What did I even..?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Fawie42, Sep 20, 2016.

1. Fawie42

Fawie42 Intergalactic Tourist

Hello all first post and I've gotta say it's gonna be quite interesting.

So first date, W6Y2
    I was out late attempting to catch the Glacierfish and I noticed the time was drawing close to the dreaded 2AM. I began rushing home to try and avoid another 1k G fine from Joja mart or random pickpocket or Dr. "Penny Pincher" Harvey (no not our precious Penny Bookworm). Anyway, I made it inside my tier 3 house and dashed to bed, only to collapse just on the edge of it mere inches away from my Wife Abigail... Who also happened to be pregnant at the time. The "you passed" out event began and I slumped onto the floor/bed and then...

The game asked "Do you wish to proceed to the next morning?", thinking the game had thrown me a bone I hit yes, immediately after a prompt saying "Abigail has given birth to a girl in the night." popped up, but when the game asked me to enter a name for my lovely daughter, it proceeded to skip by and show the payroll for Winter 6. Confused I hit confirm and then the day bar moved down but it said "Winter 7"... and then proceeded to Winter 8. Concerned I wandered back to the nursery to see if my daughter had been born with the name"<blank>", but to my surprise there was no baby in the crib and Abigail only talked about going into town today.

So that's the jist of what happened, for those too lazy to read

TL;DR
    I passed out next to my bed and glitched the game

I'm almost certain this isn't a unique situation but it just seemed rather peculiar and I just had to share. I would like to note that I've been noting other strange occurrences while I played (random cobble path appearing in the Community Center from my farm, glitched walking sprites, etc.) But I'm just baffled at all the things that happened. I apparently skipped a day, skipped having a child, and still didn't catch that damn Glacier Fish.

Has anyone else had strange happenings happen? And more importantly what might've happened to my child? The missed day I could care less about since it's Winter, it's just one less day to fish or mine. I just want to know what might've happened.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Oh dang, that's one heck of a bug.
      I've lost a couple of babies due to bugs too, but none like this. And I haven't skipped a day entirely either. The game actually asked if you wanted to proceed to the next morning? What? That's odd.

It really just look like the passed out event bugged out the birth and that's why you don't have a baby. No idea why you skipped a day though.

• Fawie42

I think it happened due to me passing out, which triggers an automatic progression, but I was in the bed so it asked if I also wanted to progress to the next morning. I also know for a fact it happened on W6 because I was checking when Lobster Bisque was gonna be available on The Queen of Sauce (W14 for the curious) and noted I just needed to wait 8 more days. So I think it happened because I entered the area to progress the day at the exact tick that caused the Pass Out event.

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I've never passed out so I can't offer much advice there, but the thing about random cobble paths appearing...does this by any chance happen to you during stormy weather? I've had it happen a few times and it's usually because lightning has struck something on my farm and for some reason, the game decides to pop the item over to whatever screen I'm currently on, instead of just making it disappear. I saw cobble path down in the mines once, and another time a wood path appeared in Cindersap near Marnie's farm. Both times I returned to my farm to find that item missing from the ground.

I don't know if this is intentional (perhaps the game's way of letting you know there's been damage to your farm) or just a weird side-effect of the lightning hitting things on the farm.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, the cobblestone path bug sometimes happens during lightningstorms. The first time I had that happen, one popped out of a wall in Pierre and Caroline's bedroom. I was so confused xD
            And I've had it happen in the secret woods a couple of times and loads of times in the mine. It's a curious little bug.

• MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I have had this happen to me once. Missed a whole day of crop watering and it was my last cycle of the season, all perfectly timed to come up on the last day. An entire field of garbage... I was distraught, to say the least. Luckily it hasn't happened on a birth day... yet...

• Corraidhín

Corraidhín Supernova

Since recieving your offspring is most likely an "event", I figure passing out confused the game as of what was happening, as it can only handle one event at a time when 2 events happen in the same place, at the same time, one is shown but both flagged as if it happened, there was a bug fix meant for heart events in the past. If you kept playing, your child might be lost and you will have to repeat the entire process.

• Allenb60

Allenb60 Orbital Explorer

That's really unfortunate, if you still have the backup saves it might be repairable? The wiki explains that this problem can happen but doesn't really explain why it happens http://stardewvalleywiki.com/Children

• Fawie42

Yeah the cobble path issue happened during a thunder storm so that's that one explained easily enough. But yeah this whole event flagging issue is really mind boggling. I mean I wouldn't mind playing a second file but I'm just a bit distraught. I'm mostly hoping the game has de-flagged the event as happening and will allow me to have a second child still. I did see that the event is skipped so possibly it'll "re-happen" this next night (I had stopped playing to report this bug and for fear of what might have resulted from it) but yeah quite an interesting bug I must say. I've also had weird animation bugs, mostly involving the Bus and one when exiting the Skull Cavern. Bus ones I assume are common with everyone, able to move the camera South when riding from Desert back home, when stepping off the bus if the direction was held from the previous bug character will move Southward when the doors open but walking cycle will be frozen until the movement is ceased and re-engaged, and for SC when exiting via ladder and immediately holding Down+Right game displayed *both* Down and Right facing sprites. Minor update: Glacierfish still being a pain in the ass... I'll have him in the bar then suddenly "OH I'M GONNA JUMP FROM UP TO DOWN TO UP TO DOWN TO UP TO, OH LOOK I GOT AWAY! :D" I've been using Trap and Cork bobbers @ Lv 10 fishing, but after seeing the Lobster Bisque's effects I'll keep trying but when I get to it I'll cook up some shellfish. Also the game tends to autosave after every day and regrettably I've never made any backup's of my save. But I'm relaunching as I type this and I hope that this coming night we'll be a proper family, else I'll just have to settle for one child.

• Fawie42

UPDATE: Just so happened to be the Festival of Ice, but after winning the fishing contest and returning home to sleep, there was no announcement of a child being born T^T
                      This isn't necessarily game breaking but I do believe this bug does need attention, though not top of the list fixing, but certainly up there. Hopefully Abigail asks if I want a child again soon...

• Ambaaargh

Ambaaargh Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

I think someone had a similar problem of their child event getting passed over like that. From what I recall it does sort itself out either by happening or you'll get the prompt asking about a kid sooner or later. Cause I think code-wise its like the game has a "do they have the proper house? Check. Do they have a spouse? check. Do they have 0 or 1 kid? Check. Ok start the count-down to ask for a baby..." that happens. So when you accept the baby prompt it starts the count-down to baby. But when the hiccup happens, the count-down goes away but you don't get the kid added to the counter...which means it defaults back to the original game-check of "do they have the house/spouse/spot open for kid? Count down to ask for baby begins in 3..2..."

Cause the last person who reported this issue basically just had their spouse ask if they wanted a kid a few days later. Still though, a bit of a weird glitch. :rofl:

ChaosAzeroth likes this.
                        • Sabram

Sabram Starship Captain

I had nearly the exact same thing happen before actually. You dont need to worry, as Ambaaargh is correct in that the game will just have Abigail ask you again in about a week or so if you want to have a baby. I lost my adopted kid with Abby due to the same thing, but about a week later i got the prompt in the middle of the night of her asking if we should adopt one again.

So you're all good, it will just take longer to have your second bundle of joy.

• Fawie42

Well that's fortunate for me then, idk how I always seem to manage to break games though. I've had very VERY strange things happen in my games. But yeah thanks all for the responses, did manage to get my hands on the Glacier Fish, figures I just needed to eat a Dish o' the Sea I had lying around. I might open another topic to ask about why the wiki has info about Gold Star Quality items that can't possibly have that attribute, as well as what's the purpose of growing Gold Star Hops if they just default into normal Pale Ale.

• Minimanta

Minimanta Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, you lost the baby this time but she'll ask you for another one eventually.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

You've submitted this in the Support forum, correct? Because the only way ConcernedApe will see it is if it's posted there.

• Fawie42

I was wondering if there was a more proper place to post this. Certainly I'll post it there when I have some free time later.

• Rezzo1971

Rezzo1971 Space Spelunker

Maybe the Goblin King stole the baby. His one last thing before he went before the pearly gates?

• Allenb60

Allenb60 Orbital Explorer

It should be a known issue by now? Even the official wiki page about kids acknowledges the problem...

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Never hurts to put up a reminder, in my opinion.

• ChaosAzeroth

ChaosAzeroth Existential Complex

I had to go through THREE TIMES of being asked if I wanted to adopt a child by Abigail. I think she secretly canceled the adoption or something....