Modding Discussion What Steam Comments On Your Mods Annoy You?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Surn_Thing, Sep 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Surn_Thing

Surn_Thing Pangalactic Porcupine

For me it's:
    - Asking for select features of a mod to be released as a separate mod.
    - Asking for a slightly different version of a mod.
    - Asking for help for things already explained in the mod description.
    - Asking if it's compatible with other mods.

Anyone else feel irate when it comes to the Steam community? Anyone else get a sense of dread when you see that you have new comments?

2. Crusism

Crusism Big Damn Hero

I guess? When they start being rather pushy about certain things and try to put their 'creative demand' on you.

This really depends on the mod, but, yeah, I wish people read first; there are a few mods where the instructions aren't like what's in the game or just are too brief for you to not find any of the modded stuff inside the game.

3. Errors4l

Errors4l Spaceman Spiff

Although I dont think it is necessary to create a "hate" thread, I will share the following on the matter.

People generally seem quite nice and willing to help (eg. I've had people contact me about creating compatibility patches for my mods), but there is a particular set of people that come to me with issues after ignoring all warnings they're given.
    Steam does a decent job at making it clear what dependencies mods have, yet the most common issue reported to me is that the games throws an error on launch. The only reason this happens is because they ignored the flashing red lights, and I wish I didn't have to deal with these reports over and over.

Crusism likes this.
  4. leinglo

leinglo Phantasmal Quasar

Oh, that's an easy one.
    Make a weapons mod,
    Be overwhelmed with people going "MAKE ARMOR!"

First couple of times it's flattering that people think I'm that good, even though I'm not, and I'm sure to say so politely.
    Around the 50+ mark, I stop responding, because if I do I'll end up doing this
    upload_2016-9-20_4-29-0.png

Anyway, in general terms I guess that would fall under the purview of:
    - Repeatedly asking for features you don't plan to add/don't want to add/aren't skilled enough to add.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  5. Mirau

Mirau Pangalactic Porcupine

I've had some folks tell me they were getting some ludicrous errors after installing my chat mod (which literally only alters your chat box).

They kept sending me messages on how they've tried everything to fix it. Then a few days later - "oh yeah nvm it was another mod".

:wut:

I guess it comes with the territory. I (for the most part?) know what I did to make the mod and what it all changes. I'm not going to claim that I know 100% of the possibilities that it could have, but I'm fairly certain it wouldn't crash your entire game (especially after testing it). Something along the lines of "It's okay to question something you know, but it's not okay to question something you have no idea how it works".

Surn_Thing and Errors4l like this.
  6. C0bra5

C0bra5 Oxygen Tank

Been g the creator of the pony modpack, a.k.a. that one mod that adds ponies to the game, I do get some tasteless comments from time to time, but I've either been deleting these annoying comments or just ignoring them.

Though what infuriates me the most is when someone tells me there is a crash when they do something. I always give them some instructions on how to send the log my way, but this week I had 10 report of the same crash, and out of the 10, nobody actually either responded or sent some kind of information my way. This kind of thing drives me NUTZ.

7. FrAndromeda

FrAndromeda Subatomic Cosmonaut

My fiancé gets "It crashes my game, please help me.", too, with no further details or a logfile. They never come back after that so I guess they weren't that desperate for help or a fix...

8. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

I have a mod with interesting stuff like chameleon doors, liquid restricting blocks, etc - barely got any notice where as a far more simple mod of mine is far more popular than I'd imagine, and that's just how it goes on a workshop of thousands of mods but no category/organization system at all. The workshop being a hot mess isn't the issue. Not getting noticed isn't the issue. But...

I finally get a comment on it... "thx alot now when i click on my player my game crashes, back to the start."

I don't have anything that COULD cause this. At least not in that particular mod.

Perhaps they think "the log is a metaphor"