1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Is it possible to speedrun the ruin in one day?

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by SupAymon, Sep 3, 2016.

1. SupAymon

SupAymon Big Damn Hero

Last edited: Sep 25, 2022
  2. Dante1120

Dante1120 Astral Cartographer

Yea, I beat the ruin in like... 10 hours non-modded without truly speedrunning.

3. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

One ingame day, no.
    One real life day, easily. Due to the random generation, it'd be difficult to get a consistent time, but I could see a best case speedrun probably beating the Ruin within a couple hours of creating a fresh character and universe.

4. LordBaconator

LordBaconator Scruffy Nerf-Herder

It helps that the game is one where you can easily get side tracked and have a fun time while doing so.

When I was playing the story I probably spent an entire day doing tons of stuff that had absolutely no relation to finding a Hylotl city and it was satisfying.

5. RedPanda_Warrior

RedPanda_Warrior Star Wrangler

I find the main storyline to be enticing, it's hard for me to get side tracked from the actual thing. That's why I don't like Frackin Universe: There's so much stuff that is like a second storyline, and that storyline clashes with the original storyline. Why? Well, the addition of so many new planets makes it difficult to find the type of racial settlement you want, which makes the scanning missions a whole new level of difficulty. I had to use /admin several times. It also makes it difficult for construction, because, say, you want to build something Hylotl related. Normally, you'd look for ocean planets to find some Hylotl furniture. But, all the new planets Frackin universe overrides th vanilla planets so it becomes tedious and difficult to find the planets you' are looking for! It also cost unreal amounts of erichius to find them. You try looking on tidewater planets, find out there are no settlements there. I personally, use mods that don't conflict with the main storyline. Just my opinion.

6. LordBaconator

I look at Frackin' Universe as the FTB of the Starbound community. All those Minecraft mods are super awesome and cool and great, but god damn are they complicated.

7. tehcavy

tehcavy Ketchup Robot

Less complicated, more unstructured and disorganised. You don't get an explanation or a clear plan, you're just getting dumped straight into all that.

I mean, take Industrial Craft of Minecraft fame: you always clearly know what your goal is: get copper, get iron, get redstone, build generator and load it with coal, build electrofurnace to smelt faster, build macerator for double output of materials, build windmill/solar panel/biogenerator to get rid of coal dependancy, get alloy armor, get inductive furnace to smelt ores for nearly free, embark on epic quest for nano armor, dabble into nuclear energetics, you get the idea.

Now, imagine all of this not unlocking gradually, but rather falling on your head at once, and in myriad different totally new locations. Oh, a new outpost, what's up, oh an armory, except I can't craft a thing (as in, don't even know the recipes so I don't know what resources to keep and what to trash), oh a mining laser, neat but maximally upgraded MM probs better, oh extraction chamber, what are all those methanol-iodine-sulfur-biomatter I don't understand, alright where is the stuff at, Inferno planet? What do you mean "default EPPs not working"? Alright, how about that Wasteland planet? Local raiders got an incredible combination of tank-grade weapons and craptastic loot, and I hadn't found anything worthwhile underground in one or two hours there either. Protoplanet? Local dinosaur or something almost nommed me, I got stuck in some honey biome with some kind of bees with armor piercing stings, and what is that mutavisk I keep hearing about? Screw that, I pick a random planet then go there. Wow is this dark there, what is that tree, oh some mushroom, it doesn't actually do anything upon eating (or I didn't notice), oh a dinosaurs again, another bloody honey biome, and now I stepped on some stone with green splotches on it and rapidly dying from some kind of DOT effect.

I mean, it's not necessary a bad mod, not by a long shot. You just need a lot of free time, liberal applications of trial and error method (and occasional peek into wiki or unpacked assets) and a crapton of farming to understand how this mod works and enjoy it. That, or I'm just butthurt over the fact that it gave me a headache last time I tried to make sense of this.

8. LordBaconator

In all honesty my experience with Minecraft mods was your experience with FU. I'm not a dumb by any stretch of the imagination; I could just never get them to mesh with my play style in a way that felt intuitive and manageable for my needs.

9. Aimbot

Aimbot Void-Bound Voyager

Id expect the speed run should take no less than 9 hours

10. Shaadaris

Shaadaris Giant Laser Beams

Good, 'cause there are already ones down to almost 5 hours.

11. Hawklaser

Hawklaser Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Really the biggest determining factor in a speed run for Starbound is how lucky one gets in finding the the scanning objects and decent enough gear to keep going. End up with a good area and it can go pretty fast as it doesn't take much to burn through the first few story instances.

12. Littleman9Mew2

Littleman9Mew2 Zero Gravity Genie

Really, since the game is all the same to everyone, you can find a good planet and (lots of fuel, again lucky deposits) it's technically possible to get good planet spawns and mark 'em down for that. I mean Minecraft has some "set seed" runs that have incredibly good spawns, so a "set planet" run is possible.

13. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Whats amazing about a game taking 4 days? thats way too short for a possibly endles sandbox game. usual standard rpg's are said to be like 100hours, most standard shooters like 10-20hours.

Zlyvr likes this.