game, you learn more about the Transistor, the voice inside, and the city, while a strange force is slowly corrupting reality itself. You eventually realize that the voice in the sword was the man that was dead in the beginning, and that he was Red's love. Once you finish the final boss, Red decorrupts the area where the man died, sits down beside him, and stabs herself through the chest with the Transistor, while the voice is begging her not to do it.

5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

How about buying the Mass Effect Trilogy, playing all three games over the course of a week, reloading save after save to always end the mission the best way possible only to find...

Shepard has to sacrifice himself for the sake of the universe because somewhere in my stupidity, I missed a paragon check! ;-;

6. Parrotte

Parrotte Supernova

I watched a playthrough of the RPG maker horror game Blank Dream and the end really got to me, as well as the one of Ib.

As for games i've played myself, I must admit not many got to me.
    Killzone 3's blew my mind because of how stupid it was.
    Well, the entire game really.
    Game in a very bad nutshell. Spoilers for Killzone 2, 3 and Shadow Fall

A team of like, 20 men manage to fight their way through the homeworld of a military superpower after surviving a nuke dropping on the city they were in, then fight their way through an army comparable that of Nazi Germany, then manage to take down a walking WMD with a rocket launcher and a minigun, then board a space station, manage to hijack two space fighters, manage to nuke a giant cruiser loaded with more of the same nukes, have it explode in a planet's high orbit and through this nuke the entire planet which gets torn apart by giant amounts of irradiated Petrusite energies attracted to living beings. Oh yeah, and apparently people survived this.?????????????????????????????

-VIDEO CONTAINS SWEARING-

End battle against Stahl's Cruiser + End cutscene.

Still, I freaking love MAWLRs and Helghast cruisers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
  7. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

The RPGMaker horror/puzzle game,The Witch's House.. well, let's just say that the true ending was the last thing I expected to happen, even with subtle hints at the reality of it all.

It's a twist that you honestly don't expect going in blind, and it's just nothing short of seriously messed up. It's so screwed up that it's a little inspiring, I want to be able to write the same sort of horrifying revelations in fiction.

(tw: gore, death and implied torture.

do not read this if you intend to play the game at any point.
    i'm not joking, it'll ruin your whole perspective and enjoyment of the game.
    but if you don't intend to play it, well.. it's admirably-written for horror.)

You were playing as the villain all along: the antagonist, Ellen, swapped bodies with the protagonist before the game starts, leaving the innocent Viola in a body that's swiftly dying from disease.

Then, to make sure that Viola can't get her body back, Ellen hacks off her legs, tears out her eyes, and leaves her to die in a body with tons of horrifyingly powerful magic in it. With that magic, Viola spends the whole game trying to kill Ellen by manipulating the world around her, trying to get revenge for what was done.

The whole ending segment is the protagonist -- in the antagonist's body -- physically chasing you down, tired of using magic and instead crawling along at a swift pace to try and get her body back. And eventually she catches up, crawling outside and through the rain before getting too tired to keep going.

It just so happens that Viola's father was looking for her this whole time, and as he shows up, he doesn't realize that his daughter's soul was swapped into another body-- so, believing Ellen's his true daughter because of the body she inhabits, he sees Viola as this horrific monster, this unfamiliar body with disgusting injuries.

She crawls closer, sobbing his name, and she gets shot three times before dying on the spot.

"The End", with the rain pouring down over her shattered body, empty eye sockets staring hopelessly at the screen.

The most merciful thing in this game that you can do is... absolutely nothing.

There's seriously an ending where you stay in the first area of the game for a full hour, and if you do that, Viola just dies on her own, presumably from bloodloss. With that happening, the magic spell on the whole area is lifted, and you can just go home, thus ending the game.
    If you pursue any of the other endings (incomplete, true, or perfect true), Viola has the same awful fate, so the "-- ending" is probably the kindest thing you can possibly do for her.

That being said, I kinda giggled at seeing EarthBound / Mother 2 mentioned earlier, since it has a pretty phenomenal ending even after the really dire circumstances that were described. The final boss was definitely an experience and severe mood whiplash that somehow works given its lore and the situation, and then the whole ending segment afterwards is so wonderful and happy. Good stuff.

Mother 3 has a pretty amazing ending, too: you know who you're going to be fighting long before you get there, but the fight resolves in a way that slowly creeps up on you and executes in a moment of breathlessness. Geez, the tears were real the first time around, and the whole situation just hurts.
    At least there was a note of hopefulness in the very end, but Mother 3 was easily the heaviest game in the trilogy.

8. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

The ending of EarthBound was kinda cheesed once you found out that...

The boss is technically invincible until you pray X amount of times. I once had a group so strong where people had 4-digit HP meters (that made weird symbols display in combat) and enough stats that I could steamroll anything thanks to the rock candy exploit. But despite me doing far more than 100,000 damage to it (which is about how much Pray ends up doing when you kill it), it still wouldn't die.

So it was like "oh, cute they made it invincible unless you use the pray command..." after I did like 250k damage and lost track of how much I was actually doing.

So I felt it was kinda cheesed lol. Not a huge fan of battles where you MUST do "x action" or you can't win, period. Almost as much as I hate "you cannot win this fight no matter what you do".

That's why I love examples that break this mold, such as the first Gades fight in Lufia 2. You're meant to lose, and the fight is absolutely hard-as-balls to actually win, but it IS possible to win that fight and you get a ridiculously OP item (even though it has a crippling weakness) if you do.

Jareix Cryvix likes this.
  9. Ren Fox

Ren Fox Big Damn Hero

teh feels

10. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

Fun fact about that boss: it does have a finite HP counter, but it's something ridiculous like 9999 to a certain power. Really big numbers.

Hypothetically, with oodles of patience and the Sea Pendant + Franklin Badge combo on someone, you could kill it with brute force.. but you'd run out of PP + items before you got there, and the equipment doesn't make you immune to its attacks, just highly resistant, so the freeze and thunder damage would kill you eventually. You can't PSI Magnet it, either.

It's also possible to kill it in the GBA port with poison! Something was overlooked in Mother1+2 that made it so you could throw a snake / viper / snake bag, and that poison would count towards the "real" HP that you damage with the pray command. That also ends up skipping all the associated cutscenes, which makes for a pretty anticlimatic victory. It's cool, though.

But personally, I really like fights that make you have to find a solution other than fighting. It's refreshing compared to the grind of traditional RPGs, and even better when there's still a ton of strategy and careful planning involved. (Just don't be like me and automatically assume a boss ignores shields. eyes @ mother 1.)

Battles where "you're meant to lose it but you can still win it maybe" can be pretty funny sometimes, now that you bring it up-- the Tales of series is infamous for doing this. I've had times where I'm not sure if I'm just underleveled but meant to win, or if I'm meant to lose and move on, which makes life a bit awkward sometimes..

There's one fight in particular, in Tales of Symphonia, that's against a massively overpowered boss. He's got enough defense to take only 1 damage per hit from even high-leveled players, he can dish out 2.5k+ damage with a basic attack, enough to one-shot anyone at that point in the game, and the battle times out after about a minute if you survive. And he has 60k HP.
    But apparently it's still winnable if you're overleveled enough to crack the defense stat. :') No bearing on the plot because it'd throw everything for a loop, but still fun.

11. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Trust me, with as high defense and attack that I had using the "glitched" characters with the rock candy exploit... if I had known that it wasn't infinite and that it was just merely more than 250k, I probably could have done it if I felt like spending hours and hours and hours doing it.

We're talking a Ness with 1000+ pp and high enough defense that the boss's attacks barely tickle him. Just go in there loaded down with brain food lunch, etc, I bet it could be done without a gameshark/game genie.

Undertale is probably the king of that, but then I'm sure you've heard of Undertale unless you just starting logging onto the internet yesterday, lol.

Star Ocean 2 does something similar with the "survive this ridiculously hard boss for 60 seconds" and if you don't, it is legit game over lol. Catches a lot of people who are used to hopeless boss fights off-guard.

12. Nerd-with-a-Pencil

Nerd-with-a-Pencil Title Not Found

While we're on the topic of Undertale, of all the games I've played this award goes to the Neutral route.

13. voiditect

voiditect Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Bastion... yeah, The ending is great. The Zulf choice, The Ura corridor, and the restore/evacuate choice. The evacuation... My favorite. Owlboy's finale is number 2. both Were.. Amazing endings. The restoration ending leaves SO MUCH possibility.... Some fangame maker should make Bastion 2. Better yet, Supergiant themselves.

[​IMG]

The restoration ending. BASTION AIRSHIP!

Ren Fox likes this.
  14. Belon

Belon Orbital Explorer

Braid, finishing last level left me staring at the screen for good 10 minutes :V

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
  15. Brockster17

Brockster17 Phantasmal Quasar

The ending of spore is crazy. After Octillions of centuries, a species evolves to be like human, and manage to get to the center of the universe. They must have been expecting some unbelievable reward, but instead, you meet a robot... named steve, who invites you to a free breakfast on "The third rock to Sol" or more commonly known as Earth.

16. Xylia

Xylia Tiy's Beard

Meh, it can be speedrun if you know what to do, lol.

Lodish likes this.
  17. MS_NorthEastern

MS_NorthEastern Orbital Explorer

Night in the woods.
    The story is so fantastic, with great characters, foreshadowing and twists and turns that the player never sees coming
    it ends with a murder cult of old trump supporters, a clthulu like cosmic horror, and a physic handyman Jesus.

Inception bwom

18. EmissaryOfInfinity

EmissaryOfInfinity Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just uh...just gonna go digging about in the past real quick for a moment here...
    The reason the BSL can destroy an entire planet is the detonation mechanisms on-board, which would've caused damage to SR388 even if it was still in orbit. They're phenomenally powerful, so that they could wipe out whatever mutant super-beasts the scientists might've cooked up. Combine their detonation with the inevitable meltdown of the power generator, and the fact that SR388 is a very hollow planet made of exceptionally malleable material, and you get a catastrophic explosion of world-shattering proportions.

As to my input, I'd have to say Omega Boost, for the PS1.
    (This first paragraph is taken from the wiki)
    The basic plot is that in the past, an artificial intelligence named AlphaCore peacefully and silently co-existed with the human race. One day, the humans became aware of AlphaCore and its capabilities, and were shocked by what it is capable of. Humanity tried to 'dump' AlphaCore but it rebelled against humanity, starting a war between humans and machines. This war goes on into the distant future, with mankind steadily being outmatched by AlphaCore, who is capable of destroying entire cities easily. In this future, scientists devise a way to travel through time in order stop AlphaCore. However, AlphaCore discovers this plan and steals the time travel technology. It builds a giant shaft, the time shaft, on a desolate, mined out planet named ETA, and uses this to travel back in time and alter ENIAC, which in this future is considered the first artificial intelligence. It plans to implant a virus into one of ENIAC's vacuum tubes, thus creating a predestination paradox and ensuring its survival in the present day. To counter AlphaCore's scheme, human scientists create the Omega Boost, a giant robot capable of traveling through time using the Direct Drive System (DDS). Lester J. Hemming, an experienced pilot and one of very few who can pilot the Omega Boost, is charged with traveling back in time to stop AlphaCore by finding ENIAC and replacing the AlphaCore infected vacuum tube, thus stopping AlphaCore before it even has a chance to exist.
    After fighting through wave after wave of cybernetic baddies and enormous space creatures, desperately attempting to get through AlphaCore's defenses before it can become too powerful and escape to the past, after finally overcoming all of this and reaching the time shaft...AlphaCore takes control of it and sends you even further into the future. You awake in a time where all organic life has presumably been wiped out, and you have to take the stronghold by storm once again, breaking through defenses several orders of magnitudes more terrifying than before (to the point that the entire planet you're fighting on has been covered in circuitry and sheet metal, with turrets every fifty feet). Upon finally re-entering the time shaft, you find an enormous robot, which you have to assume is AlphaCore's new housing. You blast through it as a self-destruct timer counts down in the background - AlphaCore would rather take you down with it than see a victory by a human, it seems. When the juggernaut is taken down, it shatters in a blast violent enough to obliterate the floor below it, and reveal some disturbing golden mass below, which promptly lashes out at you in a last-ditch effort to save itself. With seconds left, you tear through it effortlessly, assuming this much too easy for something as wily as AlphaCore.
    ...and you're immediately proven right as the time shaft activates once again. Only this time, it doesn't blast you off into another time for a repeat cycle. AlphaCore has re-purposed it, turned it into some sort of endless worm hole chamber. It was buying time until it could flee into a new body it had constructed: an energy cube to shield its fragile body, with shields that could reflect your homing lasers, and sentinel turrets around it that would draw fire from your manual blaster. With careful aim you take this down, only to discover a new form - the cube races off to the entrance of the worm hole, only to come storming back in a leviathan worm mecha, larger than any boss you've seen so far. Every inch of it is coated in turrets and shielding, but it's obviously thrown-together and half-finished. AlphaCore is growing desperate, rushed. It knows it's close to defeat, that its resources are being drawn thin, and time is running out more quickly than it'd anticipated. After (far too) many dodge boosts and laser salvos, you blast through the body of the worm and reach the head, where the energy cube lies firmly nestled in the mouth. Yet more bullets from the manual blaster, yet more dodge boosts to escape the massive, all-consuming lasers it fires in response. The battle grows tedious and grueling, but you're close to victory, you can feel it. And then the worm goes down, and the time shaft activates fully. For a moment, it seems AlphaCore has finally lost control. Victory is within your grasp. But in the distance, you see a familiar golden blob taking shape...
    AlphaCore has been watching, recording, assimilating. It knows now that your Omega Boost mecha is too powerful for it to overcome, so it one-ups you: a bigger, better Omega Boost, in the shape of an ancient god, golden light pouring out of it. It's still fragile as ever, as every bullet and laser you pour into it rips away layer after layer of gold-plated hide, but it seems unnaturally resilient compared to how much material is being torn away from its body. In fact, everything about it seems unnatural; it dashes around at near-light speed, it fires volley after volley of massive golden lasers, with homing almost superior to your own. In its eons of solitude, it seems AlphaCore became almost god-like in its ability to manipulate reality thanks to its studies of the time shaft, and this entire battle is like some sort of mechanized fantasy being played out before your very eyes. But through the surreal, breakneck-pace battle, you manage to overcome this demigod AI, and see it break down in a fit of psychotic laughter as it refuses to accept its defeat. It no longer has the strength of will to keep fighting, or even to retain its form, and reverts to the shapeless golden blob you saw before. In its weakened state, you assimilate it into your Omega Boost, using the data gained by doing so to re-activate the time shaft and travel back to the past to put an end to all of this.

You plummet through space-time, bursting through to the age of ENIAC and crashing into a mountainside in the dead of night, your Omega Boost too badly-damaged to control its landing. With a simple warning, a few lines exchanged, you're given clearance and replace the infected vacuum tube. And you leave in near-silence, no celebration or extraordinary thank-yous. And you clamber back into your battered Omega Boost, rocketing off into the night sky to blast forward into the future. A future where the war never happened, where perhaps you were never even born. A future where no one knows of your struggles and triumphs, or why they should bother to know who you are in the first place. After all of this spectacle, the only thing the world will remember you for is replacing a faulty vacuum tube in an outdated computer that no one cares to remember. And you smile, because you know you've just kicked the ass of the single most terrifying machine to ever exist, along with every bastard progeny it had the gall to spew out.

Cyber-Toast likes this.
  19. Lintton

Lintton Guest

Dragon's Dogma, with even more mindblowingness in new game plus.

As the credits began to play and the book showing my results began to open, I cried. The whole of the experience ending, what happend to my pawn, and the music box credits caused such a wave of emotion. It would have looked downright silly except to those who had once been enraptured by a literary classic.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 6, 2017