1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

My hand hurts after playing

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Glitter, Sep 13, 2016.

?

Anyone else get this?

1. Yep.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Nope. You weirdo.

81.8%
  3. What do you mean?

18.2%
  1. Glitter

Glitter Space Hobo

It's because I have to continuously hold down the right click button to mine stuff, and because when you start out you have to mine quite a lot it knackers my hand.

Can I make it so that I only have to click once to activate it then let go, and keep the matter manipulater on? And to deactivate you click again?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

If you are getting fatigue in your hand from this action, then you must not be used to PC gaming in general. Your body will adjust and it will become a non-issue. No need to change the whole game because of it.

3. Glitter

Glitter Space Hobo

I play league of legends and final fantasy, but that's about it. xD I play Garry's mod from time to time too.

4. Tamorr

Tamorr Supernova

Upgrade the MM fully... I guess... The power upgrade, I think. Which does help a bit on how long you have to hold at a time. Unless you are trying to level a planet, which is a tedious task to begin with...

I have only experience that sort of fatigue every so often from extremely long play sessions(rarely). My only advice is maybe take breaks every so often if you don't already. Definitely does take time to get use to a different style of game, as the ones you mention are in total different genre & playstyles.

Maybe see if using a controller helps; if you have one to use.

About all I can think of off hand...

5. lazarus78

Like I said, you will adapt to it. Your hand just isn't used to it and this is not abnormal. No different than, say, getting muscle pain from running around a bit more than you usually do, or whatever.

My job has me on the computer all day, on top of my personal time playing games. Hand fatigue is a rarity. Eye-strain on the other hand, you never get used to that shit.

6. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

You don't? Huh, eye strain doesn't seem to affect me unless I've stayed up long enough to see the sunrise. Unless that's what you meant.

CaptainTaz likes this.
  7. Zlyvr

Zlyvr Phantasmal Quasar

For left button go to "Mouse Properties" and check the "Turn on ClickLock" box (don't forget turn it off after mining - it's terrible).

For right button you need some software to enable mouse macro.
    I'm using Logitech Gaming Software for it.

8. qualiyah

qualiyah Phantasmal Quasar

I have never gotten hand strain from using a mouse; I wonder if your mouse has buttons that are somewhat stickier or harder to press down than is strictly necessary? It may be that a different mouse would be easier on your hand.

Alternately, perhaps you're holding the mouse button down harder than you need to; if that's so, you might be able to consciously train yourself to press the button more lightly, and then you wouldn't get fatigued as easily.

I've actually gotten (temporary) tendonitis in my hand from mouse usage (which is ridiculous, but whatever), so just to be on the safe side I think it's best to make sure you're not straining your hands more than necessary when playing.

9. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

If hand cramps happen, you should just take your hand off of the mouse for a second every so often.

10. lazarus78

Just generally. It differs for everyone, but those that get it, from my experience, it isnt something you ever really adapt to.

11. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

do you palm or claw grip your mouse? I can guess claw grip and extended right click could be a bit unconvinient.
    possible option, buya mouse with a lock button.

12. CaptainTaz

CaptainTaz Void-Bound Voyager

I know a friend who got some mouse cramps a lot, turns out he was pressing his wrist against the desk pretty hard, which was killing his circulation. Maybe try putting more of the weight on the mouse instead of your arm?