REQUEST Anyone tried to make hallway wallpaper changeable?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by scrptrx, Sep 3, 2016.

1. scrptrx

scrptrx Void-Bound Voyager

I opened the maps for the farmhouse and I couldn't for the life of me figure out why the hallway wasn't wallpaperable in the game.

Obviously it's something to do with the wall portion itself... but also the hallways have special tile images - walls with borders. And because the wallpaper-space in the hallway is between these two tiles with borders, not 90-degree square blocks like the wallpaperable rooms, I figure that's why the hallway walls will be forever ugly without manual editing and new coloring in the tilesheet.

But... I'm gonna whine anyway, and hope that someday someone will make a mod for that, OR it'll be patched...

• MoonlitBrenya

MoonlitBrenya Existential Complex

I feel your pain, the hallways drive me bonkers. Would be awesome if there was a way to change it. The nursery one is the WORST!

• Entoarox

Entoarox Oxygen Tank

Customisation of the floor and walls of the farm house is heavily hardcoded, until the move to FarmHand and 1.1 we arent going to be able to mess with it.

• mirnamika

mirnamika Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I was able to change mine, you have to replace 2 wallpapers in the walls_and_floors.xnb . The first one is for the hall to bedroom and the second for the hall to nursing room. Hope this helps, and works for you :)

walls_and_floors.png

• LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

Just curious, would you happen to have that handy? I don't have a way to edit the xnb's myself but I know how to swap them out, if someone else has one with the walls already fixed. I'm fine with the wall that goes from the living room to the bedroom being default, but that one that goes to the nursery has got to go. (Would honestly rather it just be default too, I'll never EVER use that nursery wallpaper for anything.)

• staarfruit

staarfruit Pangalactic Porcupine

• LuthienNightwolf

Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
            • Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

It's probably just me, but I'm confused. Do you mean you have to replace the two parts of the .xnb with your desired wallpaper, and that's the only way to change it? Or do you mean that once it's been replaced, you can change it in-game at will? (I know that the latter sounds ridiculous, but I can always hope)

• LuthienNightwolf

I think they mean that first one - basically you're replacing the wallpapers you don't like with ones that you do, so that anytime that wallpaper shows up in the game (be it on the walls already or in Pierre's shop) it'll look the way you want it to, instead of the original design. Same as how there are mods to change the look of buildings, furniture etc.

mirnamika likes this.
                • Unassuming Obelisk

Unassuming Obelisk Big Damn Hero

Oh, okay, right. I figured that was probably it. Thanks!

• scrptrx

I don't really understand the Farmhouse map files. I just modded my tbin maps for Farmhouse2 (my current upgrade) and packed and then unpacked to check - sure enough, the maps are changed from that stupid children's wallpaper to a generic one. But loading the game, it's still the children's wallpaper. I don't get it. Why doesn't simply changing the base map change the wallpaper? I'm certain I've put them in the right place. I know they're the right files because deleting said files crashes the game lol.

So what you're saying is that CA wanted us SO BADLY to have children... lol... that he made it that difficult to change the Farmhouse hallway wallpaper in that you have to edit the tilesheet too? Does that mean editing the farmhouse map does nothing? I'm so confused.

ETA: editing the XML worked

Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
                    • scrptrx

FarmHand?

• mirnamika

mirnamika Scruffy Nerf-Herder

That was my point, just edit the two wallpapers and replace them with the wallpapers you like,and the hallway ones will change. I'm sorry if I'm hard to understand,english is not my native.

• LuthienNightwolf

Does anyone have an edited xnb they can toss me? Anything but the ugly dinosaur and egg wallpaper, replacing it with the default is fine.

• scrptrx

No idea if anything already existed, google didn't think so, so I made a mod.
                            It's a walls_and_floors.xnb replacer which means it does what people in this thread talked about, changing the tilesheet png where the textures of wallpapers and floors are mapped from.
                            For now I just did a beige. More in the future.
                            http://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/535/?

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                            • LuthienNightwolf

Oh nice! That's muuuuch better. lol I'll definitely check it out, though...I noticed you are open to requests. Might I poke you later on for some nature-themed prints? I'm even willing to help design, I just lack the know-how for putting the actual sheets together.

• scrptrx

I just updated the mod with an overhaul. A few nature ones in there, but there are only four choices of default children's hallway wallpaper (beige, blue, pink, wood).
                                More could be added at some point, I just swapped things around in the tilesheet when doing so.

LuthienNightwolf likes this.
                                • LuthienNightwolf

Wonderful! I'll take a look when I get back on my PC, I'm surfing on my phone right now. lol

scrptrx likes this.